Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Circadian Dice  (Read 10945 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Circadian Dice
« on: April 12, 2021, 09:08:24 am »

Does anyone have suggestions on hard mode? I managed 4 stars with the cleric, Onk's Fist, and some luck on the vampires. But I also feel like I just sort of do things arbitrarily.

I also managed to get only 4 stars on an easy mode level even though I only ever picked points as a reward and killed everything. Does anyone know how much score you get for doing other things?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Circadian Dice
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 12:26:47 pm »

For hard mode, the only time i managed to get a 4 stars was with the barbarian in the necromancer tower, but it was on the previous version of the game as since then the amazing chestplate + lockpick item combo (+witch knife to collect red gems) has been nerfed (the lockpick does only give a temporary damage multiplier now) unfortunately.

4 stars with the cleric on a scenario in hard mode feels like an impressive feat.

Trying to keep your gold can help when you don't miss the 5stars from much, as 1 gold in the end of a level = 10 more points.
But in hard mode keeping your gold is near impossible as you always want to buy better stuff to not get destroyed easily.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 12:38:56 pm »

Does anyone know how much score you get for doing other things?

It gives you a rundown at the end of a successful run. Remaining gold and opening chests both add more points.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:23:30 pm »

I was playing this most of Sunday, after I read about it on the other thread. I've managed to unlock all the characters, and have beaten the first mission at 4 or 5 stars with everyone, but otherwise it's pretty much a scattershot of easy completions with one or two characters.

So far I'm enjoying the necromancer the most - leveraging zombies for attack and profit (via the "turn zombies into XP and coins" skill) works very well, since otherwise I often have problems keeping my income up with the other classes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 05:41:43 pm »

I was playing this most of Sunday, after I read about it on the other thread. I've managed to unlock all the characters, and have beaten the first mission at 4 or 5 stars with everyone, but otherwise it's pretty much a scattershot of easy completions with one or two characters.

So far I'm enjoying the necromancer the most - leveraging zombies for attack and profit (via the "turn zombies into XP and coins" skill) works very well, since otherwise I often have problems keeping my income up with the other classes.

Out of the 13 levels (14 for cleric), you need 20 stars with each to get everything. Getting the easy wins to get better equipment then going back to get 4-5 stars is a good plan.

I agree that the necromancer is a great character, especially with trapper's mantle. Anyone who can improve die faces with skills is pretty great as well (I think ninja can add chains, someone can add stuns and maybe health steal, and probably cleric can add 2 hearts to a face - although anyone can luck into getting those skills). Suddenly a pretty good face becomes one you'll never want to get rid of.

And later items like Onk's Fist (barbarian's 4th item) and Windrider Bow (ninja's 4th item) that replace die faces with better ones are real helpful in saving gold.

Edit: Found out who has the skills I was talking about: ninja.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 06:10:39 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 08:17:44 pm »

Does anyone have suggestions on hard mode? I managed 4 stars with the cleric, Onk's Fist, and some luck on the vampires. But I also feel like I just sort of do things arbitrarily.

Generally speaking, you want to lean into their specialties, and getting a good turn 1 is pretty important. Moonstone Essence is a pretty dramatic boost for the Cleric since starting at half is a non-issue for them, and that third die for the first ~3 waves makes a huge difference in terms of number of debuffs you get and extra money to get good faces. Cleric can pretty much ignore red gems, magic attacks, and fangs (captures are still good since they pseudo-instagibs), in favor of other stuff (particularly reroll shields), since Shield Bash is kind of monstrous if you pull it off.

Depending on the stage, you can skip taking the score bonus for the first two or three rounds, but things get pretty tight, especially if you're not clearing quickly.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 01:24:41 am »

The monk 1st unlock (10 stars i think), the Belt of Balance seems to be something that would fit extremely well with the cleric.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 03:24:25 am »

So I unlocked the necromancer after playing for...maybe an hour. The Ninja is by far my worst class, failing to get five stars on even the easiest missions.

