Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Grid (Out-Of-Character Thread)  (Read 3685 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
The Grid (Out-Of-Character Thread)
« on: April 30, 2021, 08:58:46 am »

This is The Grid, a forum game where you control a random unit from a number of classic grid games. This is a cross-forum free for all!

The List
Suggestions are welcome, but depending on how familiar I am with it / how much learning is required a game may be delayed, substituted, or denied. (prioritizing boardgames right now)

• Battle Hunter / The Hunters
• Battleship: The Classic Naval Combat Game
• Checkers
• Chess
• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
• Fire Emblem 7
• Frogger
• Into the Breach
• Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team
• Snake
• XCOM: Enemy Unknown

(Requested/Under review)

• Civilization III
• Crypt of the Necrodancer
• D&D 5E:  Faerun
• Helltaker
• Pac-Man

Hall of Fame
Game 1: ArchimedesWojak (Snake)
Game 2: a1s (Knight) - Accrovideogames (Troubadour)
Game 3: This could be YOU!

How to Play

Unit Sheet:
After signing up you will receive a PM of your character when the match starts.

• HP: If this reaches zero, you are eliminated.
• Move: How far from your current location you can travel. (You can't move diagonally, unless it says otherwise.)
• Initiative. (See Turn Order)
• You may also have additional powers and abilities.

Turn Order:

• Melee Phase
• Move Phase
• Ranged Phase

Each phase, highest initiative goes first. Then this repeats for the next phase. You can participate in multiple phases if your unit is capable of different types of actions.

Note: Your action can't be based on someone else's. So you will need to decide where on the map to target your actions specifically. If you target a unit, you will aim for where they were at the end of last turn.

Note: You can describe the path of movement, otherwise it will favor N>E>S>W.

Note: Anything else left vague about your actions that are not covered by these defaults, will be resolved at random.

Rules
1. If one player is considerably slower at taking their turn than the others, they may be removed or replaced so the others can play at a reasonable pace.
2. Details will be sent to you by pm. Post your actions in a spoiler. DO NOT LOOK at anyone else's spoiler. (There is no rule against changing your move/mind, feel free to do so.)
3. 1 point per turn you end in the goal zone. 2 points for a kill. First to 5 points wins! Ties go into overtime! (Unless a truce)
4. A note about cross-forum play: Please be on your best behavior, not only may the rules of each forum differ, it's good to make a nice impression as you will be representing your forum and others' impression of it. Ok, now back to chopping each others' heads off!

Waitlist - please confirm participation
(These people have priority sign up, but new sign-ups are welcome! Points from last game can be spent to nullify games from your unit roll.)
ArchimedesWojak* (1 point)
secretdorf*

*PTW

Sign-Ups:
a1s (4 points)
TricMagic
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:52:47 am by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Grid: Game 3
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 11:28:19 am »

PTW
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 12:59:59 pm »

I will sign up
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:29:26 pm »

Can I request Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin for my sign-in?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:45:43 pm »

Can I request Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin for my sign-in?
Grid-games, only. Also, you get a random unit from a random game.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 05:49:53 pm »

I've started rolling characters, so new game suggestions won't be applied to Game 3.

GM NOTES

The List

• Battle Hunter / The Hunter (Relic Hunter) •••
• Battleship: The Classic Naval Combat Game (Aircraft Carrier, Battleship, Destroyer, Submarine, Patrol Boat)
• Checkers (Checker, King)
• Chess (Pawn, Rook, Knight, Bishop, Queen, King)
• Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (Human, Bangaa, Nu mou, Viera, Moogle; +jobs) •••
• Fire Emblem 7 (49 unique classes, +items; terrain) •••
• Into the Breach (26 mechs) •••
• PoKéMoN Mystery Dungeon: Red/Blue Rescue Team (186 PoKéMoN) •••
• Snake (Snake)
• XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Rookie, Assault, Heavy, Sniper, Support, +rank) •••
• (Classics Crossover!: Battleship(?), Checkers, Chess, Snake, Stratego)

(Accepted/Pending)

• Yugioh: Dungeon Dice Monsters
• Bomberman (Bomberman)
• Stratego (Spy, Scout, Miner, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel, General, Marshal)

(Requested/Under review)

• Advanced Wars
• (Ancient World Games)
• Civilization III
• D&D 5E: Faerun
• Dungeon Crawl
• Dwarf Fortress
• Go
• Othello
• Plants vs. Zombies
• Reversi
• Shogi
• Space Invaders

(Grid-games with compatibility issues)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Special Case: Frogger Mode)

• Frogger (Frogger)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:27:34 am by roseheart »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 05:58:57 pm »

Yugioh: Dungeon Dice Monsters.

Also, In.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 06:16:45 pm »

Yugioh: Dungeon Dice Monsters.

