Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! on Campfires - the ultimate garbage disposal  (Read 1085 times)

crupette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
!!SCIENCE!! on Campfires - the ultimate garbage disposal
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:03:27 pm »

Inspired by the buggy nature that campfires appear to show, I decided to test their properties.
This testing was done using a clean copy of DF 0.47.05 with no DFHack or any other modification
A small world was generated for 125 years of history. 40 artifacts and plenty of necromancer towers.

I have split my results into three categories using a Q/A style format. The categories are:
Placement
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Movement
Interaction

In conclusion, campfires are impassable constructed floor tiles that ignore furniture placement and destroy any item thrown into them. It doesn't spread it's heat downwards into the floor, and shields all other creatures from harm with some kind of magic.

sanchezman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! on Campfires - the ultimate garbage disposal
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 02:40:06 pm »

Interesting research.  I have some follow-up questions:
If you place a campfire on the tile where a creature is already standing, is the creature able to move out of the fire?  What about if you jump/fall into the campfire yourself?

It is very cool that adventure mode has its own version of atom smashing.  I guess we could call campfires "thermal atomic disassemblers" or something.

crupette

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! on Campfires - the ultimate garbage disposal
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 03:44:23 pm »

Creatures behave like the player when they are over a campfire tile. If you or a creature find themselves in a campfire, you can move out of it normally, or the creature can path find out. They only become stuck if they are surrounded on all eight sides.
You can jump into a campfire by standing two tiles away and pressing j. if you pick the tile the campfire is on to jump, you move into it. Same for falling.

I guess they are like an atom smasher. I like to think of them as crematoriums