Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game  (Read 7166 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2021, 11:06:43 am »

We all understand that if the My Liege proposal rolls poorly, the Vault's government is going to be transformed into an actual feudal monarchy, right? We're all okay with that, right? I mean, I am, that sounds neat.
More than that, they may eventually forget that what happened wasn't actually fantasy stuff! :))
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2021, 01:11:24 pm »

They're going to lose their shit when they meet the orcs.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2021, 01:15:25 am »

Are we at least gonna get swords and plate armour, also what happens when we come up against ranged enemies?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2021, 07:51:38 am »

Swords, presumably yes. Plate armor, our equipment may be modified to look like it. Ranged enemies... we’re not forgetting how to use guns.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2021, 07:55:43 am »

That's what magic missile is for.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2021, 08:34:47 pm »

Rat Eugenics

Eating human-adjacent ("But not technically human!" - Dave of the Nuka Families) meat, it turned out, did not actually sit well in the minds of many 98ers, but there were few other options. The Vault denizens did not bring any pets inside, and the place was cleaned and sealed up until their arrival. Having a palatable meat-like substance to eat could only come from humans, and Synthmeat was as close to ethical human meat meant for consumption could be.

But life, uh, finds a way. That way was probably through the Great Library, but nobody knows for sure, since that was also sealed. Either way, a family of rats was discovered scrounging around the refuse furnaces. While extermination was the knee-jerk reaction, some visionary Nuka researchers captured and held them. With rat genetics on-hand, they were able to produce "Rat" "Meat" in the same manner as the human-based Synthmeat. While it was slightly gamier, Ratsynthmeat rapidly grew in popularity and the human-based product slowly ceased production.

Since the rats themselves weren't harvested for their meat, the scientists were able to "taste-test" rats and breed rats that produced desirable meat traits. Rats with traits that weren't cut out for the various ratsynthmeat products were initially going to be killed, but a couple kids got a parent to give them a pet rat and soon almost everybody wanted one. It didn't take long for an adjacent breeding program to appear alongside the ratmeat stock, and a small section of the vault was isolated and repurposed in order to house pet-bred rats until their adoption days.

The discovery of these rats appears to be of benefit all around for the 98ers. They were able to replace their ethically-questionable meat products with a rat-based variant, and they got some adorable rodents to keep around as pets.

Realm 98

The Great Library of Philadelphia covered endless subjects, but those covering the middle ages and earlier quickly became the most frequently accessed programs for recreational use (except for a selection covering the Black Death). They offered a level of freedom and a view of a world much different, and much more palatable, than either the world left behind or life confined in the Vault. Classical and Medieval escapes, both historical and fantastic, became the norm for a while, but as production and life in the Vault itself began to stagnate somewhat, restrictions for time within simulations for recreational use were put into place. While initially met with frustration, the 98ers couldn't deny the evidence of their slow slip from reality when presented by the Council.

Alternatives were presented by citizens, and one in particular snowballed in popularity, even if it meant a drastic change in Vault life. The structure of the Vault's leadership was in no way unique. Throughout history there were a number of civilizations led by a group of people headed by a pair of leaders, and by emulating them, perhaps the citizens of the Vault would find themselves needing an escape less and less. Sparta, Rome, and even parts of France in the Middle Ages were led by some form of diarchy and/or council. One of those in particular stuck our for the highly militarized citizens of Vault 98, but Sparta had many shortcomings. Rome's various forms represented the leadership of the Vault well, but they too eventually collapsed. France, well, who even knows anymore? But every time people walked to their simulations, they were reminded of a once-great nation that could rise from the ashes: America.

The leadership of Vault 98 was reformed into three separate but equal branches. The Chiefs had equal power over the military aspects of the Vault, and could overrule one another should they need to. They also held sway over the other two branches, but only because of the cult of personality built up around them. Should one or both of the Chiefs ever step down or die that could change. The Nuka Families and Independent Families were each allowed to form their own separate councils, with the Nuka Guild overseeing research, development, and education in the Vault, while the Independent Senate was responsible for any matters that didn't fall under the Nuka Guild's or Chiefs' umbrellas.

History began to impose itself on the lives of the 98ers as they grew more and more enamored with the past. The NukaGuard were rebranded as the NukaKnights, with customized power armor that reflected their preferred historical influences, and there were regular athletic tournaments to test the strength, dexterity, and capabilities of 98ers. The aesthetics of various ages bled through elsewhere as well, and it didn't take long for the Vault 98 Jumpsuits everyone had to be personalized in every which way.

Not only was it fun, but the adjustment to management of leadership simmered down some interfamily rivalries that were bound to come to a head at some point. While ultimately the Guild and Senate answered to the will of the Diarchy, having the ability to express their wills without the Chief's approval consistently led to an acceptable level of contentment within leadership. The people were happy too, taking up roles that fit into various historical and fantastical periods. In some cases the characters overtook the 98er's personality, but for the most part it was understood that this was an exercise done in good fun.

----

Life in Vault 98 has been good for the people within. They've experienced relatively few hardships, and the bumps in the road along the way so far have been easily managed. There is one looming issue, however. The Vault Doors have been unsealed! You are now going to propose how this is handled! If you wish to open the Vault, propose the protocols put into place alongside the first person/team who are sent out into the city. You don't need to follow through with the whims of the Vault-Tec researchers who were left behind, however. If you wish to remain in the Vault, create a proposal including the defining advancement Vault 98 made after ten more years in the Vault.

