Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avoiding Flour  (Read 3191 times)

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Avoiding Flour
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:04:14 pm »

I'm trying to mill dimple dye but not any other plants.  I don't mind assigning a stockpile of plants to the millstone, but I use bags for storage and sand.  Can this be done with the manager?  I suppose I could just avoid growing wheat and sun pods, but I'd like to keep them for liquor.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:14:38 pm »

If you set up a stockpile that only accepts dimple cups, and tell it to give to the millstone, the millstone will only process dimple cups that have been put into that stockpile. It might be challenge to get the dimple cups moved to that stockpile, but if you don't allow dimple cups in your other stockpiles, new ones should get placed in your new dimple-cup-only stockpile eventually. And if other higher priority tasks don't take precedence, your dwarfs will eventually move the dimple cups to the correct stockpile. I think that should work whether you have bags set for the stockpile or not, but you might want to disable bags just because it takes longer to get things in and out of bags, particularly when multiple dwarfs try to get their task items in or out of the same bag.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 07:18:42 pm »

I thought dwarves couldn't mill dye without using a bag.  I also thought that once I assigned dimple cups to the stockpile, I also needed to assign the bags or the dwarves would cancel the job.

It used to work that way when making traction benches and not assigning rope and tables.  It's been a while since I tried though, perhaps dfhack has been updated with regards to this.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 07:21:08 pm by Mathalor »

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 11:23:09 pm »

No clue about DFhack, but yeah, they still want bags AND dimple cups to make dye, or alternatively bags and wheat for flour. You can assign a bag collection area to pick up the bags though, and that should work?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 11:31:09 pm »

You do need to link the empty bag stockpile.

Swap in "barrel" for "bag" in the DwarfStar's statement and it will make sense. Setting barrels on for your dimplecup stockpile can cause job cancellations.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 11:52:51 pm »

i simply don't mill at all unless im willing to tolerate some flour being made as a result. otherwise i brew everything first then mill the rest. i don't continuously farm but instead only turn on planting usually from spring to summer or summer to autumn; after, i disable farming for everyone with therapist.

you really dont want to use stockpile links for commonly used tools such as bags for instance. the constant hauling back and forth and linking to workshops that use bags is more fps loss and work than it's worth.

better to not have links or even stockpiles for bags and let them clutter in workshops and simply queue the task at appropriate times; well, unless you're OCD and completely fixated on the production of dyed cloth
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 01:59:26 am »

well, unless you're OCD and completely fixated on the production of dyed cloth

...so we dug down to cavern layer 2 in my most recent fort. The entire layer was nothing but webs. Webs as far as the eye could see. We now have 2000 silk threads in our storage areas and counting.... I can only buy so much green dye from the humans. I'm not OCD, and I'm not Mathalor, who started this thread, but I am trying to make a truly astronomical amount of dimple dye right now. Just to say I did.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 01:38:59 pm »

Make a stockpile for bags linked to the mill/quern but keep it small - where 'small' is relative to the workflow/hauling of the fort.  I tend to go for 4 tile ones but can imagine the need for one a bit bigger.  That way the mill works (mostly) and only a few bags are hauled to the bag stockpile.  Assuming the bag pile is pretty much next to the mill the extra overhead is minimal. (Having a massive overkill of bags is generally good for forts too  ;)).

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 02:05:44 pm »

...so we dug down to cavern layer 2 in my most recent fort. The entire layer was nothing but webs. Webs as far as the eye could see. We now have 2000 silk threads in our storage areas and counting.... I can only buy so much green dye from the humans. I'm not OCD, and I'm not Mathalor, who started this thread, but I am trying to make a truly astronomical amount of dimple dye right now. Just to say I did.
yes but did your really need all that dyed cloth right away?
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 02:42:03 pm »

i simply don't mill at all unless im willing to tolerate some flour being made as a result. otherwise i brew everything first then mill the rest. i don't continuously farm but instead only turn on planting usually from spring to summer or summer to autumn; after, i disable farming for everyone with therapist.

you really dont want to use stockpile links for commonly used tools such as bags for instance. the constant hauling back and forth and linking to workshops that use bags is more fps loss and work than it's worth.

better to not have links or even stockpiles for bags and let them clutter in workshops and simply queue the task at appropriate times; well, unless you're OCD and completely fixated on the production of dyed cloth

This is my experience.  Was wondering if there was some way around this.  Perhaps the job manager.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 04:59:24 pm »

This is my experience.  Was wondering if there was some way around this.  Perhaps the job manager.

nope, you're doing it the right way.

i would also suggest not having much dye production at all, only a trifle amount for flavor. the extra items to process and exist slows down the game and gives no functional difference over undyed cloth. plus, does anyone actually export dyed cloth items compared to better objects that could be exported? (i'm looking at you serrated green glass disc, and roasts)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 06:21:46 pm »

(i'm looking at you serrated green glass disc, and roasts)

The amount a caravan will pay for a 2 year old egg-flour-wine roast, in a barrel that used to contain lye, is truly impressive.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 06:51:34 pm »

More concerned with strong happy thoughts than I am with caravan trade.  I usually trade whatever I want to get rid of with extra trap components when I need more value.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:57:15 pm by Mathalor »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 08:06:42 pm »

The amount a caravan will pay for a 2 year old egg-flour-wine roast, in a barrel that used to contain lye, is truly impressive.

To be fair, that's not... entirely different from century eggs.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 04:00:45 pm »

To be fair, that's not... entirely different from century eggs.
...Yep. Also, your ikon seems terribly appropriate for this statement.
Pages: [1] 2