I totally get the addiction. This is a very cool game.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 05:46:48 am »

Ninjas actually pretty decent, if only because it starts with a great skill to shave down anything that doesn't have damage reduction, and the ability to get a free turn in case your rolls all REALLY sucked. Chain, on the other hand, is kind of difficult to take advantage of, so I kind of ignore it.

I'm finding Elementalist to be the roughest; it's reliant on its spell charges, and it just doesn't get enough of them to punch through the bosses in HM. Maybe if you take the Chest Plate and get a bunch of lore chests, but... eurgh, it's tough going.

Interestingly enough, Preacher's Pamphlet and Summoning Scythe basically make for a perfect combo, despite how thematically it sounds like their users would be opposed. (20* Cleric and Necromancer, respectively.) The former gives a bonus for every wave you finish with captures in all dice, and the latter lets you fill all active dice immediately.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 08:15:32 am »

Never noticed until now as i never took the item before for that class, but for the Barbarian the Ring of Fellowship (1st item of the Cleric) is really good, it gives a raptor pet to the 1st dice that increase by 1 point all the attack faces from it (and for the barbarian, the 1st dice always contain a face that has 2 axes, that is already good and with the item is really great).

Pile up as much axes faces from the shop (needs of course some luck to have the shop roll axes) as you can in that 1st dice and enjoy the show :)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:09:32 am »

Never noticed until now as i never took the item before for that class, but for the Barbarian the Ring of Fellowship (1st item of the Cleric) is really good, it gives a raptor pet to the 1st dice that increase by 1 point all the attack faces from it (and for the barbarian, the 1st dice always contain a face that has 2 axes, that is already good and with the item is really great).

Pile up as much axes faces from the shop (needs of course some luck to have the shop roll axes) as you can in that 1st dice and enjoy the show :)

Huh. Never really thought about it. And it's even better than it sounds-- it doesn't actually deal one extra damage, it deals an extra 1dam hit, which means you can punch through a layer of barrier. Unfortunately, your dice attacks first. I'm not sure how it works with a damage multiplier or other types of bonuses though.

(Also, has ANYBODY finished Campaign HM? I'm having enough of a headache trying to finish normal campaign, forget about trying to 5* it...)

Edit: Okay, it can punch through barrier, but does NOT hit for an extra damage on a target with a damage cap. Hrm.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:17:21 am by Aoi »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 10:46:35 am »

Never managed to win the normal mode Campaign, not even got 1 star out of it (that requires 2500 points), my best is 2318 points with the Barbarian.
I usually always lose somewhere around the 2nd scenario page.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 12:19:07 pm »

This one run took like an hour and a half, but awww yeeeeah.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 12:38:38 pm by Aoi »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 03:49:45 pm »

For hard mode, the only time i managed to get a 4 stars was with the barbarian in the necromancer tower, but it was on the previous version of the game as since then the amazing chestplate + lockpick item combo (+witch knife to collect red gems) has been nerfed (the lockpick does only give a temporary damage multiplier now) unfortunately.

I also managed 687 points (5 stars) with the ninja in the Hard Mode Forgotten Island. Onk's Fist and Windrider bow is a quite helpful start, especially when you occasionally proc the bow. 2 upgraded attacks means you can sometimes handle shields early on (and have 2 fewer die faces to worry about upgrading), especially when one is double piercing damage. I think I ended that with 15 gold. I think it helped a lot that I picked up a die face with attacks and a key on it, because I kept getting chests with like 8-9 hp. Stab a guy, then also collect the chest.

Plus it's a 2-damage pet to start (if you can buy a fang). That's...impressive. Hope to find some cursing double axes. Those are normally good, but with +1 damage, should kill stuff with splash damage and even damage through shields.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 04:11:27 pm by Iduno »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2021, 07:35:30 pm »

Just tried out the new version the other day. So far I'm liking the Monk and a bit meh on the Demonologist. Though I've only done the first few dungeons with each of them at this point. So we'll see how it goes.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5