Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Notable Games Archive: One More Time!  (Read 33624 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Notable Games Archive: One More Time!
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 02:30:17 pm »

You can't put me down by saying I'm not myself, although I will likely accept any multiplayer offer if I'm free and want to play.

I think it's just as fair to list reasons why a game isn't notable, or at least, reasons why a game could be a bad choice. Things such as awful play on both sides, awful play on one side, RNG determining a game, exploitative meta, or a setup that plays out the same.

To me, a notable game should have three certain characteristics:
1. High quality play overall. A game should showcase great skill among most players.
2. Closeness. A game should come down to a final, decisive moment where one side triumphs over the other.
3. Uniqueness. A game should be fresh, never before seen plays or metas, seldom seen outcomes.

Not every game is going to be like this, or be as notable in every way, but this is how I determine what is good in a game when it's over.

A lot of games here are very close, and do come down to the last day, but I don't think the steps that led to that point were very convincing. It wasn't two sides equally matched, but either town or mafia playing like complete ass and either lucking their way to victory or completely wasting their OPness. In the case of Super10 you had an overpowered incompetent town that managed to nag two braindead third-party roles while being completely sideswiped by a third third-party being converted. The only two players who played very well were Web and 4mask, the closeness was due to embarrassingly bad town play and reads, and this sort of Supernatural outcome has happened multiple times.

I might be biased, but Election definitely seems notable to me.
This was good, I agree. The only downside was Caz not being there at the end.

EDIT:
I really feel Limerick Mafia should be a notable game under the Vanilla or Classic setup category.

This game is old enough (2013/2014) so even though I'm a player in it I think it showcases everything a notable game should have.

A standard JK9++ setup that contained humorous limerick flavor, three vig claims (one from each alignment), deceptive mafia play, gambit town play, and a final climactic 3p lylo as a result.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:54:02 pm by ToonyMan »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 04:25:22 pm »

The description should be written as a limerick:

A standard JK9++ setup
With humorous flavorful getups
Three vigs, they all say,
and gambity plays,
And a 3p lylo that won't let up.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 04:31:43 pm »

I was going to do that, but I'm not poetic and wasn't feeling very clever.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 11:05:43 pm »

I think Bastard Paranormal 3 is a pretty strong contender for being notable. It's not exactly a game of mafia even if it starts as one, but it is indisputably something special and memorable.

First order of business is adding Wild West Mafia to the list, under classic setups?  Taking volunteers to write a good, brief description of the game.

A forum veteran executes a nigh spotless scum game while detailing his thought process in scum chat. The scum player's victory was so thorough and well-documented that the game earned a reputation as an excellent game to learn scum from.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2021, 02:57:18 am »

I think that's a pretty fair description, yes.  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 05:20:24 am »

I might be biased, but Election definitely seems notable to me.
I second that. The write-up can be:

An election game in which two town players had to successfully vote for the town candidate, while a scum voter had to push a vote for the scum candidate. The twist being, the scum voter didn't know who their candidate was, leading to a series of dramatic turns as various players came to realise that they had each been championing the wrong candidate.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 07:03:34 am »

I think Bastard Paranormal 3 is a pretty strong contender for being notable. It's not exactly a game of mafia even if it starts as one, but it is indisputably something special and memorable.
I would say yes, under Bastard games.

EDIT:
Surprisingly, there are no Supernatural games in the notable list so I suppose having at least one would be appropriate. As for which one? Hard to say. I have a personal favorite, but I know others like Toaster have a different one in mind.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:51:03 am by ToonyMan »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 08:33:20 am »

If I was going to nominate a Supernatural, it would probably be Supernatural 4. Supernatural 10 would definitely be towards the bottom of the list in terms of notability.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 09:34:52 am »

If I was going to nominate a Supernatural, it would probably be Supernatural 4. Supernatural 10 would definitely be towards the bottom of the list in terms of notability.
I agree. Supernatural 4 is iconic.

The Paranormal notable games are already a Leafsnail highlights reel though...

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2021, 10:02:12 am »

Supernatural 4 is notable for being won by two malicious third parties, when it's rare enough for just one to win.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 10:32:44 am »

Wild West Mafia - Added under classic setups.

Supernatural 10 - Will leave discussion open on this one for a bit longer

Election - Added under crazy closed setups (seemed like the best fit?)

Limerick Mafia - Waiting on additional commentary (description should totally be a limerick though)

Bastard Paranormal 3 - Waiting on additional commentary and short write-up

Supernatural 4 - Waiting on additional commentary and short write-up

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 03:36:07 pm »

Stickied.

Also, shouldn't Bastard Paranormal 2 be under Bastard games instead of normal?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 03:49:35 pm »

Stickied.

It should.

The description also isn't very... descriptive.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 05:13:34 pm »

I'd like to nominate Bastard Paranormal 3. Can't testify for the player experience, but watching Mephansteras behind the scenes, it was harrowing. It was a bastard game that turned into an RPG and the transformation was only possible because the host was brave enough to turn to face the players, and with every cell of their body, say "challenge accepted."

The premise was that exterminators were one of the fan-favorites from Meph's paranormal games, though this time the company double-crossed them and pitted them against one another. It was a fascinating set-up and mod using a weapons buying system. And the players (mostly, eventually) came together to oppose the company (and effectively, Mephansteras') designs, causing for the direction of the entire experience to turn on a dime.

It was a fascinating opportunity and bird's eye view for me, as far as my collaboration I got a bit too ambitious though even with with the post-game plans unfinished it stands as a cinematic triumph, and has inspired me to up my own game in response.

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2021, 08:32:31 am »

Stickied.

Moved.  I could maybe get around to giving it a better write-up but anyone feel free to do it first.
Pages: 1 [2] 3