Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Africa thread  (Read 3744 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Africa thread
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 08:42:59 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if 30 years of fighting the suit cost Shell more than that.
Perhaps, but they're probably thinking the cost of allowing a precedent to be set that would speed up the claims of other peoples affected by their oil spill would be worth the cost of delaying a sentence by half a century

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2023, 08:13:18 pm »

Last week, a military coup happened in Niger. The democratically elected president is being held captive (he seems to be treated well enough though).
Anti-western sentiments are rising, western countries have evacuated and are evacuating their countrymen.
Wagner and Russia have shown vocal support for the coup.

Today, ECOWAS countries are talking about plans for a joint military intervention, if two days from now their ultimatum to the military junta to cease their coup and restore democratic power expires.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2023, 02:54:04 am »

Afaik, Mali and Burkina Faso have also expressed their support for the coup. And Mali already work with the Wagner group since they had the French military leave, and their own military isn't sufficient to deal with the islamists in sahel (and that event was related to Mali's last coup? Iirc).

This could become more of a mess.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2023, 05:33:20 am »

"The July August Crisis began because of some damned foolish thing in the Balkans Sahel."
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2023, 09:51:14 pm »

PTW.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2023, 04:59:13 am »

The ultimatum expired. Niger has closed down it's airspace out of fear for being invaded by ECOWAS forces

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2023, 09:27:47 am »

inb4 Wagner free mercenary state in the sahel

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2023, 01:22:31 pm »

For now, no ECOWAS military expedition. Coming thursday, the ECOWAS leaders will speak again on the matter. Military intervention is explicitly still not excluded as an option.
What complicates matters is that Burkina Faso an Mali have said that they will consider an ECOWAS intervention in Niger as a declaration of war against their countries as well (both countries have a government that also came to power through military coup).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 01:24:46 pm by martinuzz »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2023, 03:03:11 pm »

inb4 Wagner free mercenary state in the sahel
Vassalise them, you get free mercenaries for life if you do that.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 04:27:14 pm »

There reeeeeally won't be any sort of military intervention, and to be honest with you I think the amount of volume with it is mostly politicking on the part of Tinubu and the junta leaders.

Just getting to Niger is an essentially impossible task thanks to its very remote, VERY Sahelan location for every single member of ECOWAS aside from Benin (not exactly a military power) and Nigeria, operating within Niger is an even more impossible task (even Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger themselves have consistently struggled to operate within the Sahelan and Saharan terrain, let alone countries that either don't have that sort of terrain at all or have only corners of it), and Nigeria's military and political situation is such that it's in no state to go pulling an invasion itself. Tinubu, the recent president, has to deal with a load of political instability because of contestation over his election, and invading Niger would piss off many of the exact people he's seeing contestation from. Not only that, but the Nigerian military is run ragged through years and years of combat with Boko Haram and several other local conflicts in Nigeria, and they really can't just be pulling all their stakes up from their complicated checkpoint systems and deployments in Nigeria to pull an invasion out of their hat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2023, 06:27:05 am »

Vassalise them, you get free mercenaries for life if you do that.
Putin forgetting the merc meta can backfire if you fail an imprison plot and they press claim for your highest title

There reeeeeally won't be any sort of military intervention, and to be honest with you I think the amount of volume with it is mostly politicking on the part of Tinubu and the junta leaders.

Just getting to Niger is an essentially impossible task thanks to its very remote, VERY Sahelan location for every single member of ECOWAS aside from Benin (not exactly a military power) and Nigeria, operating within Niger is an even more impossible task (even Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger themselves have consistently struggled to operate within the Sahelan and Saharan terrain, let alone countries that either don't have that sort of terrain at all or have only corners of it), and Nigeria's military and political situation is such that it's in no state to go pulling an invasion itself. Tinubu, the recent president, has to deal with a load of political instability because of contestation over his election, and invading Niger would piss off many of the exact people he's seeing contestation from. Not only that, but the Nigerian military is run ragged through years and years of combat with Boko Haram and several other local conflicts in Nigeria, and they really can't just be pulling all their stakes up from their complicated checkpoint systems and deployments in Nigeria to pull an invasion out of their hat.
You're spot on. Much of Nigeria's armoured fleet is in a dubious state from ill maintenance and corruption. But that doesn't mean ECOWAS won't try something, and I wouldn't rule out seeing convoys of light cars and light artillery bussing around loads of infantry like the Toyota War or air dropped troops taking over key sites like the Rwandans in the Second Congo War, especially since even a poorly maintained air force is still an air force, and Nigeria has one whilst Niger does not (besides some token frames). Also if (or when) foreign trainers & contractors get involved, you can start seeing "capability gaps" getting plugged really quick. So... We'll see

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2023, 05:13:07 am »

Wagner may be redeploying some portion of it's forces to Libya (which borders Niger)

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-august-8-2023
(last section)

It could be disinformation of course, but it seems a likely result rather than sitting in Belarus.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2023, 01:53:33 pm »

ECOWAS is activating its standby forces to restore constitutional order in Niger.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2023, 02:06:18 pm »

Oh boy, is this posturing or is Niger about to become a warzone?

Honestly it's for the best they nip this in the bud now. If they leave the coupers alone then the other ECOWAS member countries will have any would-be dictators realise there's no need to worry about the consequences of throwing a coup. Doesn't mean I'm going to revel in what'll happen if this turns ugly.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4