Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game  (Read 7167 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Rise from the Ashes: A Fallout-based PvE Council Game
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2021, 07:36:54 am »

Everybody loves pregame now?  Why not just turtle indefinitely then?
I just think we should have something to help with the radiation that we know will be out there before we go outside.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2021, 04:25:55 pm »

Uh oh the votes are awful close!

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2021, 06:42:28 pm »

Quote from: VoteBox
D-Day Survey: (3) ConscriptFive, King Zultan, C2M
Sink-Cola: (3) Skynet, Glass, TCK

Sorry to tie things up, but I’m leaning more towards D-Day. It would feel a little... wrong to just dismiss the fallout in Fallout with a special Nuka-Cola. It might be something good to work towards as we expand in the wasteland.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2021, 07:48:00 pm »

D-Day Survey: (4) ConscriptFive, King Zultan, C2M, Doomblade

Okay so I actually like the survey idea.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2021, 12:15:07 am »

D-Day Survey: (5) ConscriptFive, King Zultan, C2M, Doomblade, m1895

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2021, 12:31:04 am »

Would you at least explain why you prefer the survey to the sink-cola?
We could still do the survey next turn if we do sink-cola now, and we wouldn't need to worry as much about getting completely irradiated.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2021, 01:49:26 am »

We don't know the area irradiated yet so I don't see the need for it yet, also we're sending out guys in power armour so it's not like we're sending people out there with noting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2021, 08:17:27 am »

Exactly, it's totally "cart before the horse." Plus we literally have power armor.  Presumably we also have Radaway and general radiation suits.  Turtling for TEN YEARS to reinvent Radaway-but-Nuka is pretty excessive.  Better (and far more interesting) to at least take a look outside first.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2021, 09:21:17 am »

We don't know the area irradiated yet so I don't see the need for it yet, also we're sending out guys in power armour so it's not like we're sending people out there with noting.
It's... it's Fallout. It is definitely irradiated, the only question is how badly.

That said, I don't think MoP will go "You open the vault door. The immediate surroundings are so highly irradiated that everyone in the vault dies of radiation poisoning immediately", or even anything close to that. I'd guess that the absolute worst case is that a few of the folks sent out in the power armour get a lethal dose. In which case we can presumably still just bolt the door and wait for a while, and at least we'll know what's up.

D-Day Survey: (6) ConscriptFive, King Zultan, C2M, Doomblade, m1895, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2021, 03:15:38 pm »

GM Note: Sorry about the delay, got a kid coming in about a week, and doing the final prepwork to make sure she doesn't die immediately has left me exhausted and more creatively deceased than the last year already had me. Anyways, here's what you're actually here for.

Nukamancer Alvin Kiplinger's Expedition Audio Log, Day 1

Our day began with the Expedition Team, made up of myself and my assistant as well as the four permanent NukaKnights, moving our supplies to the large chamber outside Realm 98. The plan is to use the chamber as our camp and only return to the Vault itself after a week of exploration. Our first day was largely spent piling bones from those seeking but failing to attain safety within the Realm into a corner. Radiation was detected, but at levels low enough to reduce life expectancy by a few years but not be outright fatal. The stairwell up to the Independence Seaport Museum were collapsed, requiring careful use of Nukacharges and steady application of manpower to bypass. This took a majority of the day, so Friuli and I busied ourselves with taking samples from our immediate surroundings, including the skeletal remains. Based on what little we can work on outside the Realm, I am currently unable to form a hypothesis on the current state of the surface.

Nukamancer Alvin Kiplinger's Expedition Audio Log, Day 2

Friuli and I were with the NukaKnights when they took their first steps into the Museum. Our lamps provided the majority of light in the building, supplemented by a number of holes in the ceiling where the floors above had collapsed. The sky, at least, seemed unchanged through the gaps we could peer through. Initial findings were as expected - everything is coated in a thick layer of dust, the building itself is rotting away with rust and mold.

What wasn't expected was the ambush. No less than a dozen people, emaciated, skin rotted to muscle and bone, came down on us as we moved through the museum. Their only form of communication was a guttural screech, followed immediately by them throwing their bodies against us. Some of the corpses we saw also stood and attacked, having apparently been playing dead until they saw their opportunity to strike. They didn't seem to act intelligently, instead working off of their basest animal instincts. Our Power Armor held when struck by their hands, feet, and teeth, but were left with gouges and marking that gave away what true strength these feral humans had. Our party's laser and plasma weaponry was extremely effective though, and melee engagements were generally avoided outside of a feral dropping from a ceiling or reaching through a hole in a wall. We cleared a significant portion of the museum, but decided to pull back to our camp as the day grew late, a pair of feral corpses in tow. The NukaKnights are now on a rotating guard duty.

It was like something out of the old horror motion pictures before the bombs fell, and has left Friuli and myself shaken. Could the entirety of life on the surface be driven mad by whatever chaos occurred as and after the bombs fell? What of the other Realms? Did the Vault-Tec experiments compromise the safety of the human race? We hope to find out in the coming days.