Also, In.
Nice fucking choice. Epic

a1s, Accrovideogames has confirmed their sign up for game 3.

However you have choice to stay as the knight, or roll a character(spending your points to nullify up to 4 games). They will still be able to retain their unit no matter what you do, but your points will expire if you don't use them now.

We got 2 people from SV, 1 from MafiaScum, 1 from GameFAQs, and 2 from Bay 12 so it will take me awhile to finish that many units. Sign ups will remain open unit I finish.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 04:52:01 pm »

a1s, Accrovideogames has confirmed their sign up for game 3.

However you have choice to stay as the knight, or roll a character(spending your points to nullify up to 4 games). They will still be able to retain their unit no matter what you do, but your points will expire if you don't use them now.
I don't want to be a knight, no. Give me something new (no nullification).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: The Grid: Game 3 (Starting Soon)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:59 pm »

(Sorry, too late.)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: The Grid: Game 3 (Starting Soon)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 03:46:49 am »

Changes:

1) Single Attack Limit: You CAN NOT perform a Melee Phase action and a Ranged Phase action in the same turn, unless they say otherwise.

2) Terms:
• Nearby: The 8 tiles that surround the referenced unit or tile.
• Adjacent: The 4 tiles located up, down, left, and right of the referenced unit or tile.

Size:
• "SMALL": Human or smaller
• "BIG": Larger than human
• "MASSIVE": Small building or larger

3) New Mechanic: Hoard Mode
After dying you can PM me and request to spend 1 point to enter hoard mode. You will continue playing as a random antagonist unit: the weakest of 3 rolls. If you get a kill your character is revived.

Champion Unit Information:

Knight
• HP: 1
• Size: "BIG"
• Initiative: 8
• Move: Special (1 in one cardinal direction and 2 in a different one, in either order.)
• Capture: Destroy any unit you end your move on.
• Oath: You can declare 1 other player's unit to be your 'king', adding it to their unit's name. If they would take lethal damage, they instead move 1 away, and your next movement is canceled. If they die, you lose. You cannot break your oath, but they can renounce the title, then you are free.
• Crusade: Must move each turn.
• Heavy Shield: The first damage-based ranged attack received each turn is ignored unless the attacker didn't move for at least 2 turns, or does 7 or more damage.
• Bloody Grasp: If you receive a fatal melee attack, the attacker will be moved to your space.

Valkyrie
• HP: 5
• Size: "BIG"
• Initiative: 8
• Move: 5
• Passive Evasion: Incoming damaged-based attacks with 0% chance of missing now have a 25% chance to miss.
• Inventory: You can hold up to 5 items. Items can be used once. If a weapon misses it wont be depleted.
1) Mend Staff: Use this staff to target yourself or a unit up to 2 spaces away. Heal for 3. Harmful to undead. 25% miss. 25% double healing. 75% use not consumed.
2) Berserk Staff: Use this on a unit up to 4 spaces away. They will be informed that they gain an extra point if they deal damage next turn. 25% miss. 50% use not consumed. Can't be used on an ally. Can't ally a unit after successfully using this spell.
3) Sleep Staff: Use this on a unit up to 2 spaces away. Puts them to sleep for 1 turn. 25% miss. 25% double duration. 50% use not consumed. They cannot talk to other players.
4) None
5) None
• Rescue: You can pick up a friendly 1x1 "SMALL" unit for transport. This unit cannot act until they choose to get off or you set them down. -1 to Move, -3 to Initiative while burdened.
• Resupply: Before battle you can spend the points from your last match to buy items. Items can be discarded to make room. Duplicates are allowed. Points will expire after you close the shop. Neither the contents of the shop nor your purchases will be known to the other players.

In-Character Thread is Open:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178487.0

I have broken the players into two groups. The first group includes the units that were easiest for me to complete. The second group will start when I finish with them.

First Group
a1s, Reigning Champion: Knight (Chess)
Space Jawa: Sniper (XCOM EU)
dsjstr: ? (Pokemon MD R/B)

Second Group
Accrovideogames, Reigning Champion: Valkyrie (FE7)
TricMagic: Assault (XCOM EU)
Boohoo the 3rd: Boulder Mech (Into the Breach)
NotAJumbleOfNumbers: Thief (FE7)

My apologies to those that must wait.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 08:03:56 pm by roseheart »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: The Grid (Out-Of-Character Thread)
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 08:13:12 am »

Is Accrovideogames still my King?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 04:38:00 am »

Is Accrovideogames still my King?

I'm sorry, I missed this. Yes, as you shared an allied victory and they continued their altered "king'd" character. However, you can still ally other characters.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 08:20:21 am »

Skipping undeclared players soon.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 08:33:49 am »

?

I never got an action list did I?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5