Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP! i can't move books dropped by visitors  (Read 3214 times)

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HELP! i can't move books dropped by visitors
« on: March 24, 2021, 02:20:44 pm »

can't mark for dumping. couldn't find a dfhack script to make it part of my fort's possessions so my dwarves will store it in the library. currently eating at my already low fps and interfering with some stockpiles
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! i can't move books dropped by visitors
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 03:13:09 pm »

I'd forbid it, then claim it, then forget about it. "A watched pot never boils" seems to be a basic operating principle of the game's programming.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 06:32:42 pm »

Assign it to a display pedestal in your library, then unassign or deconstruct the pedestal after the book has been stored.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2021, 06:48:31 pm »

Anytime I get mad at things not being moved I simply drop magma on it with dfhack in a fussy rage state.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 07:32:50 pm »

Anytime I get mad at things not being moved I simply drop magma on it with dfhack in a fussy rage state.
Your plan > Bumber's plan > my plan

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 04:47:34 am »

Apart from the 'f'orbidden flag set on items dropped on death by default, they also often have the trader flag set.

Here's a DFHack script to claim these books by removing the trader flag from them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, dropping magma on artifact books is a sub optimal idea, since the magma will cause them to catch fire, but their artifact status will cause them not to be consumed, so you've got a perpetual fire that produces smoke and risks setting fire to things around them (like vegetation growing up next to them).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 04:49:33 am by PatrikLundell »

xpi0t0s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2021, 07:36:05 am »

I just solved a similar problem, but had to remove the "foreign" flag. Removing "trader" didn't do anything (and troubleshoot-item showed its status hadn't changed either).
Also I found autodump wouldn't touch it.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2021, 07:56:48 am »

The "foreign" flag indicates whether the item isn't fortress made, but doesn't have much of an effect apart from that. Selling things with the foreign flag doesn't count as sold products or fortress production values, I think. Thinks marked a forbidden and/or trader won't be affected by being dump marked, i.e. they won't be touched (and "artifacts" can't be dump marked using the vanilla DF interface). Thus, xpi0t0s' report sounds odd based on my experience.

I believe you can "disguise" foreign "stolen" goods (such as the junk from scuttled caravans) by modify them via encrusting, and melting them down won't retain the origin of the metal. These activities require the dorfs to handle them, though, and thus can't be performed if they won't even touch the items.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2021, 06:10:45 pm »

Assign it to a display pedestal in your library, then unassign or deconstruct the pedestal after the book has been stored.

doesn't show up in tools or artifacts for my display cases or pedestals.

The "foreign" flag indicates whether the item isn't fortress made, but doesn't have much of an effect apart from that. Selling things with the foreign flag doesn't count as sold products or fortress production values, I think. Thinks marked a forbidden and/or trader won't be affected by being dump marked, i.e. they won't be touched (and "artifacts" can't be dump marked using the vanilla DF interface). Thus, xpi0t0s' report sounds odd based on my experience.

I believe you can "disguise" foreign "stolen" goods (such as the junk from scuttled caravans) by modify them via encrusting, and melting them down won't retain the origin of the metal. These activities require the dorfs to handle them, though, and thus can't be performed if they won't even touch the items.

how do you guys advanced trouble shoot items using dfhack? how do you run custom scripts in dfhack? also what is the one used to remove foreign flags?

is anyone else getting a bug with scrolls like this or is it just me? (also for some reason it doesn't seem to affect codices, only scrolls)
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 04:59:38 am »

gui/gm-editor is the standard tool for investigating DFHack structures, and it also allows you to manipulate the structures (including changing flags and other values). Once I've figured out what I want to do, I write a script to do it (assuming it's something I want to do again, of course).

You run scripts from the DFHack console by typing their names (without the suffix) in the console window. Many scripts need to know what they should operate on (e.g. a specific codex, or a dwarf), and thus are written to act on the item that DF currently selects (with one of the selection keys), while others operate on the current state (such as the one I posted above, which just looks through everything on the embark).

I assume the reason this happens only for scrolls is that whatever logic the game uses to give visitors "books" only gives them scrolls (or at least give them codices so rarely I haven't bothered to look for codices in my script).

As indicated, I do get the issue, but have never seen the foreign flag being a factor.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 02:40:30 am »

managed to get the script to work. but i don't know how to run a function, so i pasted the insides of the script itself into a fresh lua script and it seemed to work.

i can't find any documentation for many lua scripts for dwarf fortress. is there a way to get reference to a list of items by category instead of using df.global.world.items.all ?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 04:50:21 am »

i can't find any documentation for many lua scripts for dwarf fortress. is there a way to get reference to a list of items by category instead of using df.global.world.items.all ?

Looks like "df.global.world.items.other" does that. Typing ":lua ~df.global.world.items.other" in dfhack with a fort running gives a bunch of vectors of items of each type.

"df.global.world.items.other.BOOK" is for codices. "df.global.world.items.other.TOOL" gives all tools, so you'd still have to check the subtype of each tool in that list anyway.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 05:03:13 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pganon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2022, 04:44:38 am »

I had the same problem and solved it without any hacks:

Like all items dropped by invaders, the artefacts are forbidden. The shortcut k-f does not work on them, you need to view with k, then hit enter for full-screen view, then f to unforbid. Half my library is full of goblin prose...

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2023, 08:16:35 pm »

Well I know this topic is old.
But I just found recently if you build a library over the book, they will still be able to read the book.
Additionally, if you already have a library, you can paint a meeting area zone over the book and assign the zone to the library, a dwarf may carry the book to a table inside the main library to read it and leave it there. After that you can remove the one-tile zone.

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2023, 09:35:42 am »

This also works when dorfs don't recognize items lying around on a reclaimed fortress.