Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Who are the Gnosia? Game Over - Crew Win!  (Read 17763 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Who are the Gnosia? Game Over - Crew Win!
« on: April 07, 2021, 01:48:12 pm »

Gnosia infection has been confirmed. Setting a course for the Depotto system. Initiating cold sleep protocol.

All Gnosia must be eliminated before the destination is reached.

Welcome to Gnosia Mafia, an open setup for up to 15 players. It is based on the Switch game of the same name. Notably the setup features a lot of town power roles, but no roleflips.

Setup Rules
- There are no roleflips.
- The setup will consist of a scumteam of Gnosia, crew members and some or all of the roles listed below.
- The number of Gnosia and which roles are present will be confirmed at the start of the game.
- This is an open setup - I can answer any questions regarding roles or gameplay in-thread or in private messages.

Gameplay Rules
- Days will initially last 72 hours. There are no hammers. If the vote is tied at the end of the day there will be a runoff.
- The runoff is an extension to the day phase that lasts 24 hours. During this runoff players can only vote for the players who were tied for the vote. If the vote is tied at the end of the runoff phase the game proceeds with No Lynch.
- A player with the most votes after the initial day phase or after the runoff will be put into cold sleep and eliminated from the game.
- Please do not post after the deadline for the day ending. Votes will never be counted after that point.
- Weekends count as 24 hours.
- Players should vote in red.
- Players can vote for No Lynch. No runoff vote will occur if No Lynch is tied for the most votes.
- Nights last 24 hours.
- Communication between players regarding this game is only allowed in this thread and in mod-provided quicktopics.
- Do not quote any private communication you receive from the moderator.
- Flavor text is purely for flavor - it will never provide any additional information regarding player alignment or the source of a kill.

Spoiler: Possible Roles (click to show/hide)

Players:
TricMagic
ToonyMan
Caz
VectorSent to cold sleep day one
BluarianKnight
webadict
notquitethere
EuchreJackWent missing night one
Jim Groovester
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:18:27 am by Leafsnail »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? [0/up to 15]
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 01:55:24 pm »

Signing In.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:05:40 pm »

Reporting for duty.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:34:16 pm »

I like the non-flip idea. In

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:36:57 pm »

Caz, what do you think of Gnosia?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 04:39:09 pm »

I never played the actual thing. I read some stuff on it though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:44:41 pm »

Hurm. I will join this one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? [4/up to 15]
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:26 pm »

I seem to have an open slot now, so In.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? [4/up to 15]
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:18:25 pm »

Oh, right, I forgot to join this one.

In.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? [6/up to 15]
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 06:51:11 am »

I better be Gnosia. Have to redeem my mafia playing.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 07:26:00 am »

Cool, policy lynch cold sleep NQT!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 10:39:30 am »

I hope you're good at fake-claiming then. I think fake-claiming is critical to mafia's success here, night ability-wise.

A full setup looks like this:

Town
Crewmate - vanilla townie
Engineer - cop
Coroner - forensics cop/mortician
Guardian Angel - doctor
Guard Duty - masons

Mafia
Gnosia - vanilla mafioso

Mafia-Ally
AC Follower - vanilla mafioso-ally

Pseudo-SK Survivor
Bug - immune to mafia kill, dies to cop inspection

If mafia don't fake-claim or counter-claim town roles as they come up, then I think they will end up cornered and be eliminated swiftly.

It's up to town when they should decide to claim, but if mafia fake-claim their role first they need to counter-claim or it's going to cause massive headaches in the long run.

There's no trackers or redirectors, so anybody you target will be exactly who you target and nobody can confirm you really have. There's rare exceptions, for example if the Engineer inspects the Bug then the Bug will die and the Engineer will get back human as a result. If the Gnosia kill someone else and they aren't protected by the Guardian then you'll end up with two deaths at night, which is only possible if one of the dead players is the Bug. A fake-claiming Engineer would need to say they also inspected one of the dead players that night and got a human result to look legitimate.

