Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress inspired me to try home brewing!  (Read 1266 times)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress inspired me to try home brewing!
« on: May 02, 2021, 06:21:22 pm »

I've been up to this for a while now. Playing Dwarf Fortress, I grew envious of all the dwarfs' tasty looking wines. You can brew practically anything, after all. It's expensive and difficult to get hold of all the different fruit wines that are possible but extremely easy to do it yourself.

It was winter when I got my demijohns for Christmas so there wasn't a lot of wild fresh fruits available. However, you can easily source honey from supermarkets, which I just to make mead (currently brewing in the demijohns.) You can buy fresh fruits in the supermarket at any time of year, but it can be expensive. You can kind of cheat by brewing fruit juice, but you might need to top it up with sugar.

I decided to dilute some jams and brew them, since they're basically fruit juice and sugar to begin with. I've got some apricot wine, blueberry wine, and raspberry wine on the go here, and I can't wait to try them in a few weeks.

This summer going into autumn, I'll be able to forage wild fruits, and mash them up to make forage fruit wines and cider, just like dwarves do. I'll be able to make blackberry (bramble) wine, hawse wine, and crabapple cider- maybe even rosehip wine. I could even grow my own potatoes to make potato wine, if I wanted, or maybe even tomato wine?

I wouldn't have ever fallen into this rabbit hole without DF. It's something anyone can do.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:30:53 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress inspired me to try home brewing!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 04:49:24 am »

YOU HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE PLUMP HELMET WINE REAL.
YOU MUST USE THIS POWER WISELY.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 10:30:06 am »

YOU HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE PLUMP HELMET WINE REAL.
YOU MUST USE THIS POWER WISELY.

Mushrooms have a very low carbohydrate content (they actually make a pretty good snack for dieting because of this; you can gorge yourself on them and fill yourself up and you won't put on weight) which means that they aren't ideal for brewing. You can make wine with them if you add sugar, but I'd prefer to avoid it in this case. I've done it with the recent fruit wines I've started making (the jam contains a lot of sugar) because the fruits are already high in sugars.

The difference between wine and, say, fruit juice and sugar, is that the fermentation process alters the flavour of the juice, subtracting some of its natural sweetness and replacing it with a boozy flavour. Therefore, you're not just getting an alcoholic drink, you're getting a unique new flavour that you can't obtain any other way.

I would submit that plump helmets are unusual mushrooms in that they have an unusually high sugar content making them suitable for brewing. They might also derive energy from the radiated evil of hell, which, for all I know, improves the flavour.

I'll have a think about it. There might be a way to make a passable mushroom wine that I'll have to look into.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 08:57:07 am »

There’s an unusual kind of mushroom in the real world called the candy cap. It doesn’t have sugar either, but it has a flavor related to maple syrup. Not sure exactly how you would make a palatable brew recipe around them but maybe there is a way.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:38:08 am »

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/beer-food/homebrewing-with-mushrooms/

I don't know if it works but seems legit. I think he's using them for flavoring the alcohol.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit