Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 28079 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: coffee
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2021, 04:00:07 pm »

I am super happy with my Baratza Virtuoso, it's built like a tank and has stood up to daily use and abuse for almost a decade.  They sell parts for them too, and not at a crazy markup.   The only thing I ever had to replace was the burr ring because the side retaining tabs cracked off (as it's designed to do if it hits something too hard to grind like a pebble), and it was like $8.   That might be a bit much if you're not sure of a multi-year commitment, I've heard good things about the Baratza Encore as a better starting point, try to catch a sale too.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2021, 04:02:47 pm »

Like I said way above, Krups seems like a good mid-range offering. My Krups has easily lasted me a decade, never replaced anything on it. Newer models may vary.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2021, 06:55:17 pm »

OK, about to actually purchase some things for real ... I decided on a nice manual grinder because my mother is nostalgic about the kind she used to see on the farm. She doesn't especially like me drinking coffee so the aesthetic will help her maintain a cheerful disposition :) Plus there is less heat output. (expensive but I am chucking a stimulus check at this project anyhow).

One of the things that I want to buy is one of those cylindrical electric kettles where you push the button on top to manually pump out water, for my office at work. I'm really nostalgic about that kind of water boiler. Does anyone know anyone who makes them and sells them in the US other than Zojirushi?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2021, 02:53:09 am »

Since I'm in the wrong hemisphere of the globe to give specific advice on your question, my general advice would be to start by investigating any local hospitality or catering supply stores for their kettle options. I commonly see those type of units within hotel settings, and I'd expect the stores that cater to those businesses would sell that kind of device.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2021, 09:33:52 am »

Oh, I see. No, I don't want the ones that are like, for a hotel. I want the one like this one. I got used to it while working in a Chinese-American boss's house.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2021, 10:01:41 am »

On the manual grinder, make sure to get one that gets good reviews *from coffee enthusiasts* like James Hoffman, non-enthusiast reviews like Amazon are not worth as much as they don't value or evaluate the things you'll need to get top notch coffee.

Sorry I don't have any recommendation for other than the Zojirushi, those are the ones I've been eyeing but find it hard to justify the price when I have a fast electric kettle with temperature set,  maintain temperature and automatic turnoff, maybe look at one of those as an alternative.   If you're going to do any kind of pourovers a gooseneck kettle is definitely handy anyway...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2021, 11:44:08 am »

Oh, I see. No, I don't want the ones that are like, for a hotel. I want the one like this one. I got used to it while working in a Chinese-American boss's house.

I mean, it's nice? But a $15 electric kettle from Walmart or wherever is easier to clean and has fewer electronics that can breakdown?

Just saying. Been using the same kettle for probably 7 years now. About the worst thing is that you have to descale it from time to time.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2021, 01:38:14 pm »

Yeah ... the thing is that I want to heat an amount of water that will let all my students bring their tea mugs and drink tea during office hours ... it's not for personal use (I am getting an inexpensive gooseneck for home). It's kind of a professional investment.

Well, I will think about it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2021, 06:09:00 pm »

Fair. Although bog standard ones, I can fill my normal French Press to the top while only filling the kettle about 1/4. So they hold quite a bit of volume.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:25 pm »

Ya, not for coffee though ... for hot water dispensing in the office ...

Anyway, like I said I have to think about it.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2021, 02:11:31 pm »

Hi,

I am trying to learn to make coffee. I require the following two items that I do not yet possess:

• grinder
  • french press

yeah yeah drip coffee is how our fathers, my father included, did it, I'm losing my right to call myself pro-union and pro-worker. I don't care. Tell me about what to look for in a grinder and in a french press.

Coffee is a cultural icon; it's how your ancestors eventually lead you to be woke up in the morning, assuming you're American (not a great assumption), and assuming you can appreciate the sanctity of your morning routine, you'll notice some valued interjections: the chemistry of your day; the tasks of your day; and the flavor with which you'll pair with your roast.

I suggest a mild coffee, with three too many sugars and just enough cream to make it mono.  I would certainly look for a grinder that allows for a variable grind, which isn't hard to find, and you should avoid hand cranks unless you're looking for a cup of java.

And uh, I don't press.  Just grind.  The sanctity of the bean is at stake; we can't compromise to the French.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2021, 03:05:48 am »

Viva la France!

Investing in a decent but not overly expensive french press coffee pot will have a dramatic difference to your quality of brew. Seriously, drip coffee has to be one of the worst coffee preparation methods invented. I'm sorry Americans, but when you've grown up surrounded by espresso cafes on every street corner, in a country where Starbucks went out of business because locals couldn't stand the poor quality, be prepared to get harshly judged.

Now, I like my coffee strong, with milk. I'll add two large tablespoons of grind for a two cup french press pot, brew for a quarter hour, and press. To this brew, nothing but a splash of fresh milk is required, since sugar spoils the taste and turns it into coffee flavoured confectionary. The beans I buy are supermarket blended South American, and I'll grind them in a food processor on a low setting and refrigerate or freeze them for storage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2021, 11:02:20 am »

brew for a quarter hour

Jebus I thought I liked it strong. That's borderline Middle Eastern coffee at that rate.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2021, 02:47:34 am »

Anything less is just dirty brown water.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2021, 11:28:01 pm »

Anything less is just dirty brown water.

or if you have ADHD like me brew anywhere between four minutes and one hour!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7