Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress v50.09 How to see Birthday  (Read 876 times)

BudTomazi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress v50.09 How to see Birthday
« on: July 08, 2023, 02:41:38 am »

Hey, I've recently been playing dwarf fortress with the steam graphical release for the first time, and I can't seem to find a way to see a dwarf's exact birthday.  I feel like this was possible before the steam version in one of the various unit screens, is there somewhere I can see this in the steam version? Thanks!

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress v50.09 How to see Birthday
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 03:06:29 am »

I don't think so.
You can see when he joined your fort in 47.05, but not birthday.

BudTomazi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 04:09:35 am »

Hmm, I went back and checked my version of 47.05 and it seems like you could see it under the affiliations part of unit view, u-v-enter in that version. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If there isn't a way to do this in the steam version I think there should be as it can be kind of nice to know when a dwarf will age up for both practical and roleplay reasons. 

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 04:18:42 am »

Well that's a pity if you can't see it anymore. Birthdays are something I regularly check in DF.

BlueTrillium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 11:08:29 am »

I don't have a *great* deal of experience (being new to DF since Steam), but based on my own gameplay, nothing seems to have a specific birthday. On the first day of Spring each year, you get a wave of deaths from old age -- be it dwarves or livestock, or whatever. So it's kinda like Spring 1 is everybody's birthday.

Although I will say I don't think I have played any single fort long enough for any creature (even livestock) actually *born in my fort* to die of old age. Maybe those would not follow the Spring 1st old-age deaths but instead use their actual in-fortress birth date, I don't know.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 03:01:14 pm »

On the first day of Spring each year, you get a wave of deaths from old age -- be it dwarves or livestock, or whatever. So it's kinda like Spring 1 is everybody's birthday.

Death due to old age happens always on the 1st of Granite regardless of birthday.

You don't really notice birthdays during gameplay except when a child grows into an adult (and that happens on the actual birthday of the creature). I assume this hasn't changed in 0.50.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 05:07:16 pm »

Checking with DFHack the creature's birthday is still stored, it seems that toady just forgot to put it on the interface somewhere. I wonder if adding a little blurb with the date of birth would be possible only with lua scripts...
In a time before time, I had a name.

Salsa Gal

• Bay Watcher
  • Diggy diggy hole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 08:06:52 am »

A lot of small dwarf details like this are missing in Steam, like the one that I really miss where you could look at relations and select their deities, then from there read a description of the god, it'd be helpful because I'd have a description of the god I could use for inspiration when making temples.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 08:22:07 pm »

A lot of small dwarf details like this are missing in Steam, like the one that I really miss where you could look at relations and select their deities, then from there read a description of the god, it'd be helpful because I'd have a description of the god I could use for inspiration when making temples.

this is such a peeve of mine with the new version. temple building is one of those pleasurable excesses that make up the majority of my play nowadays, and losing that direct reference from the unit is crippling. you can navigate to the temple creation menu in order to see a god's spheres, but this lacks details (sometimes the gods take special forms like animals) and is just terribly awkward.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2023, 02:59:44 am »

I believe if you create an engraving or figurine or statue of the god, you will see the description you used to get when selecting the entity, but it's a huge PITA to do it.