Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How often does your game crash?  (Read 4650 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: How often does your game crash?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 02:00:57 pm »

i will say that i've never had any crashes in adventure mode, it's only with fortress mode.
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 04:49:04 pm »

i will say that i've never had any crashes in adventure mode, it's only with fortress mode.
How often does your fortress mode crash (in 47.05)?

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 08:17:09 pm »

uh i'm on 47.04, but it was crashing after only an ingame month or so. i just lost exactly a month's worth of progress since it autosaves seasonally and the military shift change just occurred. interrupting the game to save frequently helps, i didn't do it this time because i was after data ::)
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 08:30:21 pm »

uh i'm on 47.04, but it was crashing after only an ingame month or so. i just lost exactly a month's worth of progress since it autosaves seasonally and the military shift change just occurred. interrupting the game to save frequently helps, i didn't do it this time because i was after data ::)
Likely the equipment crash, which was fixed (kind of).
You should play the latest version of the game. Fixes a major save corrupting crash for a start (and if it doesn't everyone really needs to know).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 04:14:15 am »

Not fully fixed - the quote was
   (*) Patched one form of military item corruption on load (root cause not identified)
I've helped at least one person with that since the release (dfhack's fix/corrupt-equipment helped for them).

As for what OP describes, I've gotten occassional DF crashes - especially when I've left it sitting open for a long time in the background - but never really lost a save for good (though I do keep backups just in case). Different circumstances, however.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 04:17:18 am by Fleeting Frames »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2021, 04:25:58 am »

Not fully fixed - the quote was
   (*) Patched one form of military item corruption on load (root cause not identified)
I've helped at least one person with that since the release (dfhack's fix/corrupt-equipment helped for them).
Yes, seems to happen less often now at least. Hopefully more crash reports will help root out the cause.
Was that a 47.04 save carried over?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 05:35:03 am »

Checking, does seem to be so.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 05:23:55 pm »

I've had very few crashes in fort mode, but many in adventure mode usually related to modding shenanigans like transformations i didn't allow to end before fast travelling/sleeping. Fortress mode crashes have all been one off events thus far that I couldn't attribute to anything in particular or replicate if I did have suspicions. Adventure mode crashes besides the above stated usually involved a werebeast (so also a transformation issue) or a travelling creature (* on the map) that i suspect to be intelligent undead or night creatures.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 05:55:02 pm »

Now that you mention it, it wasn't a crash, but the only occasion where FPSHell actually discouraged me from playing was in Adventure mode.  (I've had "0 FPS", but it was still not unplayable, could have been ~0.5FPS rounded down, and my playing-style in a fortress involves a lot of paused-while-micromanaging...)

This instant was, I assume, due to subterranean disturbances (I never knew for sure, but I assumed cavern-caveins/magma-flow-to-hell caused by mapgen errors in the currently loaded area-scale tiles), although I'd also been setting up campfires as it was shortly after their introduction as a bogieman thing, so maybe excessive fires (NB: not wildfires, that I know of, anyway) or just-beyond-sight bogieman armies trying to stalk me.  Whatever it was, I remember that stepping one tile took something like minutes for the game to respond to (so measurable somewhere in the range of microFPS, I would say), and I thus slowly (play-time, not game-time) wandered back and forth trying to map out edges in the effect (and light campfires as part of that, ironically, but perhaps helping prove that no surface fire/temperature issues were actually involved).

My memory is hazy about the details (I think I remember noting it in a thread, that will contain more accurate impressions and facts straight from the incident) but I'm sure I just tired of trying to tie it down, and/or a version update came along and I perma-archived the prior worldgens (Adv/Fort) never more to interact with them. I'll probably still have the DFvX.YZ directory, somewhere, but it might easily be on a long-unplugged HDD, even if I track down what era I'd need to look at.

And, as mentioned, it never crashed, which probably makes this a useless (as well as vague) reminiscence to recite. But recite it I did, I suppose!

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 07:23:31 pm »

i had that happen while messing around in a Dawnthunder save, but that was a few versions ago and Dawnthunder's a mess to begin with. Still, there is something to be said for the way generated forts are built causing immense lag due to pathing due to a) single tile wide passages, b) doors shut to animals but not dwarves, c) too many gd animals to begin with why are there horses in the fortress this is literally the worst possible design TOADY WHY I AM BEING TRAMPLED BY ANIMALS

i did have adventure mode crash but i had just tried to use a dfhack command to swap control to a different person so i could see underground so i'm blaming that as its the only time it happened.

Pages: 1 [2]