Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bay12 Discord  (Read 3079 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Discord
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 08:00:52 am »

I'm on the Forum Games server, it's the biggest one that isn't Kitfox. It's pinned in the FG&RP board I think. It's also a general Bay12 thing, not just FGs. I use it as that ever since I torched my shitty forum games.

I like it but it's no replacement for Bay12. Just like the forum isn't strictly better than it.

Never saw any evidence for Discord selling data, surely something would have leaked by now. Strik3r is being paranoid.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:06:57 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2021, 08:10:46 am »

This is the only forum I use nowadays, I have all but abandoned them for Discord (also Telegram). But this one is special to me. I like the community here, enough to justify an outdated format. However I've been taking a liking to MafiaScum (a Mafia forum). So guess that makes two forums I use.

Dunno what Strik3r is on about.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 08:13:35 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2021, 08:37:44 am »

It's pretty common on bay12 metacommunities. They tend to attract people who are no longer on the forums, feel like the forums are awful, and/or have been banned from the forums.
I'm not specifically talking about the many drama filled Bay12 IRCs over the years. I just mean in general. Regardless of the website, this seems to be common fate of side communities. In fact, I can't remember a single one that didn't turn out like this.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2021, 08:49:15 am »

It's pretty common on bay12 metacommunities. They tend to attract people who are no longer on the forums, feel like the forums are awful, and/or have been banned from the forums.
I'm not specifically talking about the many drama filled Bay12 IRCs over the years. I just mean in general. Regardless of the website, this seems to be common fate of side communities. In fact, I can't remember a single one that didn't turn out like this.
Am also on the FGRP server, it's not bad at all. Used to have SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY SORRY problems but Iridium stopped doing that. Definitely a different feel.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2021, 08:51:57 am »

I don't see the harm in there being Discords, as Discord is a good casual medium for chatting, but for more considered stuff you want a forum where you can take your time with a post, do some basic formatting etc. You can see this in how the Fire Emblem on Forums discord has never to my knowledge attempted to run Fire Emblems on Discord...

However I've been taking a liking to MafiaScum (a Mafia forum).
Maybe it's changed, but the culture on mafiascum when I last there was just unnecessarily aggro. I've always preferred playing mafia here (you should join us!).

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 09:21:45 am »

The mafia culture here isn’t any better :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2021, 09:44:15 am »

:( but... the forums are so nice...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2021, 10:36:30 am »

The mafia culture here isn’t any better :p
I disagree. We also have had a few mean-spirited players (a few come easily to mind) but you can have a reasonable conversation in the banter or theory threads here, whereas when I tried the same on mafiascum, I'd just get a bunch of people calling me an idiot for not doing things in their prescribed way.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2021, 10:58:50 am »

Also play on MS, in my experience it's decent. I regularly post in the role idea threads, basically no toxicity. Maybe it was a few years ago.

My theory is that the general fading of forums made all the annoying kids leave to greener pastures while the mature people stayed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 11:22:36 am by KittyTac »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2021, 11:19:12 am »

That's good to hear and you may be right. Also people get older! And at least some of the people that stick around are gonna become more mature (as happened with GreatOrder, mentioned before).

The other thing I like about mafia on Bay12 is it seems like it shares a lot of the creativity of the games sub forum-- there's a lot of wild experiments, mixed mechanics, creative role design etc. You get that to an extent elsewhere, but I feel like in being small we avoid a lot of the tried-and-tested set ups and try novel stuff more often.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2021, 11:22:55 am »

I used to be a cringelord here but I matured.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2021, 11:23:17 am »

The other thing I like about mafia on Bay12 is it seems like it shares a lot of the creativity of the games sub forum-- there's a lot of wild experiments, mixed mechanics, creative role design etc. You get that to an extent elsewhere, but I feel like in being small we avoid a lot of the tried-and-tested set ups and try novel stuff more often.

Totally agree, the last several games around here have been amazing lore-wise.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2021, 04:42:47 am »

I joined this forum for because of the forum games and now it's my only non-family socializing thing.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2021, 05:32:31 am »

I've pretty much migrated to discord entirely. I do check here every now and again, but time wore the community into a shape I don't recognize as much now. The closest friends I have on here I talk to on there.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2021, 03:19:47 pm »

build the userbase to sell off to someone else
takes screenshots of your screen and sells your info to the Chinese
Do you two have any sources for those accusations?

As the suspicion goes, though, if a product is free, you are the product, yes?
Correct. Discord is not a free product, it has a profit model based on a premium membership.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4