From here on out, turns will offer the opportunity to either explore outside the vault or remain sealed within. Time will continue to pass at a fast rate while locked in the Vault, allowing you to refine Vault 98 and evolve your little ant farm. The world outside will advance without you however, and time will pass at a much slower rate with prompts more specific to issues going on around you.

Spoiler: Vault 98 Experiment (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2021, 01:51:50 am »

How long has it been since the war happened and was the area around the vault entrance hit with a bomb? 
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2021, 12:31:44 pm »

40 years and you have no idea. The vault entrance was deep under a a building

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2021, 12:41:23 pm »

I'm inclined to say that before we go outside, we should develop something to help deradiate stuff in case it was heavily irradiated. For that matter, the longer we stay in here, the less radiation there's likely to be.

While waiting longer has the potential for other factions to establish themselves before we can an opportunity to, I think that's more good than bad; diplomacy is easier with established organizations, and if people want to attack us, we all know how much military equipment we have. And while there's the potential for things to go wrong in the vault, well, A. we have a lot of smart people who can definitely put their efforts to making sure things operate properly and B. things can go wrong outside the vault, too.

Anyone want us to make Sink-Cola about now?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »

"Factions?"

"Did you fail the 'Nuclear Holocaust' module?  Are you worried about the ants allying against us?  I mean, what's the point of sticking you young'ens in them VR pods if you ain't gonna learn shit?  To refresh your memory, every pre-war Vault-Tec study has shown that it is impossible for human life to survive nuclear annihilation without Vault-Tec protection.  Why do you think us 'Elders' paid so much to get inside 'Realm' 98?"

"Seriously, I knew that VR shit rots your brain, but I didn't know it was *that* bad.  (All this fantasy prancing about should have been our first hint.)  I say we go back to the school of hard-knocks.  You know, by your age I already had earned my third Purple Heart at a little place called the Anchorage Line... ever heard of it?"

"As Vault Strategist, I propose the following course of action..."

Quote from: D-Day Survey
Per Vault-Tec programming, the automated door unsealing protocol is imminent.  Merely 40 years ago, the ChiComs turned the once great "City of Brotherly Love" into an irradiated crater.  Home to the world largest shipyard at Hog Island, we can expected the city took nothing less than the full fury of the Red Arsenal.  It is our solemn duty to reclaim what remains of this once great metropolis.  To do any less would be letting the ChiComs win.

But we must proceed with the utmost caution.  We must survey our surroundings without endangering the Vault itself.  Luckily, we have power armor.  4 of 6 NukaKnights will perform an initial survey of our surroundings.  Two scientific personnel will be familiarized in Power Armor operation, and lead the six man expedition.  (The NBC features of their power armor should protect them from the deadly environment.)  Senior Researcher Alvin Kiplinger and his lab assistant, Carlotta Friuli, have volunteered for this assignment.  Armaments will likely be unnecessary, but the option to carry a firearm will be left to individual discretion.

Under scientific guidance, soil and water samples should be collected for analysis.  The Geiger counter feature of our Pip Boys should be valuable here.  Appropriate handling and decontamination procedures should safeguard the vault interior.  Positive pressure and airlock procedures must be rigorously enforced as well.

In the unlikely event any plant or animal life is encountered, all efforts must be made to collect specimens for research.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:22:30 pm by ConscriptFive »

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2021, 10:27:21 pm »

Anyone want us to make Sink-Cola about now?
I'm against going topside, but I think making Sink-Cola would be pretty cool for us to do while we stay underground. Could be useful as a backup plan if someone invades our Vault first.

For reference's sake, here's the Post where Glass introduced Sink-Cola. I'll also repost the description of Sink-Cola (as written by Glass):

Quote from: Sink-Cola
Topside is going to be radiated to hell as a result of the nuclear war, which means two things: one, things are going to be irradiated, and two, people are going to get irradiated. While it may be simplest to just try to treat the result - the second part, radiation poisoning - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and so methods of capturing radiation in a way that doesn't leave the result similarly radioactive - making "rad sinks" - were researched. The result: a derivative of Nuka-Cola that absorbs radiation, using it to break down the sugars and other high-energy molecules in it. This essentially results in radiation being transformed into heat; as a side effect, while the Sink-Cola remains active, it will give off a slight green glow, only dimming once all rad-absorbing particles have broken down or there is no radiation left in the area (so, when the particles have broken down).

There are three main methods of use: sprinkling Sink-Cola over a relatively large but lightly irradiated area, putting a bottle of Sink-Cola in smaller but more heavily irradiated areas, or drinking Sink-Cola to draw the radiation out of somebody. In the last case, the heat-releasing byproduct of Sink-Cola has the capacity to leave one with the symptoms of a fever for a few days, but it is much more thorough about removing radiation than any other anti-rad drugs available, even if it's slower. It also tastes vaguely of sour green apples.

Quote from: VoteBox
D-Day Survey: (0)
Sink-Cola: (1) Skynet

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2021, 10:40:58 pm »

Sink-Cola: (2) Skynet, Glass

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2021, 10:51:40 pm »

Sink-Cola: (3) Skynet, Glass, TCK

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2021, 12:28:40 am »

Everybody loves pregame now?  Why not just turtle indefinitely then?
Something Actually Happens: (1) ConscriptFive
Ten Years of Boredom: (3) Skynet, Glass, TCK

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2021, 12:36:20 am »

D-Day Survey: (2) ConscriptFive, King Zultan
Sink-Cola: (3) Skynet, Glass, TCK
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10