Also, as an interesting but very unlikely scenario: If the Bug is protected by the Guardian and the Engineer inspects the Bug, the Bug still dies.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:42:03 am by ToonyMan »

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 11:28:39 am »

I won't be able to play Gnosia, but I'll be watching.

Here's some other advice:

- AC Followers and Bugs can also engage in fake-claims as well, for different reasons. AC Followers want to fake-claim to sow chaos by providing false data for the Town, while Bugs want to avoid suspicion so they can survive to the end of the game (and also to pretend to be active so that they don't get seen as lucky survivors).

- Since the Town wins when all Gnosia is put into cold sleep, the Town is incentivized to only hunt for Gnosia...and targeting a AC Follower could be seen as a waste of time. Thus, it may make sense for an AC Follower to...honestly claim to be an AC Follower, and thereby justify their scummy behavior. This might also prevent the Gnosia from night-killing you and accidentally hurting themselves. The AC Follower gives up the ability to sow chaos via fake-claims, but ensures that the Gnosia team gets one additional vote, which might be useful in LYLO scenarios.

For that very reason though, Bugs may also consider fake-claiming as AC Followers - both to justify their scummy behavior and to deter a Gnosia night-kill. If the Bug is targeted for a night-kill by the Gnosia, it will fail automatically, inadvertently revealing to the Gnosia who is the Bug. Though the Gnosia can't kill the Bug at night, they can lead a bandwagon against the Bug during the day.

I'm not sure how Engineers would handle a claim of an AC Follower. They might decide to not investigate that person, since it might be a waste of time better spent finding Gnosia...or they may choose to investigate just to make sure the individual in question is not a fake-claiming Bug.

(The video game doesn't allow AC Followers or Bugs to claim to be AC Followers, by the way. They can only fakeclaim as either engineers or coroners. But it does seem that there is some value in claiming to be an AC Follower.)

- If you're a real engineer, and you're being counterclaimed, consider investigating those who counterclaimed you. They're obviously the enemy, but you want to see if they're a Gnosia or a Human (and thus an AC Follower/Bug).

- Anyone who is night-killed by the Gnosia is Human, so a Gnosia who is counterclaiming the real engineer won't night-kill that real Engineer since doing so would disprove their fakeclaim. This assumes, of course, that those are the only two people who are claiming to be engineer. If there are three people claiming to be engineer, night-kill one and keep the other one alive.

That being said, if all the fake engineers get sent to Cold Sleep, then there is no more incentive to keep the real engineer alive. Same logic is probably at play for coroner fake-claims as well.

EDIT: I actually have one question about this setup. In the video game version of Gnosia, the "Guard Duty" roles are essentially mod-confirmed Townies, and Gnosia are unable to fake as them. This, of course, means that as soon as the Guard Duty roles claim, the Gnosia gets ready to target them for night-kills. Leafsnail, is that same limitation at work in the forum game version of Gnosia? Or is it possible for Gnosia to fakeclaim as "Guard Duty"? (The Gnosia are already buddies with each other, so it's a little easier for them to pretend to be Masons in the latter scenario.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:55:44 am by Skynet »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 05:12:43 pm »

EDIT: I actually have one question about this setup. In the video game version of Gnosia, the "Guard Duty" roles are essentially mod-confirmed Townies, and Gnosia are unable to fake as them. This, of course, means that as soon as the Guard Duty roles claim, the Gnosia gets ready to target them for night-kills. Leafsnail, is that same limitation at work in the forum game version of Gnosia? Or is it possible for Gnosia to fakeclaim as "Guard Duty"? (The Gnosia are already buddies with each other, so it's a little easier for them to pretend to be Masons in the latter scenario.)
No - they're just masons in this game, fakeclaiming them is allowed. There are some limitations in the videogame (eg the Guardian Angel can't claim, Guard Duty cannot be falsely claimed) but I'd rather not restrict what players are able to do here.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the Gnosia? [7/up to 15]
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 03:16:35 am »

Good time for PTW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23