Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting artifact out of insta crash zone  (Read 2362 times)

HammerofBael

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Getting artifact out of insta crash zone
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:45:28 pm »

So my adventurer received a quest to get a nightmare parchment scroll out of a certain human fort across the world. It seemed like a fun quest as the fort was in the middle of the dead-lands belonging to the worlds most powerful necromancer who turned a huge peninsula into their empire and pretty much destroyed all the human, elf, and goblin civs there. I escaped from armies of intelligent undead who slaughtered all my companions and were pretty unstoppable, looted a sack of gems and riches from the shops in a city that was completely destroyed and overrun with infected ghoul zombies, slept amongst the ruins of villages while the hordes of the undead meandered just outside, and liberated a human civ under goblin occupation along the way. At the end of my adventure though I ran into a pretty insurmountable obstacle. The moment I get too close to the fort with the scroll in it my fps comes to a dead stop and I have to close the game in task manager :'(.

I looked in legends viewer and there's about 3000 humans, 1000 goblins, and 200 elves living there. It's basically the last bastion of civilization on this side of the world and all the survivors are packed tight like sardines, which I imagine is what causes this. I tried deleting the speech folder from data to get everyone to shut up for a minute while I ran in and got the scroll, hoping that would help the fps issue, but it didn't work. I also tried installing DFhack for the first time, but from what I can tell there isn't a way to get a specific pre-existing artifact like that scroll, but as I've said, it's my first time using it and I could be wrong.

Does anyone know anyway I could get it out of there? I would really like to complete it because I made it into a huge adventure and it was for the monarch of my characters civ. I also role-played that my character sees this as an opportunity to improve their standing in the world since there goal is to rule. Please and thank you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Getting artifact out of insta crash zone
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 06:59:29 pm »

You could probably raid for it in fort mode, then grab it from your fort. Just need a squad with high enough ambusher to not get detected.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:04:20 pm »

I also role-played that my character sees this as an opportunity to improve their standing in the world since there goal is to rule. Please and thank you.

You could probably raid for it in fort mode, then grab it from your fort.

you know, if your character has high enough socials, you could perhaps do something like:

• retire adventurer somewhere safe, and near where you would build such a fort
  • get a fort established in the same civ, then retire it
  • unretire the adventurer, travel to the fort, become a hearthperson?, retire in the fort
  • unretire the fort, get population up to 50, see if your character gets elected mayor
  • your mayor can now organise the raids, satisfying the rp goals...

i'm not clear on the specifics of step 3, but iirc rumrusher has done a bunch of research about getting people from adv mode real positions in forts, check the recent threads in this section

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 10:00:42 pm »

Wouldn't sending your adventurer on the raid be better?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?