Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Circadian Dice  (Read 10929 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Circadian Dice
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 08:42:05 pm »

I managed to die to an enemy who then died to my curse, which means I gained back a health from the curse blade. The game didn't end, but I can't do anything because of game over.

Just tried out the new version the other day. So far I'm liking the Monk and a bit meh on the Demonologist. Though I've only done the first few dungeons with each of them at this point. So we'll see how it goes.

So that's 2 for "monk worst" and one for "better than demonologist". I'm always surprised to see which characters I did which impressive things with, so our expectations of which characters we think we do well with aren't always accurate. Plus, I like that there can be a game with different opinions on the characters.

Edit: Playing in hard mode now that I've got 20+ stars with everyone. I have the windrider bow, and found out the damage done by the Mummy in Wave 2 of the undead mission takes *piercing* damage if you kill it with hearts. I used a 2 damage stunning and draining (onk's fist) face, so it takes 2 damage from healing, which procs the windrider bow. It's very unusual, but a fun way to clear that level.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:50:43 pm by Iduno »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 06:02:28 am »

The moonwood new mission seems to be very hard, as there are enemies you can't kill (even accidentally) (until they are transformed at night) as it will hurt your end score badly (-100 points each), very bad situation for the imps that target random enemies on screen when triggered. Managed to win this level but  ended score at -7 (i had a villager captured to boost the score but so many died to my imp) so it's not even recorded in my score (as the best current one is 0 :D )

It's not actually as bad as it sounds for people who deal controlled amounts of damage; my first serious 5* attempt ended up ~40 points short, and I forced three of them away via letting the villagers flee for no points.

Also, if you get that skill that lets you copy/paste all your critter slots, there's an easy 800 points right there.

Edit: 5*, Barbarian: Ring, Fist, Chest Plate, Owl's Quill.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:11:01 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 09:50:12 am »

Ran into something i didn't knew in the Sun Monastery level ( i was playing it in normal mode, my hard mode masochism has its limits :D )
It's at the wave that features the boss monster "Sunstone Guardian" (the guy that can't be hit at all during day) that is roughly 1 or 2 waves before the final boss of the Sun Monastery.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wonder if there's another of those hidden item to collect for the characters
edit : a quick look at the save files hint strongly at a "moonstone" item.
hmm

edit : i was right

edit 2 : i didn't noticed but a few days ago there was a new version , 2.01 mostly bugfixing  :
Code: [Select]
Version 2.0.1 is now live! Mostly bug fixes this time but window resizing is now also supported as per request :slight_smile:
Bug fixes:
- Demon form now correctly costs one blue gem and one red gem after reverting back from demon to human form.
- Blitz symbols are now correctly removed from the face copy after scoring a blitz+sun face with no attacks during the day.
- Effects from sun monument (and various other global enemy buffs) no longer affect the previews in the future waves display.
- Fixed a bug where a roaming Weird Apparition in rare circumstances could spawn on top of a Loot Gnome.
- Troll Queen is now included among the enemy previews for Moonwood on the scenario selection screen.
- The unlock popup for Haggler's Pipe now refers to the correct relic.
- The unlock popup for Bittermittens now shows the correct image.

Other changes:
- The game window can now be resized when playing in windowed mode.
- Health rewards are no longer generated between waves while Demon Form is active.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 10:22:23 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:04 pm »

Ran into something i didn't knew in the Sun Monastery level ( i was playing it in normal mode, my hard mode masochism has its limits :D )

From there it was sheer anxiety, because the last boss of Sun Monastery is super annoying broken (etheral 3 and has 9 in attack !) and destroyed so many of my attempts at this level that i feared i had all this luck up to now for nothing in the end.

Ahahaha....

Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 07:09:54 pm »

I unlocked all the characters finally and am trying to get some better items and also be better about not wasting actions (wasting skills by using them before/after dice have been selected...)

Status effects ruin me. Curse/disease especially, but petrify is rough too.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 03:49:57 am »

Status effect is an immense pain.
I usually buy faces in shops to replace the affected faces when i got too much of them ( the first item of the Ninja class , the "multivitamin" seems to be designed to help a lot with those problems, but in practice it only help very minorly, the shop seems to be a more efficient helper for that, though it needs gold, the item of the Demonologist, the "malunomicon" should help there as you get temporary gold when rolling an afflicted face)

The meditate ability that comes with the "angel touch" item (2nd item of the cleric) can also help, but it costs white gems
Ahahaha....

Now that you point to the hard mode version of that damned broken horrible boss, i just noticed that those special items aren't ported to hard mode if you got them in normal mode, it looks like you'll have to re-earn them for the hard mode too .
Too much self inflicted pain for me :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:01:29 am by Robsoie »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 07:02:12 am »

Ahahaha....

