Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56

Author Topic: Ventures By Moonlight | A Semi-Cooperative Dark Fantasy | Always Recruiting  (Read 32098 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Ventures by Moonlight
(A Risky Venture into the Deepest Dark)

Evil wings in ether beating;
Vultures at the spirit eating;
Things unseen forever fleeting
Black against the leering sky.
Ghastly shades of bygone gladness,
Clawing fiends of future sadness,
Mingle in a cloud of madness
Ever on the soul to lie.

It is a cold and bitter truth that there is no Golden Age that is not a prelude to some period of relative darkness and bleak decay. For decades our Country has enjoyed the fruits of a renaissance of science, thaumaturgy, medicine, and alchemic discipline. By clockwork we mechanized and cultivated endless fields, by alchemic explosive we cleared the impassible, by thaumaturgical mastery we made the most infertile ground into new Edens, and by the advances of medicine we biocrafted a new caste citizenry to enjoy all the fruits of our great labors.

Perhaps there is some truth to the rumors of the Church, that apocalypse came upon us because we surrounded idle hands with plenty and allowed them to poke too far into the edges of the unknown. Perhaps we brought the turn of the era upon ourselves, but the blame of it matters very little. What is important is that our Golden Age ended, not with the quiet rot of corruption and complacency that history taught us would be the end of an era of plenty. It ended under a lambent moon, in a single flash of corrupted moonlight.

We do not know why it happened. A disease contracted by the merest touch of the light. An infection of body, mind, and soul. A plague of whispers and promises within the mind, promising everything while taking humanity, mutating flesh, and robbing the mind of all sanity. Tens of thousands died, either succumbing completely to the sickness brought on by the pale light or torn apart by the monsters born in its wake. The crystal minds of our most advanced automata either shattered or took on the moon's corrupting glow as their own - taking a frightening, unbounded, and wholly wicked intelligence in the process. Corrupt machine and monster both carried the Moon's corruption like a disease, spreading it to all those they touched, regardless of the light.

Great cities became monstrous tombs, sprawling fields grew to fruit and rotted, and a kingdom once governed by progress and erudition fell to madness, fear, and superstition. Conclaves of survivors formed in places where the light could never touch, carving new civilizations out of old mines or outlying townships with windows boarded and every chink filled with mud and plaster.

Years have passed since the initial event, but the Moon's corrupted light does not wane. What civilization has re-established itself keeps to the edges of the old empire, a loose network of allied survivor camps not even fit to be called a shadow of its former glory. Still, it has been enough for some progress to be made, and for some sense of normality to be reestablished.

You are a practitioner of medicine and the arcane, not a combatant yourself, but of reasonable means and of keen mind. Through trial, error, and no small amount of macabre experimentation, you've managed to produce a single dose of a Moonlight Inoculation that will cure any individual suffering the earliest stages of moon sickness and immunize them permanently in the process - turning them into a meta-human commonly referred to as a Hunter. While this robs the subject of most of their memories, it is preferable to death, and it allows you to give them a new purpose.

The behavior of those afflicted by the Moon's curse is not random. They gather and congregate, they perform strange rituals in dark places or at the height of the Lunar hour, and where there is a pattern there is something to be learned. Perhaps a better cure can be devised, an immunization that does not steal memories or require the imbiber to already be afflicted by the pale light's contagion. Every Golden Age is prelude to a coming darkness, this is true, yet it is also true that every dark age is a prelude to a new Dawn. Perhaps you can find a way to light the road between now and that brighter future, but at the very least you can make yourself rich off the bones of the glories past.

For now, your best bet is to mount an expedition to the outlying town of Darremont's Bell. While completely overtaken by corruption, it's relatively small and inhabited primarily by the weakest forms of the Moon-touched monsters. It should be good for supplies and potentially a clue as to how to proceed forwards.

What is this: This is a Risky Venture style game. You start with 3 Sovereigns (₹) and an Experimental Moonlight Inoculation. (You can copy the 'Starter Items' spoiler below and rename as necessary) Your job is to create Hunters (by using Inoculations on Candidates) and then outfit those Hunters to go on Expeditions to various locations.

