Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: coffee  (Read 28030 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: coffee
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2021, 04:15:29 pm »

Update! I officially ordered my coffee junk with a chunk of a stimulus check. I also bought some dried chicory for an additive.

co-FEE, co-FEE, co-FEE
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2021, 04:40:20 pm »

Meanwhile I’m sitting here in a hotel room drinking Holiday Inn coffee that I’m pretty sure is over 5 hours old.

Moments like this are why I cannot call myself a coffee aficionado. Just an addict :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2021, 11:29:04 am »

Greetings all:

I have now learned to make coffee (!!), specifically the dream of learning coldbrew, although admittedly the present concoction leaves an absolutely terrible taste in my mouth. It might be too concentrated. Or could be the beans, idk. It's my first bag o beans and I went for a blend that is as boring as it is locally popular.

I did have the specific experience recently of buying a $5 latte at the grocery store and thinking: "No, my coffee is better than this. Why would I buy this, when mine is so much better." That is pretty good for a person who is still on their first bag.

So far the only implements that have arrived are 1. the French press and 2. a stainless steel gooseneck kettle. The time that I took to research both really paid off. They were within my budget, and turned out to be better designed than I expected and easy to use. Plus, the gooseneck kettle cost $60 less than the similar gooseneck kettle with no interior plastic that my parents sprung for some time ago. Good job Veckle :)

Now my mom is asking for a demonstration of the French press when they visit next time, since my dad doesn't have the hang of the French press life :D

I think probably the next stage of the project will be getting ice cube trays so that I can freeze leftover coffee and/or just as a cold brew additive.

Q: "Vector, you're an adult! Why don't you have ice cube trays?!"

A: Well, I used to have some novelty silicon ones that made ice cubes in the shape of stars, but they were very difficult and annoying to use, as it turns out. And then I didn't get new ones because I pretty much never used to make iced drinks, but now I'm living in a hotter climate.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2021, 03:00:25 am »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I love a cold coffee. A dash of milk in a freezing cup in the morning is exactly what I need.

I started preparing my coffee the night before. Pour boiling water into the french press and let it sit for a bit. Before I go to sleep, I put it in the fridge and in the morning push down the filter (if there's no resistance, I'll pull it back to agitate the coffee grounds). It's been a lovely experience and has made my coffee taste better than usual.

Is it possible to "oversteep" coffee like tea? How am I changing the flavor by doing this?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2021, 11:43:57 am »

Coldbrew doesn't do it for me personally. The bitterness of the coffee lingers strong with coldbrew. I like the way the flavors and aromas mingle when it's hot. They seem to separate out when it's cold.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2021, 01:59:50 pm »

The only way I like my coffee cold is when it is mixed in a espresso martini (no, there's no martini in that, it's just served in a martini glass for the looks)

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2021, 01:02:16 am »

Vector, don’t get addicted. This is advice you haven’t asked for, but don’t do it.
I’ve got a friend who’s all-but addicted to coffee — he has to have at least a cup or day, or he suffers crippling headaches and worse. I mean, he basically goes through coffee withdrawal. Have it, but not too much.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2021, 11:12:53 am »

For another perspective, I drink between 6 and 9 cups a day, and when I go an entire day without caffeine, I *don't* get crippling headaches. /shrug

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2021, 11:33:10 am »

I advise y'all to take caffeine breaks--one to two week periods without having a cup. This'll reset your levels.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2021, 11:36:23 am »

I probably should, can't remember the last time I didn't have coffee for any real period of time.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2021, 11:40:53 am »

I probably should, can't remember the last time I didn't have coffee for any real period of time.

Honestly it's nice, I do it regularly--the first cup back is always fire.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2021, 11:42:00 pm »

I advise y'all to take caffeine breaks--one to two week periods without having a cup. This'll reset your levels.
Why would anyone do anything so silly?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2021, 12:14:39 am »

Urist, at this point, the only thing keeping me vertical is coffee.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2021, 05:53:52 am »

You could try a gyroscope
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2021, 06:05:30 am »

You could try a gyroscope

Don't like the taste.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7