Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Refugium of the Gods (IC)  (Read 4200 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Refugium of the Gods (IC)
« on: April 10, 2021, 03:45:32 pm »

For the gods, it all seemed rather swift. Their eyes simply opened and a night light diminished until darkness flooded in and world turned cold.

To the Sonorous King, the process that brought the Gods forth from the underlying light upholding the universe, was anything but swift. Time lost meaning many times over, for not even dust collected anymore. Only relatively recently, given that scale, did the gods begin to emerge slowly from the concentrated aether. This an exciting age for the Sonorous King, who by this point had long lost mobility, the caves growing over both him and his throne until he was simply an extension of the caverns. Slowly he watched as the light took shape.

Now the light has become flesh, and the magic of their birth fades, it's power source transferred to the gods. For the first time in many ages, the Sonorous King spoke, dust and dirt expelled as a cloud from a mouth left open for ten ages,"Welcome, Second Born of the Light. I welcome you to the world, humble as it has become since the Fall of Silence.

Much has been lost to time, I admit. Yet once this world was once a flourishing realm under the care of the First Gods. All of that, has long since died. This ruined city is all I know to remain, what lays beyond is unknown to me. Even if anything remains of that flourishing world, I cannot know what has managed to survive all this time, or what stranger things may have replaced them. I know only that the gods are meant to rule this realm.

Many of you have been born with positions of your ancestors, the Master of Numbers, the Chronicler, the Cartographer, and of course, my recently aquired friend who has kept me kept me company in the recent times. The Refugium recognizes your status, and it's power fuels your own. Yet your duties bind you, for that power is not given but earned. Care well in the performance of your most honorable roles, for your hand will decide whether the future of the Refugium falls to chaos or remains strong. Others seem to be both more and less fortunate. The world imposes on them no burdens from birth. To be born into the world without cares or burdens, a privilege know to few if any. Yet of course, this is but a temporary respite. Soon you will grow hungry, and the Refugium is not strong enough to feed you. Use the power of your birth wisely, for it too will wither if do not find souls to replenish it."

The Sonorous King paused for a long moment, a being unaccustomed to all but the slowest ebbs towards the future. He then spoke once more, "That is all. I could not hold you here even if I desired. The Refugium is your garden, a safe place to grow your future. Claim it as your own."

Looking out from the cave of the Sonorous King, the young gods could see a large city stretch out before them. It was organized into 8 numbered districts of various, but roughly the same size. Most are covered in ruins of an ancient metropolis. At one point it must have been quite grand, for remnants of huge structures scatter some districts. While in others, a few tall towers still stand, while others have long since toppled. Others seem to have stranger purposes and low flat buildings, or gullies and ridges dotted in geometric patterns. Each district seems to have once been flourishing, populated by an advanced race which could build these large stone structures deep within this massive cavern. Yet looking upon them now, the districts are in complete disrepair, and silence rules the region. If anything survived here, it's not made it's mark upon the ruined city. In the center of each district is a large monolith, which has a deep inner glow. Other smaller lights dot the districts, remnants of a long defunct lighting system. They create lonely pools of light in the ancient streets, isolated islands in a sea of dull darkness.

---

Spoiler: Current Cartography (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Logs of the Chronicler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:25:41 am by Roboson »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Re: Refugium of the Gods (IC)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 04:01:28 pm »

"We are not born to rule this realm, king."
Gibeele's black spikes chime.
"We are powerful, but that entitles us to no more joy and freedom than any creature. Rather, it obliges us to serve, don't you agree?"
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 04:12:21 pm »

Rather, it obliges us to serve, don't you agree?"

"I know that I cannot speak on behalf of my betters, young god. All that you can reach is yours, and none could tell you otherwise, nor stop you, if you sought to squander it. None save your own kin, born of the same Aether Light."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 04:49:24 pm »

"Just because we are able to take, and steal, and rule, does not mean we should. Nor does it mean that if we do those weaker than us should stand for it. Stand for what's right, even in the face of gods."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 05:01:22 pm »

" Stand for what's right, even in the face of gods."

"I long ago gave my ability to stand so that one day I may once again face a god. You have no quarrel with me."

ShadowDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 05:18:49 pm »

Machinery whirred and cameras came to life as Belyom woke. For a few glorious moments, her cloning pods readied themselves before it all came to a sudden halt and every light within her flickered as one.

"Tch. Insufficient power. I suppose I'll have to make some fuel procurement drones."

"Anyway, hello all and good..."
Several of Belyom's cameras turned towards the roof of the Refugium. "Well, I've not had a chance to calibrate my clock yet."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:25:38 pm »

"Yes, yes, greetings everyone! Now, to business."

2 Acts: Create Life (Minor Entity):
With my twin, create Thysiana, The White Witch, a very fluffy moth succubus to explore the world for us, and corrupt any mortals she encounters along the way.

Also explore. Southwest, if we get to choose?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:23:08 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 09:27:48 pm »

"Mm, yes, that is a fine idea, sibling."

Contribute 2 Acts to create Thysiana. Oh, and make sure that if she gets conflicting orders from us, she just ignores them rather than exploding.

