Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Dark Reign" - text simulator of the Lord of Darkness  (Read 1523 times)

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Dark Reign" - text simulator of the Lord of Darkness
« on: July 02, 2022, 02:30:38 pm »

Hi. Some time ago I published my game with you. It did not arouse any interest. No wonder, since it was in Polish. But I managed to translate it into English, so I am publishing a new version. "Dark Reign" is a text-based simulator of the Lord of Darkness. The player will recruit monsters, create spy networks and sects in the kingdoms of the Free Peoples, murder or corrupt heroes, recruit agents, collect magical artifacts, compete with other forces of evil, weave intrigues and make conquests. The game is in an html file, runs in the browser - but works offline, does not connect to the Internet. Comments are very welcome, both on the game itself and the language layer.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jo02rkmul8jqv95/Dark_Reign_1.51.html/filehttps://www.mediafire.com/file/bwuhdyqz0w0gr0e/Dark_Reign_1.53.html/file
Best regards.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:21:02 am by Adeptus7 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: "Dark Reign" - text simulator of the Lord of Darkness
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 04:13:43 pm »

Part of the game is still in Polish. For example, if you click "female" as your gender during character generation, the next page will be in Polish (but the next page after that is in English again).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 04:40:20 pm »

Thank you very much, I immediately corrected it (in the first post - link to the corrected version). This should be an isolated incident - the last time I checked if all the scenes were translated, I checked them by searching for some Polish keywords appearing in the stats panel - just this screen is one of the few where it wasn't, that's why I missed it, the rest should be OK. I hope you're not discouraged and will play to the end ;)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 05:37:45 pm »

There are some awkward phrases here and there, to wit:
"The rebels broke up several minor troops sent against them, and they began to be rumored, with new volunteers joining them." should probably be "The rebels broke up several minor forces sent against them, and as they began gain fame, new volunteers joined them."
"They will be the sown seed that will sprout warped flowers." I don't know why, but the word "sown" sticks out for me. just "the seed" is fine.
"I am Morug Noseless - declares the tribe's leader. - Morug and his troops kneel before the War Lady." should be "I am Morug the Noseless - declares the tribe's leader. Morug and his troops kneel before the War Lady."
" Its members have performed several minor commissions for us." "commissions" should just be "missions". They are not artists :)
similarly "They were commissioned by intermediaries and have no idea who they work for." "commissioned" should be "employed".
finally, in the same event they call "War Lady" "the Crypt of Darkness", I don't know if this is indented, but I didn't think so.
"Such big wolves, very toothy." Should be something like "They are big wolves, with big teeth."
in the resolution, "They can't tame it. " should be "They can't be tamed."
"Instead of knobs, he has two black holes" should be "Instead of eyeballs, he has two black holes". "knob" is slang for the male reproductive organ. :)
the rest of the sentence is no better " Instead of knobs, he has two black holes - no, it's not that his eyes have been gouged out. Its eye sockets are bottomless voids, resembling a starless sky." should be " Instead of eyeballs he has two black holes - it's not that his eyes have been gouged out, rather his eye sockets are bottomless voids, resembling a starless sky."
Also," You reach for your gun" I thought this was medieval fantasy?
"The monks fight fiercely with swords and spears but are overwhelmed by the overwhelming force." has the word "overwhelming" twice. maybe say "defeated by the overwhelming force."?
a formation called a "wall of shields" is just called "shieldwall"
"I can't do anything, or don't want to do, with it." should be "I can't, or won't, do anything with it"
"I will lewave it alone." should be "I will leave it alone."
"especially since your powers will not diminish without it." should be "especially since your powers will diminish without it." (since your magic power decreases from that choice.)
"TYour mental tentacles penetrate the minds of the inhabitants of the Kingdom of People" should be "Your mental tentacles penetrate the minds of the inhabitants of the Kingdom of People"
"Admittedly, they also have their weaknesses, such as sensitivity to the sun, but there is something for something." should be "Admittedly, they also have their weaknesses, such as sensitivity to the sun, but everyone has a weakness." or something similar.
"Will you try to make order with Garil before he becomes too dangerous?" should be "Will you try to take care of with Garil before he becomes too dangerous?" unless you meant "make peace"?
"I cannot or does not want to take any action." should be "I cannot or do not want to take any action."
"Unfortunately, the captured captives turn out to be dark, stupid villagers. " should be "Unfortunately, the captured prisoners turn out to be dumb, stupid villagers. "

Also, it says "But he is not dead who can rest for centuries" even if you pick female.

