Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Coronavirus really means for AI  (Read 1592 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
What Coronavirus really means for AI
« on: April 29, 2021, 03:16:27 pm »

We are projected to be vulnerable to easily manufactured bio-weapons within 20 years. Consider that the human genome project cost 100 million dollars and the efforts of the entire field to sequence a single human genome. You can now have your personal genome read for 300 dollars. That's the level of advancement we're expecting in gene editing.

Now there are strong defenses. But consider that offence is fundamentally easier then defence - as It only takes one. And with it comes the collapse of our civilization.

We have one win condition: AI.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Coronavirus really means for AI
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 04:08:54 pm »

An interesting analysis to be sure, but I believe you've overlooked one key consideration:

Chakras.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 04:39:58 pm »

Ever hear about Skynet?  8)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 04:47:56 pm »

Don't computers get viruses too...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 05:14:21 pm »

I have a ritual I call "the terminator". First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked terminator" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing Arnold or the guy from the second movie and I start to hum the terminator theme. Then I rise up and open my eyes wide open. It helps to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. But theres one huge problem. If the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg it ruins my fantasy.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 05:23:18 pm »

An interesting analysis to be sure, but I believe you've overlooked one key consideration:

Chakras.

Goddamnit. I literally outlined a way to test it in one minute and did any of you bother?

Having said that, let's keep this as a sidetrack and not a maintrack.
Reading a thinner book

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 05:29:39 pm »

I'm concerned about the AI's ability to appeal to women :V what is the most badass way that it can pass the Turing test for maximum feminine appeal
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 05:41:29 pm »

I'm concerned about the AI's ability to appeal to women :V what is the most badass way that it can pass the Turing test for maximum feminine appeal

Michael B Jordan
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 05:55:20 pm »

I'm concerned about the AI's ability to appeal to women :V

I mean dating apps already succeed in making most men look terrible.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 05:56:07 pm »

I'm concerned about the AI's ability to appeal to women :V

Wow LOL

hopefully you guys know I'm riffing off of another Novel Scoops thread from Creative Projects.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 08:33:17 pm »

I have a ritual I call "the terminator". First I crouch down in the shower in the classic "naked terminator" pose. With my eyes closed I crouch there for a minute, visualizing Arnold or the guy from the second movie and I start to hum the terminator theme. Then I rise up and open my eyes wide open. It helps to proceed through my day as an emotionless, cyborg badass. But theres one huge problem. If the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg it ruins my fantasy.
DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN
DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN
DUN DUN DUNDUNDUN
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 09:34:34 pm »

Your AI would need to be prescient and possibly omnipotent, and at that point, the only thing stopping the AI from being It would need to be a virus, maybe? It'd probably be easier to just drop a nuke or peddle fentanyl if you didn't like a nation, anyways.

Yeah nah that's most men making most men look terrible. It's not likely to stop being a numbers game for dudes, but that's really the crux of the issue there. There's a whole spat to go through about whether your value as a dating candidate is worth as much as the thirsty dudes that bought premium benefits for more visibility or not, or if the glut of thirsty dudes results in a choosiness that hurts the average, but this hardly seems the place.

Vec, as long as it's inhabiting a scuba suit, it should have no issues, right? ...Now I'm imagining some AI possessing a scuba dummy to walk around city streets while being woefully unsuccessful at blending in with people. Maybe you could put the WiFi antenna in the snorkel?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:37:30 pm by None »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 03:12:10 am »

Your AI would need to be prescient and possibly omnipotent, and at that point, the only thing stopping the AI from being It would need to be a virus, maybe? It'd probably be easier to just drop a nuke or peddle fentanyl if you didn't like a nation, anyways.

This is a bit lazy. We already have CRISPR: the tech is undeniably getting more and more accessible.
Reading a thinner book

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 03:54:26 am »

A) not sure how this relates to covid, and B), how does AI help with  increased access to custom made biotech? Does every gene printer extrapolate the results of what it's making using AI? Do citizens take daily blood tests, and the microbes in the blood are tested for harmfullness - by AI? Does the AI print the vaccines or phages or what have you?

I have a better solution: Ludditism. Can't print the bubonic plague if we burn down the labs. Who's with me?
One wheel short of a wagon

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 04:59:10 am »

Looking forward to the days when hazmat suits are expected outside everywhere wear. Just imagine the fashion possibilities!
Pages: [1] 2