Nukamancer Alvin Kiplinger's Expedition Audio Log, Day 3

Yesterday Friuli and I busied ourselves with a field autopsy of one of our assailants while the NukaGuards ensured none came down the stairs at us. The corpse showed signs of intense radiation poisoning well beyond what a human body was expected to survive. Examination of the brain showed extreme levels of atrophy and rot, which could explain the animalistic behavior. Samples we've taken from the spine, however, seem remarkably healthy, at least with the devices we have at the camp. Further examination will definitely be required.

Squik, my rat, went missing today. I fear the worst.

Nukamancer Alvin Kiplinger's Expedition Audio Log, Day 6

The last few days have been entirely unproductive. A storm settled in during the morning of our fourth day out here and decided to lift only recently, judging by the lack of noise coming through the museum. Hurricane-force winds and torrential rains brought startlingly loud claps of thunder following eerie green flashes in the clouds, as well as levels of radiation that our Power Armor's filters couldn't even combat. Luckily, it seems the basement Realm 98 resides in is spared from this sort of weather phenomenon.

----

On the seventh day the Expedition Team from Realm 98 finally walked the surface once more. Immediately they noticed how absolutely hellish New Jersey looked from across the river. It looked as though a sickly green translucent film had been placed over the Garden State, and the Delaware River wasn't looking much better. The team proceeded to get water samples and were wondering how to go about checking for aquatic life when gunfire erupted down at the harbor adjacent to the museum. One ship, the USS Olympia, most famous for transporting the remains of the Unknown Soldier from France to DC, was being fired upon by a large group of chaotically disorganized people wearing padded armor. Even from a distance the Expedition Team could see the absurd amount of green and white paint on their clothing and skin.

The Expedition Team observed the crew, inhabitants, or whatever they were of the Olympia return fire with a lot more volume and concentration to great effect. Limited cover in the form of old conex boxes protected some of these green men as they made their approach, but the withering fire from the Olympia managed to hold them at bay. After a few minutes of a stalemate the Expedition Team heard the rumbling of engines over the suppressive fire from the ship. Dozens of dirtbikes and ATVs, modified with armor and spikes like something out of an Australian Post-Apocalypse rolled up and anyone still moving hopped onto a vehicle and sped off.

The Expedition Team was planning to withdraw back to the Camp and submit their findings to the Realm, but a call echoed along the harbor with an unpleasantly deep rasp.

"You! Tin men! You going to sit and watch, are you going to introduce yourselves, or do we have to put you down too?"

The Expedition Team approached with their weapons stowed. They were worried about the appearance of the Olympia's crew, as they resembled the ferals that'd inhabited the museum, but since these guys were willing to communicate, the team opted to respond diplomatically. The captain of the crew had a mild greenish glow emanating from within himself, although the one eye practically falling out of it's socket drew more attention than anything else.

Once the ghouls found out the new arrivals were quite literally new arrivals to everything around them, they opened up. The Team learned that the Olympia was, surprisingly, a functional vessel being used as housing for "ghouls", the extremely irradiated and corpse-looking folks with a little more brainpower than the feral ones that had infested the museum. These Ghouls, led by Popped-Eye the Sailor, were Coast Guard that had been transformed after the events of October 23, 2077. They were displaced from a nearby Coast Guard base after non-ghoul'd Coasties sought to reclaim the base and any surviving vessels before anyone with ill intent could get their hands on any of it. The ghouls left willingly, as they understood their chances of survival outside of the base would be higher than anyone else who's space they'd be taking. Popped-Eye and his crew had actually investigated rumors of a Vault beneath the Independence Seaport Museum, but their efforts had been hampered by the obstacles now cleared by the Expedition Team.

Popped-Eye and the Coasties at the base were responsible for keeping the Philadelphia-side of "The Del" clear of threats that the Expedition team wouldn't have ever dreamed of existing. Beasts from the waters weren't the only threat, however. As the Expedition Team had seen, a large gang was also causing trouble in the area. Known as the "Bird Gang", this massive group made up of the various gangs and bandit groups that formed following 10.23.2077 was in control of most of the Center City area. An ambitious gang in South Philly had given others the option to Join or Die, and most did indeed Join or Die. There were a large number of hold-outs who kept the Bird Gang from claiming the entire city, but they didn't have the manpower or tools necessary to push them back or flush them out for good. Indeed, from the sounds of it, Realm 98 could very well be the most well-armed group in the city.

----

The Expedition Team returned to the Realm with plenty of information and samples of the surface, including corpses of feral ghouls and a couple human bodies from the Bird Gang. The Guild was able to uncover the reason for the existence of ghouls - modification to their dna as a result of gamma radiation - but were not able to identify what pushed some to madness and others remained stable. Of course, the corpse of a nonferal ghoul would help there...

The human corpses, while irradiated, were not lethally so. Sure, there was the presence of cancerous cells in the bodies, but considering they were middle-aged and the clusters were benign, it seemed as though radiation wasn't going to be the biggest, most persistent problem on the surface. No, it appeared that, as always, man would be the most prevalent obstacle.

