Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Advise me to not buy this game thread.  (Read 9580 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me to not buy this game thread.
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 07:57:25 am »

C.  Wait a few minor versions so I don’t get swarmed by giant mosquitoes or horses or something.
What the heck is your problem, pal?  ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 10:14:18 am »

Any haters of Shadow Empire or Rule the Waves 2 to stop me buying them?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 10:34:29 am »

Unfortunately, I love them both.  Not cheap though.

However, I'll try to help...

Shadow Empire could use some more polish, definitely worth waiting a bit.

Rule the Waves 2 is basically done, which is to say that if you don't like what it is, there isn't going to be anything new to "fix" it.
There is talk of an expansion that will change the start and end dates, but the game itself isn't going to be changing, just added to.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2021, 01:27:19 pm »

Neither game is much for diplomacy if that's what interests you. Shadow Empire because only a few major faction types will allow allied victory at all, and minors are a little on the simplistic side; RtW because you're just the Admiralty guy after all.

Both have something of a learning curve too and require a certain level of being okay with fiddliness.

(That said I do like both, in part because they're both relatively unique games.)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2021, 02:11:11 pm »

pretty weak argument but more than 30 bucks feels like a lot of cash for allmost no graphics
let

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2021, 11:51:46 pm »

For my part, I didn't buy RtW2 after playing the heck out of RtW1 because I wasn't really enamored with the idea of leaping through hoops to e-mail them the serial codes I got in the purchase, then wait until they send an activation code from them for each box I wanted to install the game on.  I liked being able to play RtW both on my desktop and on the go.  When this bit of news on their planned DRM policy landed on the forums before release, I ended up walking.  I don't know if they rolled the policy back after release for a while, as I haven't really regretted it enough to look back. 

At least feelies looked nice back in the day, and you didn't need to write the devs personally for CD keys.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2021, 05:15:57 am »

Sometimes you did, actually :P

... I'm not the only one that remembers shareware (in particular, though not exclusively) and its prompts to mail order requests to the dev/publisher, right? Sometimes they got creative and asked for a poem or something weird like that, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2021, 06:17:39 am »

Shadow Empire is a rather good game, but it does have one major flaw. While the dev did promise he will fix this in the future, and is still working on the game, for now the game is so slow it is borderline unplayable unless you play on the smallest maps on which the game tends to end before it really begins. We talking like minutes per single turn, in a game where game lasts for hundreds of turns and not that much tends to happen in a single turn (except for the smallest maps where the game can be long over in 100 turns easily).

Also in all of my attempts to play the AI seemed really dumb, but from what I read around forums it seems I was just unlucky? But the long turn times turn me away from trying another game to find out  :-[

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2021, 06:33:05 am »

Sometimes they got creative and asked for a poem or something weird like that, too.
In Soviet Fortress, developer arts you...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 01:00:18 pm »

My biggest criticism of RtW2 is actually a lack of replayability. Yes, the nations that are in the game are extremely different, but there's so few of them. And while it's understandable that (mostly) it's just the foremost naval powers I think the most fun is had when you are bootstrapping the navies of smaller nations and fighting conflicts that have a lot of focus to them. To that end, mods do help flesh things out, but the way RtW2 works is that one nation has to be unloaded for another to be put in so... meh.

That said, it's still supremely fun as a simulator of both naval battles and contextually satisfying campaigns.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 04:03:41 pm »

My biggest criticism of RtW2 is actually a lack of replayability. Yes, the nations that are in the game are extremely different, but there's so few of them. And while it's understandable that (mostly) it's just the foremost naval powers I think the most fun is had when you are bootstrapping the navies of smaller nations and fighting conflicts that have a lot of focus to them. To that end, mods do help flesh things out, but the way RtW2 works is that one nation has to be unloaded for another to be put in so... meh.

That said, it's still supremely fun as a simulator of both naval battles and contextually satisfying campaigns.
It's noooo gooooood.  Don't buuuuyyyyy.
Fixed that for you, we're trying to talk them out of buying the game.  Talking people into buying games is another topic. :P
Which is why I'm actually keeping quiet about my huge love affair with RTW2.  Everything that has been said about its awful DRM is accurate, however.  Apparently the dev figures they lost a lot of money on the first game due to piracy, so they decided to lock it up hardcore.  It's not bad once you get it installed on a machine, but heaven help you if anything happens to that machine.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2021, 05:09:46 pm »

Sometimes you did, actually :P

... I'm not the only one that remembers shareware (in particular, though not exclusively) and its prompts to mail order requests to the dev/publisher, right? Sometimes they got creative and asked for a poem or something weird like that, too.
Nope. I still haven't played anything in the Commander Keen series other than episodes 1 and 4, and likewise for...I believe it was either the first or first two episodes of Doom, wasn't it?  That said, these weren't products I had bought and then needed to unlock by mail: they were free offerings that allowed the option to purchase by mail.  Once you received it by mail, you didn't need to mail them again for the rest of what you needed to unlock it, except for perhaps in the case of some very expensive software that required hardware dongles.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 05:11:53 pm by Culise »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2021, 10:21:25 pm »

Pre-emptively going to say: DON'T buy Victoria 3!  For the love of Armok, don't buy that shitfest!

Argument: Their "Game Designer" was that asshole that gave us Stellaris, and NOT the person that made it a viable game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2021, 11:21:13 pm »

While I think it's entirely reasonable to make assumptions about a new game based on the person making it, is it entirely fair to advise people to not buy a game that hasn't actually released yet?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2021, 11:47:24 pm »

While I think it's entirely reasonable to make assumptions about a new game based on the person making it, is it entirely fair to advise people to not buy a game that hasn't actually released yet?
Yes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6