Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Advise me to not buy this game thread.  (Read 9993 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Advise me to not buy this game thread.
« on: May 08, 2021, 05:28:16 pm »

It is a foolish proposition for a thread, and likely to derail into something toxic or annoying I might feel the urge to lock one day but we will see. Try to keep it as much as the "we got x at home" meme maybe? IDK. Is this the shy recommend me a game thread?

Tell me why I shouldn't buy Microsoft flight simulator 2020. A short list of my concerns: can I justify 70 bucks, to most likely just fly over my home once, when I don't have nor intend to get a joystick (actually I got one but serial port is dead so fu joysticks, gamepad must do), and the community talks that poorly about the updates?
let

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me to not buy this game thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 05:32:10 pm »

It's 70 bucks!

Plus all the people who really enjoy it also get the flight controls (wheel, levers, etc).  It's mostly for those who want the most authentic simulation of flying a plane without leaving their homes, so you'll have to invest far more than that 70 bucks for the experience that people are raving about.

Great thread idea by the way, we've needed it for years!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 05:52:02 pm »

Great thread idea by the way, we've needed it for years!

Hehe we shall see, if there is any place where one could pull this off in a nice way is bay12.

Also on the plus side I guess I'm not the worst to be autosubscribed to this, I'll buy a game every few months or so, usually only real classics in sale or fancy technologic progress novelties. So much backcatalogue from life long hoarding. Should be able to dismiss stuff out of hand, I often do scrolling the stores, and I should often enough be able to give an informed judgment on fresh hypes like CP2077 was for example.
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 08:31:53 pm »

Advise me not to buy Ashen.   
I don't even play much in the way of soulslikes, but something about the graphics, characters creation, the buzzwords about its multiplayer and, yes, its nifty trailer have kinda won me over. I probably would have bought it by now if I wasn't currently apart from my PS4.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 08:56:02 pm »

Tell me why I shouldn't buy Microsoft flight simulator 2020.
...because it's 2021?
(But also... to work further and further back through that single sentence, because you don't intend to fly it properly with a joystick, because it's Microsoft and (finally) because it seems you already have doubts - hence you asking... ;) )

You remind me, though, that I've got a copy of XPlane somewhere. Must dig it out some time. See if it's aged badly. Apart from the "flying on Mars" bit, which is strangely topical!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 09:00:53 pm »

Advise me not to buy Ashen.   
I don't even play much in the way of soulslikes, but something about the graphics, characters creation, the buzzwords about its multiplayer and, yes, its nifty trailer have kinda won me over. I probably would have bought it by now if I wasn't currently apart from my PS4.   

I struck out those things you shouldn't be considering.

Now, I have played games solely on character creation, but its like the first thing that you only do once per playthrough.  And what's so great about creating a single character?

Graphics: Maybe check out actual gameplay videos.  They're more interesting than awe-inspiring.  Plus, they're graphics.
Buzzwords: Garbage.  Maybe when other people you know have played it, then you'll know whether multiplayer is a buy or pass.  Review lists it as "passable".
Trailer: Resist!  You're better than this!  Resist!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 09:48:43 pm »

Tell me why I shouldn't buy Microsoft flight simulator 2020.

It took me far too many passes to read that as anything other than 'MINECRAFT Flight Simulator', which had me intrigued for all kinds of weird reasons.

Also, it punched a giant hole in the world in Brazil. (It's a rather interesting screenshot/clip, if you haven't seen it. My phone hates me trying to link anything though.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 04:49:01 am »

I notice there's quite  a lot of negative steam reviews for Microsoft's latest flight sim.  Something about the game being unfinished and unrealistic, and little better than viewing your house with google maps.

