Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My game that is in part based on Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2894 times)

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My game that is in part based on Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 11:20:35 pm »

I don't know. I appreciate you taking the effort to make the assets yourself, but I'm not surprised people find SV similarity problematic because I literally see very little stuff on that screenshot that doesn't remind me of Stardew Valley immediately.

Regardless I myself actually have no problem with your current design. Since it's non-commercial personal project, no reason not to take elements from game that have already been proven to work.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 04:02:18 am »

I will be watching it with interest.
I do agree with the posters above that reworking the UI to make it more unique will do the game more good than bad.
If only for just recognition, when I looked at the screenshot I honestly thought you are posting a SV mod, since I don't remember all the differences, and at a glance the UI looks the same (I am not trolling, this is what my brain thought, and I am not a fan of that game at all).

But there has been enough said about that, good luck!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

dreaddagorath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 10:51:17 am »

Regardless I myself actually have no problem with your current design. Since it's non-commercial personal project, no reason not to take elements from game that have already been proven to work.

Eventually it will be commercial.

There's nothing original about the Stardew Valley UI. It uses the same item bar from Minecraft and countless other games.  Other elements of the Stardew Valley UI were directly copied from Harvest Moon.  In fact, nearly everything in Stardew Valley including the game play, the plot and one of the characters were simply ripped wholesale from the Harvest Moon series.

dreaddagorath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2021, 12:55:43 am »

Created the Stone Kiln today that turns Wood into Ash and Charcoal.

Created the Stone Smelter today that turns Bituminous Coal Stone into Coke, and Ore into Metal Bars.

dreaddagorath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 12:48:05 pm »

In the past day, I have replicated most of the Dwarf Fortress Textiles industry.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Textile_industry

The following machines are now working.

Potash Pot
Spinning Wheel
Thresher
Loom
Quern
Screw Press

Here's a screenshot of the Quern and Screw Press. You can see some oil in the player's inventory that I created from Cotton Plants.

dreaddagorath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 01:43:02 pm »

I created the Clothier's Shop, that functions very much like the Dwarf Fortress version.

https://www.commonwombat.com/blog

Pages: 1 [2]