Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Invitation to Mafia Championship - Season 8  (Read 16563 times)

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
Re: Invitation to Mafia Championship - Season 8
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2021, 09:47:17 am »

My apologies, I guess I was mistaken. I'm not sure where I got the idea that partnering was a paid service, so I'll assume you're right about that.

I think the disadvantage of insular communities is exacerbated a little bit each year due to the design of the tournament. The current jury selects the jury for the next year, which selects the next year's jury, and so on. It's bound to become inbred and doesn't seem welcoming to new ideas. The fact that the selection process is private only serves to further isolate that group.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2021, 10:47:15 am »

Since I've been thinking about it, I can leave some thoughts I had about my play as well as some questions towards Magma/Urist.

@Magma:
I didn't read every post in G2, but you were the N1 kill and from what I heard you spent D1 copy-pasting posts from a previous champs winner right? Did the mafia nightkill you aware of the fact you were memeposting? Also, did your memeposts have actual consideration put into them? On a side note, soaking the mafia kill on N1 as a Vanilla Townie using copy-paste is fucking hilarious. I'm a fan of dumb gimmicks, but I'm not sure I would rate them highly in the long run.

Now, some criticisms I have about my play from future me:

1. Claiming PR unpressured might have been a misplay, especially as Doctor. First, if my town read of Levi was incorrect I would probably have handed them the game there. Second, if the MD (Okosan) wasn't alive still the POE would have been harder and less winnable. I may have been the N3 kill, but I also may have been able to utilize the Doctor PR more if I stayed quiet.

2. My actual scumhunting was below my standards. I didn't find any scum in my game, only players I felt I could trust. Because of this fact I was able to identify who scum most likely were. I would have always voted MWil23 and Chiken after seeing Jeekaka flip town (I made this clear in the spectator chat immediately after dying), but was not alive to do so. The important part is I had no strong reasons for why I suspected MWil23 and especially Chiken and overly relied on Okosan and Levi's own scumhunting to support me.

3. I didn't trust Holy and Jeekaka enough. I had a winning POE on D3, but my dislike of Holy/Jeekaka (even though I reconsidered voting MWil23 instead) made me ultimately not reconsider MWil23/Chiken. The end result didn't actually matter here since we had the days to spare, but I still made a final decision that made the game last an extra day. Having a winning flowchart is less valuable than just hitting the actual mafia in the first place. On review I would rate Jeekaka's play as better than Holy's, it was foolish to distrust Jeekaka more than Holy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 10:53:28 am by ToonyMan »

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2021, 11:32:58 am »

I did spend the entire day one copy-pasting the posts of the previous season's winner, from his first game where he was also killed as VT on night one. Nobody in the game was aware of what I was doing. I have no idea how I wasn't caught, considering there was a player from that game in my game. I don't think many people read my posts all too carefully. The highlight for me was when I accused Skunki (mafia) of doing something he didn't do in a post he didn't write, and he was just like "yeah sorry about that". I got my reads from random.org, but they turned out to be pretty good (2/3 scum were correct). I did put some consideration into the posts... I made sure my ISO was somewhat coherent, at least. I'm really glad I was killed N1 though because even with the random reads and copy-paste I was putting more work into the game than I wanted to. Searching peoples' ISOs for things I could respond to with the copypasta was rough.

I feel like trying to scum-read people you don't have meta on is a trap a lot of people fall for. Without knowing how someone behaves as mafia, and as town, it's really tough to say whether or not they're just one of those people who always look scummy no matter what. It's not a bad thing to focus solely on town-hunting - it's probably more accurate on foreign territory anyway. As long as you can get a winning PoE and stick to it, you're golden.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2021, 11:40:00 am »

OHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's why I'd heard the name "UristTheDevastator" before.

People in Anni DVC were talking about the post copying gimmick.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2021, 11:40:08 am »

I got my reads from random.org, but they turned out to be pretty good (2/3 scum were correct).
Hahahaha

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2021, 11:49:50 am »

1. Claiming PR unpressured might have been a misplay, especially as Doctor. First, if my town read of Levi was incorrect I would probably have handed them the game there. Second, if the MD (Okosan) wasn't alive still the POE would have been harder and less winnable. I may have been the N3 kill, but I also may have been able to utilize the Doctor PR more if I stayed quiet.

My opinion: Referring to one power role as Doctor and another one as MD is confusing, since in the United States the acronym MD stands for Medical Doctorate.
Example: Doctor ToonyMan, MD would be a correct and common way to describe a doctor.  You can see the confusion, I think?  ???

It would have been better all around to have referred to Okosan as the Scanner, Detector, or Stalker.

For me, the worst part is the lack of transparency. Not because I fear corruption

I, on the other hand, believe in the phrase "Secrecy breeds corruption", and also agree with your concerns of the inbred nature.  Or, as its called in the business world, Nepotism.  It tends to stagnate growth, as you mentioned.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2021, 09:28:55 am »

@Jack:
That's a good point. The MD confusion did make Lunatic (correctly) read as town which helped the PoE.

Oh right I might as well share my votes too.

I voted Levi, ZFR, Mwil23, and Okosan as my top four. After talking with Webadict I regret not voting Marl too, but I'm not sure who I would replace out. I thought Levi and Okosan were the best living town, while Vandy and ZFR were also good town but died early. MWil23 was definitely the strongest mafia out of the three, with few people suspecting him and also surviving the longest so I think that's a fair take. The big down fall of MWil23 was their association with Chiken which was only exacerbated by D3.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2021, 02:29:34 pm »

Hm, even more useless 2 cents incoming!

I voted Levi, ZFR, Mwil23, and Okosan as my top four. After talking with Webadict I regret not voting Marl too, but I'm not sure who I would replace out. I thought Levi and Okosan were the best living town, while Vandy and ZFR were also good town but died early. MWil23 was definitely the strongest mafia out of the three, with few people suspecting him and also surviving the longest so I think that's a fair take. The big down fall of MWil23 was their association with Chiken which was only exacerbated by D3.

1) You don't have to include a mafia player in your Top Four.  If MWil23 was only "Above Average" Mafia, and you saw four "Good" Town players, you could have them all be Town.  I only bring this up because MWil23 has some defeatist mafia play, which may have cost them the game.  Or maybe kept them in the game longer.  I dunno which way that played out.
2) Okosan did a good job, but remember they had a PR.  Would they still have been in the Top Four without the advantage of a PR?

Hope that helps!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2021, 02:43:46 pm »

1) The defeatist attitude worked though. I didn't want to vote MWil23 over Jeekaka when they said they would self hammer. Mango had self voted earlier and I can only think of town ever selfvoting in the games I have played. Beyond that MWil23 was townread by most players up until that point which is incredibly desirable as mafia.

2) Yes even if Okosan wasn't PR I felt really good about them after D1. I made it clear I didn't think they were mafia if Axol was mafia, and Axol was mafia so. On D2 and D3 it only made sense if Okosan was partners with Holy, but that became very unlikely with the claim. Although I was really liking Okosan's D3 posts before the claim anyway. The only thing I didn't like was them trying to unvote Chiken at the end of D4 out of paranoia.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]