Now that you point to the hard mode version of that damned broken horrible boss, i just noticed that those special items aren't ported to hard mode if you got them in normal mode, it looks like you'll have to re-earn them for the hard mode too .
Too much self inflicted pain for me :D

The boss is actually... not agonizing on Ninja, Barbarian, or Demonologist. Ninja can punch right through the barrier with Shuriken and get extra turns with Smoke Bomb, Barbarians have higher base HP, full heals, and you should be packing axes, so you can shave it off as you kill the adds. Demonologist is actually surprisingly easy if you exploit Pet, Demonifesto, and Rift Stalkers. (I think I only took one turn of damage when I 5*HM'd it on her, but it did take like 7 turns.)
Spoiler: Rift Stalker Image (click to show/hide)
And if it's any consolation, the ones you get in HM aren't carried over to normal either, *shakes fist*.  :D

Edit: lol, curbstomped the boss of Nexus HM on turn 1 with a god-tier opening roll.
Spoiler: Just... wow. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:41:43 am by Aoi »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2021, 07:43:07 am »

Impressive roll and there's even 2 multipliers in the third face, as if it was not enough damage coming :D
I'll have to check that rift stalker thing, never thought of keeping those guys around  i always am pressing the imp assistant ability , i love those red gem damage so much.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 07:45:44 am by Robsoie »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2021, 08:19:43 am »

Thanks for the advice - I'll see what happens.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2021, 12:27:58 pm »

Impressive roll and there's even 2 multipliers in the third face, as if it was not enough damage coming :D
I'll have to check that rift stalker thing, never thought of keeping those guys around  i always am pressing the imp assistant ability , i love those red gem damage so much.

Yeah, it took me maybe an hour of trying to 5* Demonologist to realize the 'trick' to it, since, every other stage, you just want to full in your critter sockets, get an army of imps, and reroll until everything explodes.

Pet is actually obscenely powerful, because it has the critter attack and use both its abilities at once. For example, Goblin Wizard gives +1use to all abilities. Including itself, so you can use it to recharge all your other skills for RB. (To be honest, I'm not sure how sustainable it is, but it definitely gives a short term blast of power.) Vipers gives an extra attack symbol on ALL petrified die faces, the Ghost Ship final boss gives 20 extra points per Fear you have, and there might be a few other particularly interesting ones.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2021, 01:19:55 pm »

I unlocked all the characters finally and am trying to get some better items and also be better about not wasting actions (wasting skills by using them before/after dice have been selected...)

Status effects ruin me. Curse/disease especially, but petrify is rough too.

Yeah, status effects are real annoying. There is a snake enemy, however, who will petrify a random die face each time they attack. Everytime you capture one (even temporarily), all petrified faces on all dice gain a piercing attack symbol. I've been able to use that to quickly upgrade my dice without money, but you still have the faces petrified until you keep them. Still, scythes, traps, and any capture skills can combine nicely to give +2 or 3 attack on each petrified face.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:34 pm »

Managed 10+ hard mode stars on the first 4 characters by using Wind Bow and adding Onk's fist after the first mission. I've also managed to clear 4 different levels.

And pretty much zero else in hard mode. A combination of not being able to keep characters alive and not being able to kill enemies (which also means I take more hits, which probably feeds into the dying thing). Are there more enemies with shields than I remember, or what's going on?

The barbarian ability to add an attack to a face is extra nice because it will add another of whatever attack is already there, including axes and piercing. Having 3 axes on 2 different die faces made that last run just a bit easier. All I spent money on was an early 3 gold improved attack (piercing? axe? 2 attacks? who knows) with wild gem on the other die face, and then reverse alchemy that I picked up in the lore chest that gave me +1 charge on the add an attack to a die face. Not spending money means I had more die faces being spent on offense, which means I win.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2021, 06:43:42 pm »

You can compare normal to HM enemies by mouseovering the portraits when you pick a stage... A lot of them do have more shields, barriers, reduction, etc. that make them a serious pain.  Don't forget that magic attacks are inherently piercing, too.

It's usually worth spending money early on to buy die faces because it gives you XP that'll unlock your third and fourth die that much earlier (often a round earlier, for the 3rd). Once they're open though, whatever.

If you're trying for Barbarian HM, I recommend the Ring of Fellowship and Onk's Fist as your first two trinkets; I have 5* HM on all stages (that than campaign mode, which is a paaaaaain) courtesy of that duo.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2021, 06:57:10 pm »

Yeah, the elementalist's starting attacks are real helpful in hard mode. 5 damage to one enemy for 2 red, or 1 piercing and 2 freeze to disable strong enemies. I don't think most magic gets through shields, though. I think I remember liking that ring when I used it, but the extra shields in hard makes it seem less useful.

Edit: Looks like the secret to Sunken Ghost ship (you have 2 rounds to kill 4 enemies or similar each level) is the witch's knife. Curse an enemy, they heal you when they die, and then they pass on the curse. Axes are also good, and rampage really helps with barriers. Barbarian indeed best gal.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 09:54:38 am by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 02:35:21 pm »

I've gotten all of the character-based items, and only have a few hard mode items left.

A lot of the character items aren't great, including half of the hard-mode items. I'm sure they're all fine with the right enemies and powers and whatnot, but Onk's fist makes an attack 1 an attack 2 (enough to beat a shield) with stun and lifesteal, and the bow makes an attack 1 an attack 2 piercing, and does extra piercing damage when you kill an enemy exactly (fairly often, and can proc itself).

Horn of vengeance from Demonologist sounds useful when you get hit hard (bosses and shapeshifters, at least), which is when you want an extra bit of power. Likewise, the blood cloak from barbarian helps when you're close to dead, especially if you can pair it with lifesteal (double damage under 7 hp). Wand of Inspiration from elementalist is very random, but means you'll always have several skills. Probably going to end up rolling ones that require a gem type you don't produce though. I'm guessing the Necromancer's soulshatter staff would keep the Demonologist near full health if you're abusing sacrifices.

I also remember seeing something that gave a percent chance that sacrificed enemies would stay captured after giving you the sacrifice effect, but I can't find it. Maybe it was a rare item from a chest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5