Sometimes, I'm not sure what triggers it, polish text for relations between kingdoms appears beneath the English text for the same.
And sometimes the link with the words "Zapisz grę" appears, but does nothing. (saving the game discolors both links.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After that, I had no more choices (is this by design?) and finally the screen just went blank before the first battle.
and again (during my second play-through)
Success in Daeron's attack sets dwarven strength to -1, instead of adjusting it by 1.
I don't know if this is a bug, but having the king of men on your side does not increase your power.
My second play-through also ended with a blank screen, this time in a different place- before the ice people battle.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:04:58 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 03:30:45 am »

Thanks a lot! I'm moving to fix it!
Can you send a screen shot right before the error with the Ice People? Preferably so that your stats can be seen.
After that, I had no more choices (is this by design?) and finally the screen just went blank before the first battle.
As above, please screen directly in front of a blank screen (this is the only situation where it is reasonable to use the backing option).
"Such big wolves, very toothy." Should be something like "They are big wolves, with big teeth."
In the case of orcs,awkward speaking is intentional ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:25:42 am by Adeptus7 »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 04:10:55 pm »

This is pretty neat, if simple. The very few stats make sense when you're dealing with an actual physical book, and you have to use pen and paper to keep track. When a computer does it all for you, a whole lot of stats would make the gameplay feel more meaningful.
Anyway, I had the same (?) issue with no more actions being taken after maybe a year? I could only click continue and read event descriptions, until the final battle was upon me. But that just led to a blank screen.

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 06:15:57 am »

@a1s
I don't know if this is a bug, but having the king of men on your side does not increase your power.
What do you have in mind? Doesn't your strength increase when your handmaidens succeed in seducing the king, or when the king pays you tribute instead of battle?

@ Il Palazzo
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have finally found the bug you are talking about leading to blank screens. I'm uploading the corrected version to the first post.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 09:28:46 am »

@a1s
What do you have in mind? Doesn't your strength increase when your handmaidens succeed in seducing the king, or when the king pays you tribute instead of battle?
The second one.
Spoiler: details (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 12:52:01 pm »

I don't know if this is a bug, but during the event about the prophesy of the Chosen One I am offered an option to "let my servants in the Kingdom of Men deal with this.", even if I have no servants in the Kingdom of Men.
"I can't do anything, or don't want to do, with it." should be "I can't, or won't, do anything with it"
"The whirlwind blows, the whirlwind weak trees break, hey." should be "When the whirlwind blows the weak trees break."
Spoiler:  Zapisz grę (click to show/hide)
"At the front of the army rush the orcs on the lips." I think you mean "on the vargs".
"Human bodies in various degrees of over-eating" should be "Human bodies in various degrees of being eaten"
I don't know if this is a bug, but fighting the army of men has not reduced my strength (I had 28, they had 19) or elves. Dwarves inflicted damage because I took their machines.

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 01:18:10 pm »

Sorry, I am grateful for your comments, but I don't understand it. The first version makes much more sense for me.

Are You sure that You play latest version 1.48? When I look at the scene with behemoth, there is "Save the game" not "Zapisz grę"....

I just have corrected errors with "lips" and "over-eaten", thank You for pointing them out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:50:27 pm by Adeptus7 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 04:08:49 pm »

Sorry, I am grateful for your comments, but I don't understand it. The first version makes much more sense for me.

Are You sure that You play latest version 1.48? When I look at the scene with behemoth, there is "Save the game" not "Zapisz grę"....
I don't recall seeing those descriptions. I will try again as the Temptress tomorrow and I'll tell you for sure.
I'm sure it was 1.48. I only have 1.0, 1.1 and 1.48, and I saw many of the fixes I mentioned.

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 04:40:59 pm »

When you get to the problematic part, please take screenshots - so that you can see the stats.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 04:12:26 pm »

" This will put the Kingdom authorities on alert and make it easier for your more secretive servants to operate covertly."  "on alert" means they are more suspicious, not less.
The king issue has been fixed (or was never there and I'm just inattentive.)

Adeptus7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 10:21:41 am »

Thanks, i made the corrections and published new version.