Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Refugium of the Gods (IC)  (Read 4111 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Refugium of the Gods (IC)
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2021, 11:16:56 am »

"Shelter and asylum, if you think you can manage. You'll note their injuries. All inflicted by this brute. And our sibling admitted themself that the shadow was following its instructions exactly." Gibeele says, its voice dripping with rage.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2021, 01:38:40 pm »

I wasn’t talking to you. But yes, I can see all that. It is hardly as if I am blind.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2021, 02:01:23 pm »

"Are you not? Then help!"
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2021, 02:04:03 pm »

Gibeele straightens up, crying a black tear.
"Very well then, I understand. You've seen that beast's power firsthand, haven't you? You fear it more than me, and I haven't demonstrated my ability to protect you. Perhaps you feel that Nobody can help you, that Nobody will give you a safe haven."

The tear falls to the street, a droplet of tar. Where it hits, a bauble appears. The tiniest of things, surely inconsequential and below notice, right?
4 Acts: Create Artifact, 2 Size 3 Severity.
Spoiler: The Rebel's Pin (click to show/hide)

"If you dare not speak, then know that actions speak louder than words! I seek not absolute power, I will not be a lord, I will not be your sole protector, you must be able to protect yourselves! But I can-"

Whip my tail around with force and bring it down on top of {}, aiming to smash it into the ground.

*ding!*

DeityActs  StockpileIncomeExpenses
Nobody
+3, +2-0
[]
+3, +2-5
Cresceele
+3, +2-0
Gibeele
+3-4
Absolute
+3-0
Belyom
+3-3

{} is instructed to attack Gibeele who had decided to act against the greater [] interests. Hopefully his might will allow him to interrupt their artifact crafting.

At the centre of [], perfect vacuum condenses down into something yet more sinister. A writhing blade of anti-existence, Godender, which could fell even the divine.

5 Acts: Create Artifact, God Ender, Size 1, Severity 5
A sword of non-existence. It's purpose is as simple as it is dreadful. To end gods.

[] tag teams Gibeele with {} attempting to kill or at least maim the errant god.

"Perhaps you feel that Nobody can help you, that Nobody will give you a safe haven."
A softly-glowing figure turns the corner, suddenly bearing witness to a scene wherein an eel-beast-god is loudly attacking a dark nothingness while a crowd of bonecrabs fearfully watch on.

...what the fuck is going on here, and why was I called?

They look over the crabs a moment.

Ah. You must be Belyom's works. A poor decision on their part to build you without proper hands. You will be requiring shelter, I take it?
Safety Warning! [] will be taking action to defend themselves against unwarranted and unprovoked aggression. Nobody is advised to leave the area to avoid being labelled as a potential enemy combatant.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:15:37 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2021, 02:11:13 pm »

- -

Nobody gestures toward the bonecrabs to follow him, and walks off to find a suitable construction site.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2021, 02:24:58 pm »

Evade the thrust by parting my body around the blade, then gain possession of it.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2021, 04:16:29 pm »

PTW
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2021, 05:25:55 pm »

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:40:41 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2021, 05:52:20 pm »

"Well this is completely uncivilized," Cresceele says, moving towards the battle. "What happened to resolving differences by pitting mortal champions against each other in elaborate games of divine chess?"

Approach conflict at high speeds. Estimate remaining time to arrival.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:01 am »

District 8, which has been silent for as long as the stones can remember, became the first field of battle in this reborn world. Gibeele who had observed []'s minor being, the shadow {}, capture a hundred or so of the puppeteer angels from a nearby district and return them to []. Gibeele, moved by the plight of the angels, who feared to even speak against their captors, struck at the shadow.

..."If you dare not speak, then know that actions speak louder than words! I seek not absolute power, I will not be a lord, I will not be your sole protector, you must be able to protect yourselves! But I can-"

Whip my tail around with force and bring it down on top of {}, aiming to smash it into the ground....

Gibeele's tail connects with the shadow, forcing it to the ground and splintering the earth beneath it. The strike of the god was truly surprising to the shadow! It lay there stunned for a moment, dazed and surrounded by the broken earth, before it smiled and bit into the tail of the god. Ichor ran out of the shadow's mouth as it tore at the godflesh with it's teeth. Unphased, but not uninjured by the biting chewing maw of the incorporeal beast, Gibeele moved to shake it off, sending a spray of heavenly ichor across the puppeteer angels. After a few powerful flicks of his tail, the beast's jaw lost its hold on the god's tail and with another spray of ichor, it was sent flying across the district!

