Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: should i make a thread about some of the useful things i found out from playing  (Read 2711 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Local man claims existence of a "secret book conspiracy" among veteran readers to "hide all the best books in a large, inaccesible vault."

Later, it was revealed he had simply never heard of a Library.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Local man claims existence of a "secret book conspiracy" among veteran readers to "hide all the best books in a large, inaccesible vault."

it's not a conspiracy if sometimes that sort of thing exists.

such as in my fortress, all artifacts are put into a "vault" in the corner of the main tavern/dining room on a single pedestal behind a few statues to give vision and a door that is only unforbidden when adding to the hoard
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Please please please add that to the DF wiki's entry on libraries.  I laughed for a good couple of minutes.

are you SURE SURE there is no secret knowledge community veterans keep to themselves?
I can understand the confusion.  Older posts refer to HFS, Clowns, and Candy to avoid spoiling some surprises.  But nowadays, if you hear stuff like that, you'll probably get an answer in spoilers like below:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can also find out the day and year that other posters joined the forums by clicking on their name and viewing their profile.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

You can also find out the day and year that other posters joined the forums by clicking on their name and viewing their profile.

That can be misleading: When I first started playing, it took me several long real-world years to actually make a profile and start posting on here. And I know others are the same. Some of us lurk a LONG time before admitting we play as much as everyone else. Others join up to the forum years before actually diving in and playing the game, as the forum is a fun place to be.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

When I first started playing, it took me several long real-world years to actually make a profile and start posting on here. And I know others are the same. Some of us lurk a LONG time before admitting we play as much as everyone else.
Same here. Took me around 3-4 years of lurking (after 1-2 years playing) before finally making a profile.

Still waiting to learn all that secret community veteran knowledge...  :'(

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i hope i didn't spoil a lot of it in the thread i posted
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

That can be misleading: When I first started playing, it took me several long real-world years to actually make a profile and start posting on here. And I know others are the same. Some of us lurk a LONG time before admitting we play as much as everyone else. Others join up to the forum years before actually diving in and playing the game, as the forum is a fun place to be.

Indeed.  There is also Curses (home of LCS).  Plus various members go on one or more year vacations from the the boards.

Everything is ok.  Some people use the word SPOILERS, or put info in
tags, but it should be fine.  Honestly, I'm not even sure why the
is still spoiler-ed.  I think its the only thing really being kept secret.  If the wiki isn't actively trying to hide it, they you're probably helping by giving the info.  And still helping even if its SPOILER stuff by documenting it, just need the SPOILER tag.

I hope that made sense...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And SPOILERS is really a meme at this point. Wouldn't be much content out there if everyone used spoiler tags to discuss modding of candy, the circus, dark tower sites, goblin leaders, to describe goings on in Legends, or just generally make video playthroughs.

Imagine the devlog for Myth & Magic arc if Toady stuck to the "rules". 2-3 years of spoiler tags....

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

No worries, I was just trying to be silly.
Pages: 1 [2]