Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty town, shoplifting...  (Read 4085 times)

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Empty town, shoplifting...
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

So...

I've noticed a number of towns are totally deserted for some reason.

And there's items in the shop, marked as belonging to the merchants that own them.

If I steal these, will I be attacked by humans at some point? :P I was GOING to trade... but... no merchant...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty town, shoplifting...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:39:00 pm »

Could the merchants be asleep in their home? I started my first adventurer since .32a and was surprised to find that people actually had individual houses.

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

It was daytime, and I didn't see anyone in their homes, and the framerate was nearly perfect. :P

Anyways, I didn't get attacked on sight when I went to another human city.

[ March 23, 2008: Message edited by: Bryan Baywood ]

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »

odd you have any mods? that might be making the people disapear and is it only human settlements?
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Are you playing on a full size map? Or one of the smaller maps.

smaller, small, and pocket sized seem to get settlements but no people.

Wood Gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

i play on smaller maps and the human city i'm emptying is full of humans waiting for me to remove that last support....

sometimes the whole lot will be wiped out during the history part of the world map making, and you'll find stuff but not people.  i can't remember from the last time did i find food or not, but i think i did (not very realistic, but i'm not complaining).  it would be nice if you could find barrels of booze in these towns - there's no way my dwarves can eat all the food in the city   :roll:

cause of unexplainable mischief

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

Yeah a number of small human towns i've come across in the 256 sized worlds have no inhabitants.

You can steal everything you want.  You still have to walk away from city limits to travel, but, even if you aren't sneaking when you steal you do not become an enemy of any civilizations.

There is food in every house, and items in every shop. Go nuts, PLUNDER!

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

'Tis most odd, I, too, did receive a small map littered with empty human settlements. I can only assume that inbreeding caused by the limited starting gene pool caused the gradual degradation of the populace until such a time as they slowly died out, leaving only a few alive. Similar inbreeding also seems to have caused a remarkably stupid horse population, as they rampaged through a town when one of their number got trapped in a building, causing many deaths. The village children, however, in their inbred stupor chased the horses around the town and were eventually slaughtered deep in the woods.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 08:20:00 am »

Hi!

I also found quite a number of abandoned towns in a 257x257 map. I didn't try to steal stuff, because I am kind of extra-careful, though.

The towns I found to be abandoned on that map were in a region together, so I believe that they belong to a civilization that died out during world creation. This would explain their proximity to each other and also the observation of others that shoplifting goes unnoticed by other civilizations.

Deathworks

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

I always play Standard-sized maps, and this has happened to me twice. Totally deserted towns, with items still in the shops.