----

You have made diplomatic contact with a nearby faction, and they've told you what they will of their story so far. You've also witnessed from afar the actions of a second faction within the city limits. You will be making two proposals: the first will be to define how you approach the relationship with Popped-Eye the Sailor and the Coast Ghouls. Will you engage in further diplomacy? Trade? War? The second proposal will be defining your approach to the Bird Gang. You don't know much about this faction, but you can try to learn more. Or will you decide that open hostility is the best path forward? Will you attempt to make contact with the Bird Gang and see what comes of it? Who knows? Not me! If you have specific actions in mind, make sure to include them, because otherwise how else will I know what you want to do.

Spoiler: Vault 98 Experiment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Factions and Diplomacy (click to show/hide)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2021, 03:32:30 pm »

Ok, this is better than expected.

Suggested relations with the Coast Ghouls: Diplomacy and trade for now. Potential add-on: mention that we have the tools needed to investigate why some ghouls go feral and others don't, but would need at the very least a DNA sample from some of them to actually do so.
Suggested relations with the Bird Gang: Cautious, but not outright hostile. If they attack us, of course, this shifts to open hostilities, but if they're willing to negotiate (which doesn't seem likely, but we can try), relations may be able to improve.

I also think that we should limit our use of advanced technologies aboveground. Use enough to maintain martial superiority, but for now, don't use so much that people might start really focusing on us and our stuff.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2021, 08:51:30 pm »

We have emerged from the Vault to meet an abominable green menace.  These subhumans are violent and fanatically tribal.

Fucking Eagles fans, amirite?

For those from overseas, Eagles fans are really something else....

Silver Linings Playbook clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4H51OBsYm8
SNL clip: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/tina-fey-mvp-snl-super-bowl-sketch-about-philly-vs-new-england

That being said, the Coast Ghouls are pretty neat allies.  I mean, they have a vintage warship up and running.  Not sure it's seaworthy enough to hit the ocean, though there's plenty else on nearby navigable waters that could be worth poking around (Wilmington, Trenton, Dover AFB, Atlantic City...)  Once we get "Fly Eagles Fly" for the last time, that could be a longterm objective.  Immediately though, we should figure out how far they've traveled and get our maps updated.  Sounds like there's still some pre-war military out there too.  Definitely should get that active Coast Guard installation marked.  If they end up Enclave aligned, we definitely will want them to think our Vault is still closed.

I'll come up with something more comprehensive later, but wanted to get my initial thoughts down.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2021, 01:58:30 pm »

"Chief Medical Officer here.  Wow, well that was unexpected wasn't it?  Looks like the City of Brotherly Love got lucky, and/or the Chinese made their nukes out of chinesium too?  I'm calling dibs on first guy to play the Wanamaker Organ once we get downtown to restore it."

"But we aren't entirely off the hook.  I've read Kiplinger's Reports and the biological mutations don't make any sense.  Radiation shouldn't do that.  Perhaps Philadelphia wasn't so lucky after all, and we got hit by some kind of bioweapon instead?  It's imperative we get medical samples from these so-called 'ghouls' to determine if there's still a persistent biohazard threat out there.  Surely our new neighbors wouldn't mind some medical checkups that include blood draws?"

"Also, I spoke with our 'Vault Strategist' and he's not being a lot of help right now.  He expected the worst and can't handle being wrong about it.  Right now he's just spouting a lot of Sun Tzu quotes.  He's still claiming this all could be some kind of elaborate ruse.  'All warfare is based on deception.'  Not exactly my department, but some caution does seem do out there.  This 'Bird Gang' sure seems to have the numbers to overpower us if they really wanted to.  Best to know exactly where they are at all times, so we can stay out of each others way.'

"Side-stepping the old warhorse, here's a proposal..."

Quote from: CMO's Plan
Our shipbound 'ghoul' contacts are our strongest lead right now.  Kiplinger's survey suggests they're amenable to further friendly relations.  CMO strongly recommends a medical aid mission.  Not only will this prove beneficial to our relationship, it will provide us with valuable medical research.  Properly administered live blood draws could prove key.  Naturally, patients should also be questioned on diet, lifestyle, and general medical history, to try and isolate disease vectors or other risk factors.

As I'm sure our Quartermaster can confirm, our food stores won't last forever.  At some point, we'll have to eat 'wild' food, and I'd like to have some data to make recommendations on the safety of that.

Meanwhile, ghoul leadership should be explored as general guides.  Surely as career sailors, they are familiar with maps?  I did a quick PipBoy printout, and it would invaluable for future surveys if the ghouls could prove any details on the present day Metro area.  Hopefully my alma mater at UPenn didn't get hit too hard.  If intact, CMO recommends a future survey to the research hospitals there.

(OOC: URL with thumbnail.)

Speaking of details of the Metro area, the so-called 'Bird Gang' appear to be a menace.  We should keep our distance from them.  Ideally they shouldn't know we exist until we've made the necessary preparations.  Trying to negotiate with them so early might just mark us as targets.  Recommend our ghoul guides mark 'turf' on the aforementioned map.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2021, 02:39:30 pm »

CMO's Plan (1): m1895

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2021, 03:04:38 pm »

CMO's Plan (2): m1895, Glass
All seems reasonable.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10