Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Advise me to not buy this game thread.  (Read 9937 times)

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me to not buy this game thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2021, 03:44:22 am »

is it entirely fair to advise people to not buy a game that hasn't actually released yet?

I say you answered yourself. It is never a good idea to buy a game that has not yet released.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2021, 03:47:25 am »

While I think it's entirely reasonable to make assumptions about a new game based on the person making it, is it entirely fair to advise people to not buy a game that hasn't actually released yet?
Based on Paradox's recent track record, definitely.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2021, 08:01:37 am »

Also in all of my attempts to play the AI seemed really dumb, but from what I read around forums it seems I was just unlucky? But the long turn times turn me away from trying another game to find out  :-[

This seems to vary wildly for different players. On the current beta thread there's someone talking about raging and/or getting bored when on turn 190 with 10-20 minors and 5 majors, AI turns are taking a minute and a half to process. Honestly, I feel like they're low-key bragging about how fast things are processing for them, but they're probably sincere...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2021, 08:27:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It might be best to only bring up games that someone has genuinely inquired about. Otherwise this thread is just going to be a platform for . . unnecessarily verbose negativity. Which is not a problem in itself, but this is kind of a fan boy minefield where I can only see pain and altercation in the future.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2021, 08:58:33 am »

It might be best to only bring up games that someone has genuinely inquired about. Otherwise this thread is just going to be a platform for . . unnecessarily verbose negativity. Which is not a problem in itself, but this is kind of a fan boy minefield where I can only see pain and altercation in the future.

As Public Enemy #1, I'm sorry for my actions and will try to follow this sage advice.  There are certainly other areas those discussions can occur, and if not, an new more relevant topic can be created.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2021, 11:09:08 am »

Advise me not to buy Ancestor's Legacy next time it's on sale.   
Pretty much everything about it looks so incredibly cool, but I almost always suck at RTS-es. Plus, if I bought such a purty game at this stage it would have to be on console, which generally ain't considered the ideal platform for the genre. It's not one of those large-scale clickfests where having a mouse is absolutely vital, I don't think, but still.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2021, 12:25:48 pm »

Pretty much everything about it looks so incredibly cool, but I almost always suck at RTS-es. Plus, if I bought such a purty game at this stage it would have to be on console, which generally ain't considered the ideal platform for the genre. It's not one of those large-scale clickfests where having a mouse is absolutely vital, I don't think, but still.   
It's made by Polish edgelords who previously made Hatred, so expect the story to be really pro-Potatoland and stupid?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2021, 01:01:26 pm »

It's made by Polish edgelords who previously made Hatred, so expect the story to be really pro-Potatoland and stupid?
Allow me to jump aboard and say it looks utterly generic. Just a mishmash of different ideas, historical settings, and mechanics from other RTSes blended together in some kind of bland strategy soup. The top review on Steam would seem to agree with that too.........

(Also I will only ever give my actual opinion games, if you want to buy a GOOD rts, I will not stop you)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:04:27 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2021, 11:32:23 pm »

I tried Ancestor's Legacy. I hated it. The UI and pathing and combat are all mediocre, and the story is tedious and nonsensical, for example:

Play it if you really really want a medieval RTS, but you are probably going to be disappointed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2021, 02:59:47 am »

I tried Ancestor's Legacy. I hated it. The UI and pathing and combat are all mediocre, and the story is tedious and nonsensical, for example:

Play it if you really really want a medieval RTS, but you are probably going to be disappointed.
Okay, I think that anecdote alone is enough to turn me off it. Thanks. ^-^   

Hey now, just because you're Polish doesn't mean you can't write a decent story now and then.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2021, 03:31:27 am »

Hey now, just because you're Polish doesn't mean you can't write a decent story now and then.   
Well, there's Stanislaw Lem, I think. (Though, in its various published and adapted forms, Solaris is maybe a bit of a Marmite piece.)

This may be particularly subject to Lem's Law, of course. ;)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2021, 07:09:40 am »

I think I'd point to The Cyberiad if I was citing a more broadly-appealing Lem work even if Solaris is his best-known work.

Although I'd also point out that from an anglophonic point of view Lem was exceptional in a way that most Polish authors won't be, in that anglophones benefited greatly from Michael Kandel's wonderful work translating Lem. Prose translation is, alas, an art, not a science, and w/o either dual fluency or a partner of Kandel's caliber, we could well be seeing masterful Polish storytelling reduced to edgelord nonsense by poor translation. Probably not, though - there's a lot of bad storytelling throughout all gaming.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2021, 04:42:29 pm »

Convince me not to buy Two Points Hospital.

It looks interesting, its less than $10, its like a sim that I could never get working on any computer I own.  Why not?

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2021, 06:19:23 pm »

TPH is actually kind of decent, a nod back to Theme Hospital.   The main faults are that it's really not super deep, and can get kind of repetitive after about 6 or so hospitals.   Still, it's a decent amount of gameplay for the sale price, and if/when you do get the itch to do a few more hospitals the DLC is also pretty cheap on sale (50%+ off fairly frequently).  It's competent but not super, a bit above the average tycoon game but not a great game to replay over and over.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2021, 07:25:52 pm »

TPH is actually kind of decent, a nod back to Theme Hospital.   The main faults are that it's really not super deep, and can get kind of repetitive after about 6 or so hospitals.   Still, it's a decent amount of gameplay for the sale price, and if/when you do get the itch to do a few more hospitals the DLC is also pretty cheap on sale (50%+ off fairly frequently).  It's competent but not super, a bit above the average tycoon game but not a great game to replay over and over.

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to mull it over a bit.  It was sorta on my radar but too generic for the full price.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6