Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17

Author Topic: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05  (Read 27809 times)

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
Re: Fishheads - A Succession Fishing Village - 47.05
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2021, 02:28:45 pm »

I'm here!
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2021, 02:29:29 pm »

Albeit - I'll let Strika take my spot if I get next, if he's already begun.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2021, 02:18:11 am »

Can we swap? I haven't started proper play, but I did setup the save and started planning my turn.

Edit for extra clarity: I have a 5-day extended week-end coming (Friday to Tuesday) on account of Orthodox Easter, which means I'll have more time than usual.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 04:07:57 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2021, 02:59:04 am »

Can we swap? I haven't started proper play, but I did setup the save and started planning my turn.
That sounds to me like you've already begun. :) Planning is at least 40% of what playing dwarf fortress is.

I'll swap you in the turn order.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2021, 08:18:30 am »

Yeah - thanks. Next time it's my turn, if I don't reply shortly after, just send me a DM - I'm a bit forgetful.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2021, 11:47:59 am »

Looking forward to it! May I sign up for the next available slot, giving preference to others who might sign up?

Our fortress needs a proper kitchen, some dedicated temples, an updated dining hall, a proper workshop section, maybe a well built near the hospital, oh we also need a hospital, and a forge, and we need to schedule the swim training for the names dwarves, and military training, and general guildhall training, and perhaps. . some windows.

Yes. Windows. Natural light raises property values. And you know how attracted fish are to expensive things like engagement rings and, uhm, real estate.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2021, 05:03:21 pm »

Yeah - thanks. Next time it's my turn, if I don't reply shortly after, just send me a DM - I'm a bit forgetful.
That's odd, I did send PM's, two of them. But they're not in my 'sent items'. If you didn't get them, I guess the browser must have eaten them.

Looking forward to it! May I sign up for the next available slot, giving preference to others who might sign up?
Can do! If you anyone wants a second turn I'll add you to the list after Imic.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2021, 11:42:35 pm »

Edit for extra clarity: I have a 5-day extended week-end coming (Friday to Tuesday) on account of Orthodox Easter, which means I'll have more time than usual.
Hey StrikaAmaru, how fares yon seafort?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2021, 01:30:03 am »

Hey StrikaAmaru, how fares yon seafort?
Slowly but surely. Gameplay reached mid-autumn, which is way below what I planned. Mostly I'm delayed because i keep second- and third-guessing my decisions. This is not my style of fort, to put it mildly.

Btw: I dorfed myself as the second-most skilled fisher-dwarf (Quasar has the most skilled one). And I set the popcap to 100; I know my PC can handle 150, but only moderately well, and it's best to leave some slack for other systems too.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:35:53 am by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2021, 02:17:22 am »

Planning - 206

Granite 2nd. Hoboy, that was a spectacular New Year’s party! Even by dwarven standards, that is. So spectacular, in fact, that I managed to be one day late to my new job; if anyone asks I’ll have to claim I was studying records or somesuch. Dwarves don’t pass out drunk, dammit! That’s for humans! We’re supposed to be tougher than that, especially when we aren’t.

Meanwhile, as the first act of my rule, I order all masons to make blocks. Surprisingly, this isn’t because I want to cover for my absence; it’s because all construction here is supposed to be above the sea, so we always need blocks.

As the second act of my rule, I command all tattered clothing to be discarded. The haul is surprisingly small, so I guess all those complaining dwarves have been making a mountain out of a molehill.

Still, this is bound to become a large problem soon, because everybody has at least some worn clothing that will soon progress to tattered and embarrass the wearer. The clothing industry is a priority, the ‘plentiful’ silk is mostly sitting uncollected in the cavern, and I doubt our anemic farms can handle the demand for thread.

As the third act of my rule, I ordered booze to be made; it really was a spectacular party, so now we’re left with only 20 units of booze. In a fort of 97. Don’t get me wrong, it was completely worth it, but unless I brew some more right now, it’s going to end badly.

These three are the first priorities for spring: make blocks, brew booze, spin thread. Anything else can wait until after.

