Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farmcombine - Quick surface fort showcase  (Read 1468 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farmcombine - Quick surface fort showcase
« on: May 01, 2021, 07:46:40 pm »

I had a bunch of things I still wanted to do with this fort, but it's been crashing regularly sooooo... thought I'd share progress...

Farmcombine

A surface fort in the forest. Population: 228.

The Inky Supper (grey roof, microcline walls) is our tavern and dining hall. It has fine pewter tables and bronze chairs, which keeps our way-too-many foreigners from stealing the furniture. It also serves as the entrance to the underground, which can be accessed via it's basement (which is also where you will find the forges and masonworks)

The Oak of Ages (green roof, granite walls) is our church. Doesn't really do much, but it has 6 floors for different gods. It has an attached pet cemetery: our dwarves are entombed in stone deep beneath the Inky Supper.

The Canyon of Jumping (green & yellow building with avocado wood roof) is the Grand Guildhall of The Sunny Guild, our farmers guild, as well as the home for all our industries. Plant, meat, drink, textile, soap, crafts, etc: they all happen in this building. This is also where we keep the egg layers: in this case, giant Tortoises. Turkeys are for chumps.

Our dwarves live in the two square apartment towers (gabbro walls). Their apartments are small, but with electrum chests and fine pewter cabinets they are well-appointed enough to keep everyone happy.

And finally, the royal palace, still under construction. I'd planned to finish it before posting the screenshots, but like I said, crashes. The plan is to make the outer palace walls entirely out of silver with a jet trim, and furnish the interior in royal blue kimberlite and gold. That's going to take a while, though. When complete it would include a library, a grand dining hall and the royal apartments. (Currently, we've stashed the royals in the Inky Supper's attic).

Our militia fights off our enemies face-to-face with dwarven steel because we never got around to finishing the trap corridors. In addition to a fully stocked militia, we also have non-combatant armour and a self-defense program (everyone trains two months a year), so our dwarves can fight back in a pinch. We have the ability to shut ourselves in, but we've never had to.

The other project I never got around to was terraforming it into farmland by flooding the surface, chopping loads of trees, and building massive rows of farm plots. I guess it's fine as is. I still kind of like the idea, though.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farmcombine - Quick surface fort showcase
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:31:42 pm »

I greatly enjoyed this! I particularly liked the green-roofed building, with the small cupola looking out over the village. I have a thing for walled bases and I really enjoy the non-standard symmetry with which you've constructed the outer layer. In fact, the more I look at it the more I'm convinced trying to replicate it would drive me insane.

Makes you think forward to the UI update and what I've heard about click-dragging, auto material select, etc.. I think castle fortresses will become much less rare after the construction process is given an overhaul.

An old fortress I built on top of a canyon, which yours has reminded me of:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farmcombine - Quick surface fort showcase
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 05:35:18 pm »

Very nice fort!