Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Bay12 Discord  (Read 3088 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Discord
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2021, 03:23:22 pm »

Correct. Discord is not a free product, it has a profit model based on a premium membership.

From what I've heard, Nitro isn't profitable, but that may have changed since the last time I checked. I mean Discord has grown massively since it first started. So many youtube channels have an official one. If they locked the ability to host large servers to only nitro users, then they probably would be profitable.

EDIT: On second thought, I shouldn't be playing armchair businessman. I do think there should be some way to leverage discord's popularity though. I think there's promise in copying WinRar's strategy. The software is free for the average consumer leading to mass adoption, but the version used by server hosts or at least hosts of large servers should require payment, which they will be motivated to provide since Discord is what their userbase is comfortable with.

Alternatively, there simply may not be any real demand for a Discord like service. People might only be using it because it's free and if they have to give a single cent for it, then it would be abandoned.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 05:54:57 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2021, 05:46:30 pm »

build the userbase to sell off to someone else
takes screenshots of your screen and sells your info to the Chinese
Do you two have any sources for those accusations?

Nothing but hearsay and a little speculation from some numbers pulled here, since it's taken some 480 million dollarinos in venture capital and only just pulled in a nitro revenue of 130 million, to say nothing of server hosting fees, R&D, salaries, the failed merch store/game sales platform, or data storage. Worth noting the company doubled in value last year, prolly thanks to covid.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2021, 05:56:17 pm »

Could be another WeWork.

At least the Discord guys know how to make good software, even if they don't know how to monetize it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2021, 05:56:45 pm »

For what it's worth, I moderate the Kitfox discord and we try to keep the place friendly.

https://discord.gg/kitfoxgames

It's the closest thing there is to an official bay12 discord at the moment, though it's by no means the largest.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2021, 04:20:44 am »

If people are worried about it, judging by their privacy policy they are not selling any data.

"Well, yes, but how do we know they are sticking with it"

Well, we don't, but unlike 10 years ago California and the EU have some really strict laws on gathering information from their residents and citizens. And if they do try to collect said data off of people that aren't using their service through um "embedding photos hosted on their CDN" on these forums that opens them up to class action lawsuits that they are trying to avoid since it affects users that haven't signed their agreements.

So I would not be worried about the forums being hit with spyware, anyone can just uh, scrape all the info from them if they really wanted, it's all public. And I am banking on them not selling data in that it would be phenomenally bad for them the way they are going about it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]