Now that my fellows are somewhat busy, I can walk around the fort, and see what other projects I can begin. And I really have to walk around, despite living here for three years; I was mostly fishing, and walks have never been something I enjoyed.

The room situation is good for the average citizen, but terrible for administration and nobles. Every single dwarf in FishHeads has a room to live in; that in itself is amazing, since I have been in old established forts that fully expected its citizens to live in communal dormitories. Not here, though, as the entire western side of our settlement is dedicated to housing, and two levels have covered our nearly 100 dwarves.

On the flip side, any larger rooms are neither present, nor built, nor even planned. Our elected mayor has no chambers; we have no captain of the guard so rabble rousers and vandals remain unpunished (also: we have no jail either). We have no hospital. We have no guilds, except on paper and that doesn’t count. The only thing we really have is a tavern, a communal temple at the top of the fisher’s tower, and two modest offices for our manager and bookkeeper.

And speaking of our rooms, I still have to figure out what’s the matter with that large room in the middle of the habitation area; it only holds a scattering of furniture and bins, plus the loom and clothier’s workshops that I just ordered built.

I’m tempted to expand it all the way to the rooms, and section it off into crafting areas and guild headquarters. The fully expanded space would be 23 tiles wide, so it can be sectioned off into either three 7x7 rooms or six 3x3 workshops; and with two levels to work with, this would give me all the workshops I ever needed and 6 guild rooms.

On the flip side, I really like the empty space between the rooms and the central structure. If I ruin that, I’d just end up with a massive ugly monolith.

Hmmm… decisions, decisions.

Probably going to extend the room, though. All our stoneworking and metal crafting is presently on land; it was one of those temporary solutions that’s threatening to end up permanent.

Something else I need to fix as soon as possible is our link to land. Initially, we were supposed to access land only through a single passageway sealed by a bridge; this original plan was broken in the name of expediency. The mason’s workshops have been directly connected to the rooms, which has been extremely convenient for building said rooms (I can personally attest, I was called on construction duty) but still leaves a way into the fort that can be broken by the first troll that comes around.

Strange things have been happening in the swimathorium -- its floor is littered with blocks, furniture, and spun hair. Clearly, there have been some mason’s and farmer’s workshops built there at some point…

The poor farm, one of the earliest areas of FishHeads, is definitely showing its age. I’m comparing its present situation with the footprint of the constructions above; it’s really not fitting in. And those ramps don’t go anywhere anymore, they all have floors and walls on top of them.

The blue room is the base of the fishery tower; something that I won’t interfere with except to center the door. The brown room is the fishing zone; it will only be altered to join with the future fisher’s guild right next to it. Likewise, the farming plots will be neighbors with the farmer’s guild.

On the other side, there’s space for three neighboring rooms. One for egg-layers, one for grazers, and the third… we’ll figure it out later. Possibly a fat, lye and soap production facility; those have far less use compared to production, and tend to pile up.

While the building begins, I look over our guilds and temples. Multiple guilds have already been established in FishHeads, though no physical guild rooms have been assigned. Either they never asked for them, or they have and were refused… I’d ask around the watering hole if I cared enough to find out.

That guild we have only on paper is a craftsdwarf guildhall called the Gates of Creation; it’s listed with a grand value of 0, so it’s clear it was never truly assigned. Come to think of it, let me see what we have here:

- Farmer; 7 members “The Barricade of Fogs”
- Fishery Worker 8, no guild
- Fisherdwarf 6, no guild.
- Stonecrafter, 17, “The Hall of Boats”. No, I don’t pretend to understand.
- Craftsdwarf, 23, “Guild of Gloves” (stealing from the tailors, I presume)
- Ranger, 7, “The Waxy Tongs”
- Mason, 6, no guild.
- Stoneworker, 6, no guild.
- Wood cutter, 6, “The Sabre of Stone” (are you trying to enrage the miners?)
- Woodworker, 6, “The Foggy Mountain”
- Miners, 7, no guild.

The religious situation is dominated by multiple cults from multiple civilizations; personally, I did my best to stay out of the resulting mess.

