Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Goblin Arrows...  (Read 12312 times)

Jazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Arrows...
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

I was wondering if there was any particular strategy of finding and killing Goblins with bows/crossbows with a melee adventurer. It seems that my number one cause of death is being shot dead by one of these buggers.

I've tried taking refuge behind trees or walls while attempting to advance on the attacker, but it seems that they are always one or two levels above me and out of my field of vision.

Any thoughts, or do I just need to stop playing Axedwarves if I'm going to do a solo raid on a Goblin fortress?    :roll:

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Jazz ]

he Spicy Shrine.
Fellowship of Lunches?
Humans who worship food?
We need more DF religion in real life.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Arrows...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 09:31:00 am »

If you lie down and stick to the ramps, they won't be able to see you until they're right next to you.

Otherwise, being far away and hurling swords seems to have been my most effective tactic so far.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

Hi!

Well, I have had very good experience with a human swordfighter who can use shields (read: very profecient shield users). Most arrows blocked, and the few that got through failed to penetrate the plate mail armor.

However, I did train well before going for the goblins, first killing lots of minotaurs and the like, as well as a few fishing trips.

Deathworks

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:05:00 am »

Suggestion: High ambusher skill, sneak up to them and stab them in the head with a sword.  Throwing swords or pretty much anything while sneaking is pretty effective too.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

Start with at least Talented in shield using. And find a proper shield if you start with a buckler. Don't forget to get as agile as possible (strength won't help much, toughness will, but less). You should stand a fair chance.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Jazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

I'll have to try increased shield proficiency. Under most circumstances, I have not been setting it as high as my weapon and armor proficiency. Will experiment with ambushing. That in itself may work without having to put all that many points in it. Also sounds like it would be the more satisfying of the options. Sneak up behind the goblin and... *SHANK*

Thanks for the tips.

he Spicy Shrine.
Fellowship of Lunches?
Humans who worship food?

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

Sneak EVERYWHERE.

Also, yes, wearing 2 shields and having a high shield skill, but also high wrestling skill and being very agile, dodging them is nearly as important as blocking them.

But my method seems to have a nearly 90% success rate against ranged units:

Sneak around, if you see 2 of them:  move on.

If you see one, just go up to him and grab his bow and steal it or gouge out his eyes or break one of his arms.  Hacking away with a weapon doesn't always work, you occasionally will harmlessly hack into a foot or leg and he'll keep firing.

The key seems to be debilitating the arm holding the weapon or taking it from them, THEN having your way with them.

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

What Valcon said is pretty much it if you want to have a 100% success rate.

If you're like me and impatient, do this (but make sure you are sufficiently high level first :P):

Wander around the goblin fortress in big, bright, pink clothing.
Wait for goblin to shoot you and hopefully have the arrow drop somewhere nearby or get embedded in your body.
Grab arrow and throw back at goblin, making him go kaboom.

Of course... this bears the risk of the arrow punching through your heart, brain, and both lungs at once but hey... what's an internal organ or two when you get to save a few minutes of searching?

Jazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 02:37:00 pm »

Well, I'm going to try the ambush and disarm method. I'll let you all know it goes.   ;)
he Spicy Shrine.
Fellowship of Lunches?
Humans who worship food?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

I've always wondered wether you could be hit by an arrow if you were laying on the ground.

Anyway, my method is : kill one archer by throwing stuff at him while sneaking, then grab his bow and quiver.
When you see another one, sneak again, come closer, and shot him dead.
Then take your melee weapon and finish the other ones.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Of course... this bears the risk of the arrow punching through your heart, brain, and both lungs at once but hey... what's an internal organ or two when you get to save a few minutes of searching?</STRONG>

I've killed an archer after he mortally wounded me.  Consider it "making the world safe for later adventurers"

Jazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

So, after creating a character adept at sneaking, I met absolutely no Goblins with ranged weaponry on my way into their fortress, go figure. Though I did pass all kinds of Goblin drunks and priests (fun combo) in mortal combat with antmen and mole dogs.

However, I did manage to sneak into a building undetected by strangling the guard sleeping near the entrance. Unfortunately, the success was short-lived, as I was soon incinerated by a demon residing in the floor below. My Axedwarf wasn't ninja enough to sneak past him, hehe...

he Spicy Shrine.
Fellowship of Lunches?
Humans who worship food?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

You know... this reminds me of this one time when I jumped inside a Goblin Fortress.

What happened was when I spawned out, I just started pressing "." repeatedly to see if there was anyone there to bother searching. Then I saw a pack of moledogs and trogdolytes run right past me like:

code:

..m.m.T..m
.m.@.m.m.mm
..T...m.m..m

Without attacking me. I wasn't sneaking mind you, they just wooshed by like racing cars. I continued to press "." then I saw one goblin maceman run past me after the animals in the same manner.

I can imagine my adventurer scratching his head at just what happened when the opposite happened again.

This time the goblin maceman ran right past me in the opposite direction followed by a a herd of hippos.

It was quite interesting...

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

I like to kill ranged goblins in their sleep, take their arrows and begin throwing them at people.

God, that was such an epic adventurer.  :(

Jazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>Then I saw a pack of moledogs and trogdolytes run right past me like:

code:

..m.m.T..m
.m.@.m.m.mm
..T...m.m..m

Without attacking me. I wasn't sneaking mind you, they just wooshed by like racing cars. I continued to press "." then I saw one goblin maceman run past me after the animals in the same manner.</STRONG>

Similar thing happened to me while I was throwing rocks at a goblin while sneaking. A mole dog walked by and the goblin, who otherwise didn't move while his internal organs were being knocked out, went off and chased the mole dog.

I was discovered moments later and the same goblin continued to ignore me in favor of the mole dog while I hacked him apart with my axe. Something tells me that the current adventure code doesn't allow an enemy to change their target until the target is inaccessible or dead, even if a different enemy is more threatening to them.

he Spicy Shrine.
Fellowship of Lunches?
Humans who worship food?
Pages: [1] 2