Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Africa thread  (Read 3571 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Africa thread
« on: April 20, 2021, 11:12:23 am »

I thought there already was an Africa thread, but the search function on this forum is so complelety fucked up since the greatorder disorder that I will just make a new thread.

The president of Tsjaad, who ruled for 30 years, has been killed by rebel insurgents. His son has been installed as interim president.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:41:50 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Africa thread (new?)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:59:09 am »

In the finest tradition of white men in Africa I claimed the Misc. Politics Thread under the banner of AfriPol, but I don't mind having a true AfriPol thread!

I'm not familiar enough with the situation in Chad to really pass comment, but I can't imagine this'll be any good in the short term. It's not going to stabilise the region, that's for sure.

Article

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 04:25:46 am »

Britain and the US pulled their diplomats out of Chad a few days before his death, citing instability as the reason.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 03:09:34 am »

In the democratic republic of Congo, people are fleeing the city of Goma (2 million inhabitants) in a panic, because of the volcano Nyiragongo erupting 10km away from the city.
At first, the authorities had said there was no danger to the city, because the lava was flowing east, but after a second eruption took place, lava also started speeding south towards Goma. It has already reached the Airport of Goma. Most of the city is without electrical power as well. Refugees are fleeing towards the border with Rwanda.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/inwoners-vluchten-in-paniek-weg-uit-goma-na-vulkaanuitbarsting-in-oost-congo~b97c949e/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:15:56 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Africa thread
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 04:21:06 am »

The lava stream towards the city seems to have stopped, barely before reaching the airport.
People are moving back to the city, even though it's unclear if no further eruptions will follow.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:25:12 am »

There´s a very clear answer to the Nyiragongo crisis: sacrifice ArchimedesWojak to appease the volcano god
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 02:56:03 am »

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/5/24/military-arrest-malis-president-pm-following-govt-reshuffle
Mali had another military coup the other day. The last one was about nine months ago. It seems as one ”transitional” president has been replaced by another, possibly because the last one was on the way of actually transitioning Mali, or otherwise cut off ”too much” of the military’s power.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 02:58:07 am »

There´s a very clear answer to the Mali crisis: sacrifice ArchimedesWojak to appease the volcano god
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 03:00:08 am »

You can't do that, volcanoes have feelings too, you know.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 04:13:04 pm »

PTW
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 08:30:56 pm »

PTSAWTATVG

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 11:16:55 am »

PTW, something about African politics interests me.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 04:39:57 pm »

The Ogoni got a settlement from the courts.

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/8/16/headlines/shell_to_pay_111_million_for_oil_spills_in_nigeria_in_1970s
Quote from: Contents of the 3 sentence news article
In southern Nigeria, Royal Dutch Shell has agreed to pay $111 million to Ogoni communities whose land was ravaged by oil spills over a half-century ago. Shell’s payment caps decades of legal wrangling in a case that was first brought in 1991 — over a pipeline that ruptured in 1970. The $111 million penalty is just a small fraction of Shell’s annual profits, which totaled $16.5 billion in 2019.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 04:45:19 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if 30 years of fighting the suit cost Shell more than that.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 05:20:02 pm »

Yeah, 111 million is... well, not completely nothing, but too little, too late. Quite a few of the claimants that lost livelihood or fell ill from toxic spills have already passed away while the lawsuit dragged on.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4