- Mokez, 50 worshippers, god of death, justice, and laws.
- Arceth, 48 worshippers, mercy, forgiveness, speech, persuasion, and poetry.
- Zalis, god of fortresses, has 46 worshippers.
- Etur, 45 worshippers, god of mountains and caverns.
- Onol, 49 worshippers, god of metals.
- Osram the Mountainous, with 45 worshippers, is the god of minerals, jewels, and wealth.
- Ertal, with 32 worshippers, is the god of jewels, wealth, and trade.
- Bisek, 23 worshippers, god of mountains, caverns, earth, volcanoes, and lies. You were doing well until the end, bro.
- Puva, 18 worshippers, god of torture and misery. What a goblin fetishist.
- Abusp, 15 worshippers, animals, nature, plants, and rivers. And here’s a disguised elf.
- Osod, with 16 worshippers, is the god of death and nothing else.
- Daral the soapy fruit has 12 worshippers despite the name, and presides over rebirth, creation, crafts, and labor.
- Udar, 12 worshippers, is hogging the spheres of animals, caverns, metals, minerals, and mountains.
- Ono, 8 worshippers, god of sacrifice.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2021, 03:44:42 am »

this is fishheads right? seems lie the mountainhomes is using this as a dumping ground rather thana fishing ground
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2021, 08:56:38 am »

this is fishheads right? seems lie the mountainhomes is using this as a dumping ground rather thana fishing ground

I know, right? And while I'd love to correct the problem (aka: enlist some 25-30 new fisherdwarves), I'd first have to make some massive rooms to keep the things. The fishery tower is full to the... top...

New plan: I'm reverting autumn (not like there's a lot of it). The dwarven caravan will receive fish barrels, and nothing else. Later, they can also receive shell crafts and so on, but right now there's almost none of those. In exchange, they're getting orders of cloth, silk, leather, plants, booze, and whatever else a fortress needs.

We don't do farming around here! Only fishing!

(and masonry, I guess, and a bit of smithing, 'cause there's no way to buy masterworks from the caravan).

But really, this fort has definitely lost its way.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2021, 06:37:00 pm »

But really, this fort has definitely lost its way.

Hey! I tried my best to facilitate the fishier side of things, which is why I built that odd tower. Which I've heard is now full of fish? Surely after constructing such a monument to the profession, we can spare some dwarves the burden of beard-based fish retrieval?

Thank you for the religion and guild rundowns. I was also shocked at the large number of religions or cults present in the menu. If you end up building a more central temple, you might want to re-designate the artifact temple at the top of the blue fish tower to some specific deity. Do we have a fish or ocean deity kicking around?

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2021, 01:47:32 am »

[...] If you end up building a more central temple, you might want to re-designate the artifact temple at the top of the blue fish tower to some specific deity. Do we have a fish or ocean deity kicking around?

The closest is Abusp, god of rivers. Actually...

- Abusp, 15 worshippers, animals, nature, plants, and rivers.
- Daral the soapy fruit has 12 worshippers despite the name, and presides over rebirth, creation, crafts, and labor.
- Udar, 12 worshippers, is hogging the spheres of animals, caverns, metals, minerals, and mountains.

Two gods of animals, and one god of crafts; these are somewhat related to fishing. Speaking of crafts, I expected more shells from the sea... but we have barely a handful.

I'm also still wondering if the narrative of FishHeads is compatible with a well-kitted, highly professional military. Unless we play them out like dwarven Republic of Venice, it really doesn't.

Apropos of nothing: I intend to slaughter all the yaks. I'll only keep the alpacas, and any sheep I can buy, for wool production.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:47 pm »

Kill them. I only stayed the butcher's blade out of fear that my dwarves would be busy hauling Yak liver bits instead of, you know, building shit..

Also I didn't make note of this, but all the scaffolding was made from wood, and as it was desconstructed we ended up with the inside outer wall neatly lined with a large amount of logs. Forbidding this wood, and saving it in case of a siege, might be a worthy strat.

I vote we retcon the river god's religion into a great, honorable, fish-worshiping cult.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17