Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paradox set a world record on Steam!  (Read 2742 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paradox set a world record on Steam!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 05:14:00 am »

A shame - I thought Imperator Rome was (finally) a fun map painter after the latest updates. I only stopped playing because once you hit Great Power status, there's not a lot of challenge left in the game beyond managing your stability to avoid having to put down too many revolts. Its not like the AI can deal with the swarm of legions a Great Power can mass.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 11:25:09 am »

Overall, I think Paradox is pursuing the path towards AAA developer status.  I won't speculate on where they might be on that path, but they're on that path to either become an AAA developer or die.  They're either going to be the Electronic Arts of Strategy gaming, or they're going to be going bankrupt.

Look at the history of other studios.  You can see what Paradox is doing reflected in their paths.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 12:31:14 am »

It probably doesn't help that VtM: Bloodlines 2 took a huge chunk of money from them that may or may not pay off for them eventually given it's current in limbo status. I can't imagine that did their current financials any good.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 01:37:28 am »

Ah, this is where I saw that about Imperium. Darn, I was going to give that new patch a try at some point and re-write my steam review on it.

I saw this in the Planetside 2 Launcher, or rather a link that has this in it

https://www.daybreakgames.com/news/daybreak-games-eg7-message-from-robin-flodin

I don't know if that's who you were referring to or not about owning Daybreak. I don't know much about it. It did mention they own Everquest and DDO too, which is interesting since I've enjoyed both of those in the past years ago.

...VtM: Bloodlines 2...in limbo status...

Drat Blaaaa-ahhhhhh <-vampire noise
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 04:33:46 am »

Imperator is actually quite a lot of fun now, probably my favorite PDX game. If it gets a mod on the level of CK2+ or MEIOU to shore up some of the weaknesses, add more flavor, etc, I could see myself sinking a couple hundred more hours into it.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 10:40:09 am »

Imperator is actually quite a lot of fun now, probably my favorite PDX game. If it gets a mod on the level of CK2+ or MEIOU to shore up some of the weaknesses, add more flavor, etc, I could see myself sinking a couple hundred more hours into it.

The Bronze Age mod (2.0) (the fanmade mod that updated it and has introduced new features/content etc) is actually pretty up there imo, its definitely the best mod for Imperator. Except its more a conversion that completely changes it, than a mod that keeps the same history but enhances gameplay a ton.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 04:34:56 am »

Oh Paradox. I loved you so.

They've been with me since some my first computer games. Among others Svea Rike, a historical strategy game made by Target Games, which was the company ran by the same people that eventually created Paradox.

They're probably the only developer that I've had an emotional bond too. It's real shitty they end up like this. I'm blaming epic or tencent or whatever their name is (even if they only one a minority of it).
Love, scriver~

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 04:40:23 am »

Just like EuchreJack writes, it's an inevitable development. If they don't expand fast enough and make more money than their competitors they will be bought up or go bankrupt. It's just how the market works.

I still bought this expansion, because I had all the other ones already. There was a good discount at some site I found through isthereanydeal . I have a mind block that makes it impossible for me to play games without all expansions, when I play them :P
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: 1 [2]