This game is Lazy Fair*, which here means that I'm going to be extremely lazy. I expect you to manage your own assets and keep them up to date. While I will provide you with the results of various actions and arbitrate disputes, it is my goal to do as little as possible. This is both to avoid burnout and to let you guys go a bit nuts with how you interact.

To facilitate this, please tag @ACTACTACT any time you want to take an action you want me to pay attention to. If you don't use the tag, and I miss your actions for the turn, it's your own fault.

*This term coined by Nuke, God Bless Him.

Addendum: For those interested, there is a sub-channel for this game in the Risky Ventures discord located here: https://discord.gg/AMzCWgPkWt

Spoiler: Starter Items (click to show/hide)
Game Mechanics

Spoiler: Explanation of Stats (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Store (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Expedition Formatting (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 06:00:44 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ventures By Moonlight | A Semi-Cooperative Dark Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 06:46:18 pm »

The Beastiary
Spoiler: Beastiary (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:38:20 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 06:46:51 pm »

Debuff Index
Spoiler: Debuff Index (click to show/hide)

Turn 0

The journey begins here and now. Church surgeons, thuamaturges, antiquarians, alchemists, artifabrians, all gathered in the Survivor's capital, all ready to begin haggling over the business of flesh and purchasing the first of the bodies that will become the first of a new generation of Holy Hunters to explore and take back the Moon corrupted lands.

Spoiler: Available Expeditions (click to show/hide)

The Store
Spoiler: Inoculation Candidates (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Melee Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ranged Weapons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Equipment (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:40:24 am by Draignean »
---

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 12:58:26 pm by evictedSaint »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:29:48 pm »

I'm in!

3 bucks on F858.
Wanna form a noble order and buy him a serrated axe with me?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:36:30 pm »

Spoiler: Digger's stuff (click to show/hide)
@ACTACTACT 3 bucks on Candidate E133 Good stats all around. Though I will need someone else's help in order to equip them if they don't start with equipment.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:56:14 am by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 07:37:02 pm »

I'm in!

3 bucks on F858.
Wanna form a noble order and buy him a serrated axe with me?

Sure! You, me, and Fox can be the Noble Order of the Crab!

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 07:38:15 pm »

Present.

Also I move our group is labeled the Noble Consolidated Order of Crab, Owl, and Fox
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:40:14 pm by TheFantasticMsFox »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 07:42:09 pm »

Present.

Also I move our group is labeled the Noble Consolidated Order of Crab, Owl, and Fox
Can I join your Noble Order as well? I put a Bid on a guy before realizing I lack the money to both bid for them and outfit them with any kind of gear. They look to be a good candidate for ranged combat who could back up the probably melee focused F858.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:46:24 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:13 pm »

Present.

I second this motion.

Do we want to keep it small or amass more members and start bidding on a second Hunter?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 07:50:04 pm »

Present.

I second this motion.

Do we want to keep it small or amass more members and start bidding on a second Hunter?

Thirded.

I think three doctors is plenty - I'm sure the other players will consolidate nicely.  Plenty who want to work with dgr.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 07:52:56 pm »

I知 in! 

Magic doctor.  :D

98 cents for Serrated Axe. Hunter shotgun for 1.45.

And, I want a padded vest.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 06:06:38 am by Knightwing64 »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 07:57:04 pm »

I知 in! 

Want to collaborate? I buy the hunter, you pay for equipment and the first few expeditions, and we split the profits from those expeditions 50/50. For now we could ally with an agreement to rethink our cooperation once you have enough for a hunter again, and I have enough to pay for whatever equipment the hunter I buy ends up getting. In other words, when we can go our separate ways and not screw each other over by doing so.
My Power armor arms race

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 08:13:35 pm »

I知 in! 

Want to collaborate? I buy the hunter, you pay for equipment and the first few expeditions, and we split the profits from those expeditions 50/50. For now we could ally with an agreement to rethink our cooperation once you have enough for a hunter again, and I have enough to pay for whatever equipment the hunter I buy ends up getting. In other words, when we can go our separate ways and not screw each other over by doing so.

Sure, I will readjust my purchases in the morning. I知 tired.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 09:04:22 pm »

I知 in! 

Sure, I will readjust my purchases in the morning. I知 tired.
Something something maybe form a group of three like that animal group? 
Spoiler: Stuff (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56