Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Games that were only made once and never replicated  (Read 10170 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Games that were only made once and never replicated
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2021, 06:17:16 am »

I didn't play much Shadow President but I remember being told to keep an eye on France in that one. I can't remember what they did but I remember thinking it was funny. I think they started nuclear war over something seemingly random. I imagine it had something to do with colonie but I don't know how that game works. I agree though, that is one that could be remade with a new UI and still be cool.

EDIT: I also liked how Beyond Protocol tracked the repurcussions of what your character did depending on how you played the game. It did the usual storyline stuff but also when the game ended it gave you stats like how many children you orphaned because you were a super violent secret agent who went in guns blazing instead of taking a stealthy route past army guys or street criminals. Some of those nameless mooks had families and you got debriefed on it at the end of the game.

Then you got more points so you could build a super stealthy awesome charisma agent to ace the missions the next time  :P

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 06:26:57 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2021, 07:36:00 am »

I think you mean Alpha Protocol, because that definitely was a stat that I for some reason just found absolutely hilarious in a dark way.

That game could really have used a better gameplay system. Always felt so stiff when you were playing anything except dialogue imo.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2021, 09:07:55 am »

I didn't play much Shadow President but I remember being told to keep an eye on France in that one. I can't remember what they did but I remember thinking it was funny. I think they started nuclear war over something seemingly random. I imagine it had something to do with colonie but I don't know how that game works. I agree though, that is one that could be remade with a new UI and still be cool.
France starts off as powerful enough to seek to break off from other political blocs and form its own. This means it's a thorn in your side from day one, will go out of its own way to stamp on your interests, and reserves the right to drop nuclear weapons on you at any moment.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2021, 09:30:04 am »

France starts off as powerful enough to seek to break off from other political blocs and form its own. This means it's a thorn in your side from day one, will go out of its own way to stamp on your interests, and reserves the right to drop nuclear weapons on you at any moment.
It's a fairly accurate depiction of France in the late 90s early 00s, except the dropping nukes part.  That last part was wrong, as France is purely a supplier of nukes, not a user.

EDIT: And before I get attacked on this, let me define France as the IKEA of Nuclear weapons.  They don't sell complete nukes, just all the stuff you need to make your own.  They're like your local head shop: They got the growers, the lamps, the bongs, everything except the actual hemp seeds.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2021, 09:39:01 am »

I must agree with some before : SimEarth.
Not ever a game has tried to do "this" after.
There's actually been simearth type attempts since, for what it's worth, at least one even fairly recently -- again, memory is failing me as to title, but Nookrium did a vid on it not that long ago. Pretty sure I vaguely remember one or two flash games doing roughly the same thing, too.

Folks really seem to underestimate just how much stuff flies out of game devs over time, heh. 'Cause, like, there's a lot, at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 09:41:12 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:25 am »

Well, people make art and people make crap, ergo...

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2021, 09:58:17 am »

I must agree with some before : SimEarth.
Not ever a game has tried to do "this" after.
There's actually been simearth type attempts since, for what it's worth, at least one even fairly recently -- again, memory is failing me as to title, but Nookrium did a vid on it not that long ago. Pretty sure I vaguely remember one or two flash games doing roughly the same thing, too.

Folks really seem to underestimate just how much stuff flies out of game devs over time, heh. 'Cause, like, there's a lot, at the end of the day.

Thanks i've found it. Soter. But well...it has nothing to do with sim earth...

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2021, 11:27:53 am »

Well...actually I remembered a good one.

Black and White

No game really has replicated it or/and made it but better. I loved controlling a giant god-like animal and choosing between evil/good with god powers. God games in general are rare, but this as far as I know is one of a kind game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2021, 11:33:46 am »

This thread seems to hold a lot of experimental RTS games, almost as if making something niche in an already niche genre isn't the best business idea XD

I've got some more stuff to throw onto the pile too.