Unless my twin vetoes, these are Thysiana's abilities:
- Relatively low combat ability, aided by offensive corruption powers. She should be able to defend herself from minor threats, but she's not a soldier.
- Flight, plus a moderate-range teleport. Helps to bypass obstacles like walls, and also helps avoid trouble.
- Very good social skills. Less so charm magic, more like supernaturally good at mundane socializing. The ability to learn and use new languages as she encounters them.
- Shapeshifting, especially where it would help with the above. IE shapechanging to better appeal to an alien species, or growing new organs to communicate with beings which communicate non-verbally, pheromones and such. Also useful for camouflage, either to blend in with other creatures or hiding with octopus skin, changing color and texture.
- Corruptive ability, sort of an extension of the above, except power over other creature's bodies as well. Can be used offensively, but will naturally be easier and more powerful with consent, which Thysiana is well-poised to acquire...

Also explore district 3 I suppose.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:04:10 pm by Egan_BW »

ShadowDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 01:25:09 am »

3 Acts: Create Life (Mortal Race): Create the Puppeteer Angels.
Spoiler: Puppeteer Angels (click to show/hide)
"Yes, yes, greetings everyone! Now, to business."

2 Acts: Create Life (Minor Entity):
With my twin, create Thysiana, The White Witch, a very fluffy moth succubus to explore the world for us, and corrupt any mortals she encounters along the way.

"Good work; Thysiana is a work of art. It's a bit embarrassing to have another make a proper monster before I could gather enough power to do so myself, but it can't be helped."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 01:34:29 am »

"Ah, well, what is or isn't a monster is entirely up to one's own interpretation! Why your, um, crab things sound perfectly monstrous to me! Um, no offense meant."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 02:28:46 am »

Numbers flicker into being in the emptiness of [], before sputtering out like dying stars. A timeless eternity later, a *ding!* sounds inside the minds of the other divines as a heavenly report impinges upon their consciousness with a cool heads up display.

DeityActs  StockpileIncomeExpenses
Nobody
+3, +2-0
[]
+3, +2-5
Cresceele
+3, +2-2
Gibeele
+3-2
Absolute
+3-0
Belyom
+3-3

0 Acts: [] explores District 8
1 Act: Blessing of Public Announcement Sensitivity. All mortals within district 8 are informed via convenient blue panels that pop into their vision/awareness that they are to gather at the location of [] for induction and processing into the ledgers of the City Council. The blue panels help guide them to []
4 Acts: [] creates {}, minor Being, darkness made physical, who feeds on killing things and breaking things, or otherwise ending them. {} communicates by emanating silences and darkness which override noise and light. It is imparted to {} to gather up mortals, by force if necessary, to meet [], so that they may witness the End that awaits all, and come to revelation.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:05:58 am by Demonic Spoon »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 05:10:16 pm »

"It would seem that the supply of food is currently questionable. There are likely stores to be found, but these still wouldn't be a sustainable solution in our underworld environs. I believe it would be wise to address this before we start building things higher in the food web."
The eel curls up somewhat pensively.
"I don't yet have the spare power to act on my vision for this alone, but on the other hand this is the sort of thing it would be good for us to collaborate on, seeing as we all stand to benefit. Our survival is pitted upon the survival of our hypothetical followers, and their survival is in turn pitted upon the survival of their food supply."

Gibeele seems to cheer up a little bit in anticipation to explain its proposal.
"I propose we create a durable magical crop able to create a surplus of food, such that no mortal need go hungry, and they are thus able to focus on more important things. An equitable distribution of food is important so that no one group can control the supply, and thus the populace. As such, this crop should be able to grow anywhere the people live, at least within the city. Would any of you be willing to help me? I need only a mote of power from two others."

Provided that two others agree to help, spent 1 Act to create a 3 Act magical plant.

Chaos Taters: A magical vine which can grow throughout the city, growing among shattered stone ruins as well as a normal plant grows in soil. The root is edible and nutritious, giving the average biological mortal all they need to survive. Without any sunlight, the iridescent leaves instead produce energy from the chaotic tides of the sundered outside world seeping through the anchors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 06:00:16 pm »

"Tsk tsk, what mortals eat should be dependent on their nature and status. Where their food grows should likewise be decided after careful review, and be the exclusive purview of its originator."

The eel rolls lazily over in the air.

"I do believe you're skipping steps, brother."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 06:16:42 pm »

"It's magic, brother. It can grow anywhere we want it to. And if we can let people grow the food they need, why not? They shouldn't go hungry. This safeguards against that possibility. We can make other foods later, but this will be available to everybody."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 07:23:08 pm »

A ball of radiance and light slowly settles down as Absolute forces it will to form a physical manifestation of its body into existence.

”Hmph, the way the other gods initial creations into this new blossoming fresh new world are interesting choice but have correlation to the domains that define you, the only hope I have for all of you is that we can start with negotiating before the stresses of existence lead to conflict of different coalligning interests.”

Absolute sees the creation of the ones it refers itself as a Tempter and another as a Ender. As well as the creation of parasitic free-willed life forms
“Patience is a virtue.”

Explore District 1
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6