Personally, I get  bored to tears with non-combat flight sims as soon as  I've read the cockpit documentation and  performed a single successful take-off and landing.    The rest feels like work and is basically dead time.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 05:30:20 am »

If you have a need of civilian flight simulator but don't want to invest that much money into a program + all the required joystick and etc... , there are still free alternative, most of them that can be used with just your keyboard and your mouse ( a "mouse as a yoke" system, so really move your mouse as if it was a joystick, like no sharp big move or you'll crash you plane in no time :D )
Most are not really realistic in term of flight model (out of Flightgear, that also require i each new versions more and more computer power unfortunately and will mostly run like crap on not-modern system, while in the past it was running smooth even on a toaster)

There are some combat flight sim in that list but i never tried those (out of YSFlight that does civilian flight as well as combat flight), so i can't say anything about if they do the "mouse as a yoke" like the other titles or their level of arcade/realism.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-free-flight-simulators/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:11:36 am by Robsoie »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 06:05:54 am »

Thanks guys, I didn't want to mention it but the civilian aspect annoys me too. I don't mind getting the ropes of a simulator, but it seems like that's all there is to it. I'm kind of allready hoping somebody would just take the map data and mod a completly different game into it.

Ashen does have a nice aesthetic I'll give it that, can it even count as souls-like if it has plattforming?  People are complaining the movesets dont evolve so I think it's more of a matter of picking a character than creating one. Also if you're hittin it off with somebody in multiplayer you will probably not be able to stick together.
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 06:17:41 am »

I recommend that you dont get massive chalice because itīs a really lame game. SUpposed to be xcomlike, but the tactic component is really weak.

Also: breach and clear deadline is pretty lame too. They dont know if they want to be a diablolike, or a tactics game, and they do both poorly.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2021, 07:06:26 am »

I watched a mini-drone racing league on a sportsball network once, and it was awesome. They even had a (free?) video game that simulated the controls of the drones accurately enough that the drone pilots trained on it.

They wore VR headsets and the drones looked relatively cheap though I can't say for sure. Threy crashed quite often, so either they are sturdy or cheap I assume. They also were capable of some really intricate obstacle courses.

I used to have a few of the old Microsoft flight sims, and they usually aren't bad for the time they are made in. I liked IL-2 Sturmovik more than their WW2 flight sim though for example, though both were difficult with my crappy aviator joystick at the time.

A completely free alternative might be Planetside 2 for a less demanding flight experience (no checklists though it is a combat game). The VTOL craft in that game can be really fun and people have gotten really good with them over the years that game has been around.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2021, 08:53:43 am »

I recommend that you dont get massive chalice because itīs a really lame game. SUpposed to be xcomlike, but the tactic component is really weak.
Really? I quite enjoyed my time with it. It's an XCOM-like bolted to a breeding simulator, with the dry wit humor that most Double Fine games manage.

I'll grant that it doesn't XCOM as well as an actual XCOM game, but I thought it did it passably enough - I did a single playthrough in 17 1/2 hours; and while I haven't gone back, I certainly don't regret paying for the KickStarter - at the prices you can get it nowadays, I'd say it's a great find.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 08:55:43 am by AlStar »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 10:17:08 am »

I got it at a sale, and got bored of it reallly fast. not worth it IMO. This is what I wrote at the time.

More bland than bad: a non-KS review

June 5, 2015 Verified owner
And an attempt to add some light on the game, unbiased by kickstarter drama or past good or bad experiences with the parent company. Based on my impressions while playing it during this week.

Massive Chalice is mostly an X-COM like game: You develop your base and deploy squads in turn-based missions. In many ways it's a simplified clone of Enemy Unknown 2012: a very similar waypoint system, analogous mission arrangement (AKA: random missions, you have to choose as you cannot respond to all of them). You have in effect three classes of characters: Melee, ranged, and AOE-glasscannon, plus some subclasses for each of these classes. There are limited ways to "tune" your heroes by breeding for certain traits, and by some research options which allow you to carry special items into battle (like in EU2012 and medikits).

Combat itself is likely the game's biggest flaw (which is pretty damning, as it SHOULD be the core of the game). While it apes EU2012 waypoint system, there's just so little to do, the scenarios are so bland, and the enemies feel so much like sitting ducks that it's more a regular every-so-many-years ingame tedium that something that hooks you.

Overall, I think it's not a *terrible* game, but there are better options out there which do what this one does but better. Five years ago it'd have had scant competition and it might have been a better choice. Nowadays I'd recommend going for OpenXCOM or Xenonauts if you're looking for a game of this sort.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 06:51:09 pm »

It's one of those hours played vs interesting concept things. It's not going to be your main thing for any real length of time, but it's a neat enough concept and it's cool to see what can be done with it, even if very simply. Depending on why you'd want to purchase a video game, that could be alright or incredibly damning.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6