First off Battle Realms, fairly old (2003ish IIRC) RTS with a fantastical asian setting of sorts, what it did uniquely was incorporate the themes from the setting into the gameplay.
So you start with your basic peasant unit, it builds buildings, key one being the peasant hut which pumps out peasants at a slowly decreasing rate up to your pop cap. They also gather your two basic resources, water and rice, water is infinite, rice regenerates slowly (can be sped up by watering it). Where it gets real funky is how you get almost every other unit, each of the factions has several training structures, the basic good guys have a dojo for example, you send your peasant there to train, and for a small fee and time investment you get a speardude, you then say, send your speardude into the alchemist hut to train, and out pops a kabuki warrior, which is a sort of support melee fighter that has some nice cc abilities. Pass the dude trough an archery range and you get the final tier samurai, which are tough and good at both range and melee combat. There's also stamina that depletes when fighting or moving fast so managing that is very important. You then have the third advanced resource, depending on the faction combat gets you Yin/Yang points which are used to purchase upgrades or hero units. You can also kit out most units with extra gear, for example taking your basic archer dude trough a fireworks factory gets him fire arrows, which set things on fire (did I mention you can set both buildings and rice fields on fire? because you can). Oh there's also horses scattered around the map, which your peasants can tame and you can then use them for various things, depending on the faction. Either boosting your peasant carrying capacity, mounting warriors on them to make them faster and harder to kill to simply feeding them to your wolf den so your beastmasters can have pets.
Really, the amount of shit going on in this game is pretty damn amazing, especially once you consider how old it is. Its biggest failing seems to be that it came out around the time of WC3 which kinda meant it was overshadowed by that titan of the RTS genre.

I had a few other things on my mind but seeing as this post took like a week to write up properly for various reasons, they kinda slipped my mind :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2021, 04:00:35 pm »

Deathrow

Futuristic sport combat game, was pretty impressive for what they made, very sad that no sequel or reboot is coming.

I guess Bloodbowl is similar in that it's a ball game with violence, but Deathrow was pretty fun that you could win by scoring, or by knocking out the enemy team. Just the sport side of it was pretty cool and the funky arenas.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2021, 09:59:00 pm »

Deathrow

Futuristic sport combat game, was pretty impressive for what they made, very sad that no sequel or reboot is coming.

I guess Bloodbowl is similar in that it's a ball game with violence, but Deathrow was pretty fun that you could win by scoring, or by knocking out the enemy team. Just the sport side of it was pretty cool and the funky arenas.
And now you've reminded me of how I still look back fondly on Crush! Deluxe. I've liked Blood Bowl, in real life and on PC, but I think C!D was better.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2021, 12:07:42 am »

There was also Mutant League Football, which has been officiously remade as Mutant Football League.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2021, 02:35:22 am »

Deathrow

Deathrow sounds like a remake of  the Amiga game Speedball  of 1988

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2021, 12:08:11 pm »

Mechanized assault and exploration. (M.A.X.)

Instead of RTS, this game had a simultaneous turn  based system that allowed for much more strategy. Supply lines, radar and stealth, a very simple yet very flexible upgrade system for units.. The fact that you had to use connectors to power up your base also allowed for some nice strategies. This game had it all.

And yet, it was never repeated. Even the official sequel (MAX 2) moved to RTS instead and was a failure. (There still was a turn based mode but it was horribly broken and stripped of all the interesting stuff). I think no other games have tried to copy the concept. I would pay good money for a true remake.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 12:22:43 pm by Bralbaard »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2021, 08:48:01 am »

A lot of these games were interesting concepts that sound cool but didn't really work as games so much.

Sim earth: Yeah it was fun for a bit watching stuff happen, and causing disasters, but what was the actual game? As I recall, it was a lot of watching stuff happen and not much controlling stuff. 

Black and White: Really cool concept, fun playing a god and training your creature, but the game was more of a proof of concept than a game. There were what, 5 stages?  And the strategy was practically nonexistent. The game played like a tutorial for a bigger game that didn't exist. Also the AI was wildly overblown, typical molyneux...

Homeworld: the idea of getting to keep your fleet sounds cool, but think about it, when is the best time to gather resources and build stuff? After the fighting is over. So enjoy sitting in cleared levels mining and building a fleet I guess.  The hidden "balancing" in the background penalizing you for doing this ends up defeating the purpose of this anyway.  Full 3d RTS is a cool concept but outrageously clunky in practice.

Alpha Protocol: This was such a cool branching story wrapped up in such a mediocre FPS.  Nothing unworkable in this necessarily but the amount of voice acting and writing makes for an expensive game to produce, and you need some kind of gameplay to move between the story beats, and ideally allow the player to experience consequences of their decisions.  Alpha protocol tried and the story and dialog are pretty cool. The gameplay is serviceable, if you're feeling generous.  Story was so good i played through three times anyway. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8