During the confusion, many of the puppeteers fled the area in all directions. Half a dozen or so had been crushed as the god flailed the minor being around the area, their injured legs crippling their flight. They simply couldn't get out of the way fast enough, and were crushed in the fight. Though, several more were saved by one particular crab, who suddenly seemed larger and faster, her legs suddenly healed. She led the retreat, sending the crabs into a panicked and unguided run, while carrying two of the injured who could not run. Many crabs fled the area, while others took shelter anywhere they could find.

Having just thrown the shadow with a mighty swing of his tail, Gibeele turned immediately to it's master to confront them, the momentum of the swing now transferred into a rotation of the body. This is likely what saved Gibeele's life. In that instant, they saw the strange blade, power radiating off of it as it was thrust forward towards his eye. [] had created a terrible sword, an elegant hilt without a blade. Yet light and stange power radiated from where the blade should have been, but instead, absolutely nothing. It's brightness filled his vision, and Gibeele threw his weight into a dodge, carrying his motion from his tail swing moments ago, into a turn, and the finally a roll. He could not see the blade, but he knew whatever this was could not be good. The blade sunk in and the light went dark. The blade did not hurt. It did not burn. It simply passed through Gibeele's right eye and down his side, his dodge saving him from what would have likely been a fatal blow. Though he felt no pain, ichor drained out of him in thick globs. The blade was nothing, it made more nothing when it cut, and what was once Gibeele's eye was now nothing. As was a large part of his side. Desperate, Gibeele makes a quick counterattack on [], two swift and surprising jabs from the limbs scattered across his body, land solidly on [], their concussive power finding purchase and pushing [] back enough for Gibeele to reposition away from the defending god.

It was at this point, Nobody arrived from district 5. They had passed by {} who flew over them and landed somewhere in District 6. Shortly thereafter Cresceele arrived. They were met with a scene of carnage. Shadowblood mixed with holy ichor in a tail shaped crater. Several puppeteer angels crushed, their blood splattered over Gibeele, who themselves had a large gash from their eye to their stomach and was bleeding profusely. [] appeared mostly uninjured, a bit of bludgeoning from the two punches to the torso, but nothing akin to the injuries of Gibeele. Truly it was a gruesome sight.

All stand tensely, waiting to see who will act next.

Gibeele has been mortally wounded, requiring 2 acts per turn for four turns to keep them alive.

{}'s fate is unknown. Attempts at telepathic communication receive no response. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:24:11 am by Roboson »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2021, 11:39:09 am »

"Alright, let's hear it," Cresceele says, as though addressing petulant children. "How did things spiral this badly out of control, and what do you intend to do to fix it?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »

I was called here to build shelter, and that's what I'm going to do. You lot figure your shit out yourselves. For future reference, may I suggest not trying to kill each other?

Nobody left the scene - any of the crabs that had been able to leave already had, besides - and made their way toward the center of the Refugium.
About two thirds of the way to it, and at the border to District 4, they began their work.

Nobody's sword was - not plunged into the ground, it would be more accurate to say that it merged into it. Above its pommel, Nobody set their book, open, pages rippling with designs, switching between them faster than the mortal eye could even notice. One like a cavern, another like a castle, a tree-like structure, until it stopped on one. A sheer tower, inside riddled with tunnels and chambers, many empty, some filled.

And the pages came to life.

Golden sheets flew from the book's bindings, laying out upon the ground in a perfect reproduction of the structure's foundational footprint, measurements all lined out upon them; and when the final page was set, form erupted into being from the nothingness that had once occupied the plot. Within moments, where once had been a space empty even of ruins was now a great spire of marble, decorated with gold engravings of rejected alternate designs. Nobody looked it over, and nodded. Yes, this was a satisfactory first showing, at least on a surface level. Other details still had to be checked, perhaps revised. They grabbed their blade and tome... and suddenly struck the door.
A chip came off. As they watched, the crack in the stone shallowed, the edges closed, until there was naught but a hairline fracture - and then, not even that. Durability: satisfactorily enhanced. Repair functions: operating properly. Excellent.

Behind the main doorway, the entryway curved organically, like a cave. Despite having no apparent light source, not even the least corner was unlit, no shadows able to enter. Perfect.
Nobody arrived at the ground floor's hub chamber. Extending from the walls, from the floor, from the ceiling were a myriad of tunnels, each lined in meshes of green-blue rope. Nobody tugged upon one; it moved with their pull, but easily returned to its resting position. Even in the small gaps between the nets and the walls, no darkness could reach. Very good.

Down one of the floor's tunnels. This chamber - one of the basements - had a much higher roof compared to the entryway, and a floor of dirt rather than white stone. As intended, of course, as the ground was lush with plantlife and insects. Perhaps it was more akin to a garden than a proper farm, but it would do. And there were many other chambers like it below, as well as two specials ones...
...there. Nobody spotted the blue-and-white form of one of the Operation drones, and made their way toward it. This new room would be virtually identical to all the other chambers dedicated to farming, but for one difference: it was very clearly working automatically. Nobody could see why, of course; the Operation drones worked here, as they did in many other rooms around the tower. But such would be invisible and intangible to the mortal residents who would soon live here; they would see the product, and hopefully learn to use the other chambers themselves to achieve the same.

There was one more room to visit down below. As Nobody approached it, they could feel how the atmosphere felt a bit... damper, perhaps. Earthier. Heavier? Maybe.
Unlike the greenery that surrounded it, this final basement chamber was more subdued in greys and browns (though, of course, no less brightly lit). Here, the was a pile of clay cubes - small ones cubes, but a large pile. As Nobody watched, a new cube appeared at the pile's base.
All below-ground systems operating at full capacity. Time to ascend.

Although they had no need to, Nobody climbed the nets to get up, doubly assuring their functionality. They cut a piece on the way up, and watched the strands knit back together after a few minutes. Good.

Nobody passed by many chambers, mostly empty. The bonecrabs may have little now, but there should always be space to define how you want it. A structure is not defined solely by its architect, of course. Other chambers bore equipment for making rope, cooking meals, and creating other simple amenities. And for each of these types of rooms, there was one run by the Operation, automatically working so long as they had the proper inputs.
They eventfully reached what they knew to be the site of the tower's center of mass, a grand chamber filled with blocks of clay and soft woods, all ready to be shaped. In the very center - not only of the room, but of the tower as a whole - stood a statue - a familiar one, to any who had watched the structure rise from the ground. It was Nobody, sword in the ground, book before them, and in front of them, the tower's foundations were rising from the vacant earth.
It was a workshop for the artisan, a studio for the artist, a temple for the creator.

Yes, this was good. They felt they could be satisfied with this work. And although there were not yet any mortals to populate the structure, it was clear to Nobody's senses that the enchantments that would encourage the denizen's productivity and creative urges were firmly in place. This would certainly do.

Nobody returned to the entryway, opened the doors and walked outside to once more behold what they had worked. This was the Bastion.
Then they looked out at the ruins that it stood amongst.
...it was, at the very least, a start.

Nobody stuck around for a bit, at least until the first bonecrabs started arriving. Then they made their way back north, toward District 5. There was a mechanical graveyard that needed exploring.

3 Act Sublocation: The Bastion
Basic physical description: Massive marble skyscraper
Magical properties: Rejection of darkness on a conceptual level, enhanced durability, automatic repair, some automated workshops, aura of productivity and creativity
Location: District 8, border of District 4, close to the Refugium's center
Intended function: Residence of the bonecrabs/"Puppeteer Angels"

Also, so we're clear, I'm exploring district 5 again, with a particular focus on the Mechanical Graveyard sublocation and its contents.

Spoiler: To whom it may concern (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 02:23:31 pm by Glass »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2021, 04:08:00 pm »

"I've gotten what I came for. What more could I want?"

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2021, 05:15:12 pm »

"Alright, let's hear it," Cresceele says, as though addressing petulant children. "How did things spiral this badly out of control, and what do you intend to do to fix it?"
End Gibeele
If able, leave to District 6 to search for {}

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2021, 05:40:27 pm »

Evade and head for district 2. No reason for me to stay here anyways.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 05:56:52 pm by Egan_BW »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6