Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Advise me to not buy this game thread.  (Read 9579 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me to not buy this game thread.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2021, 07:20:01 pm »

I recommend that you dont get massive chalice because it´s a really lame game. SUpposed to be xcomlike, but the tactic component is really weak.

Seeing as its a dead product, kinda late to be giving that advice. I mean, nobody was going to mention it, ergo nobody was going to buying it until you mentioned it.

Kinda counterproductive.

But seriously nobody should buy for $20.  And read up to make sure its still running properly, since the devs are GONE.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2021, 09:22:24 pm »

I mean, nobody was going to mention it, ergo nobody was going to buying it until you mentioned it.

While I think the thread's spirit is "Hey, X game has some red flags, someone want to go into more depth about it", it's probably easily read at a casual glance as "Shit on a game that you believe is bad so someone doesn't spend money on it."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 01:44:20 am »

Advise me not to buy Ashen.   
I don't even play much in the way of soulslikes, but something about the graphics, characters creation, the buzzwords about its multiplayer and, yes, its nifty trailer have kinda won me over. I probably would have bought it by now if I wasn't currently apart from my PS4.   

I struck out those things you shouldn't be considering.

Now, I have played games solely on character creation, but its like the first thing that you only do once per playthrough.  And what's so great about creating a single character?

Graphics: Maybe check out actual gameplay videos.  They're more interesting than awe-inspiring.  Plus, they're graphics.
Buzzwords: Garbage.  Maybe when other people you know have played it, then you'll know whether multiplayer is a buy or pass.  Review lists it as "passable".
Trailer: Resist!  You're better than this!  Resist!
Thanks, fam. You friggin' assassinated that game.   
I mean, I am a sucker for character creation, but on second thoughts it doesn't look very in-depth anyway. I'd probably get bored of the gameplay itself a few minutes in and multiplayer would consist of getting heartlessly ganked (or maybe just lagged to pieces) every once in a while.   

Somewhat related to the thread: I've recently found that a good way to resist temptation and to stop yourself from buying a bunch of games on sale is to simply procrastinate. Just leave 'em in your cart for a few days and by the time you remember to go back even if you're still interested they're probably back to full price. #lifehacks   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 02:04:20 am »

Glad I could help!  :D

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 09:58:22 am »

Somewhat related to the thread: I've recently found that a good way to resist temptation and to stop yourself from buying a bunch of games on sale is to simply procrastinate. Just leave 'em in your cart for a few days and by the time you remember to go back even if you're still interested they're probably back to full price. #lifehacks   
I've found the same works with Humble Bundles - not sure if you're willing to pay for the mid/top tier? Just leave it in a forgotten tab on your browser for a couple of days; when you finally get around to making a decision, no more bundle!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 04:02:24 pm »

I've found the same works with Humble Bundles - not sure if you're willing to pay for the mid/top tier? Just leave it in a forgotten tab on your browser for a couple of days; when you finally get around to making a decision, no more bundle!

Except don't do this with the Humble Monthly/Choice/whatever they call it now, or you'll end up accidentally buying your eighth bundle when you forget/the last-minute pause doesn't work/the stupid thing unpauses you for the hell of it. I kid, it's more than eight.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 04:40:50 pm »

Another problem is when you describe this technique, other practitioners may suddenly remember that they were doing that, and check to make sure it worked, and find a bundle they're more susceptible to has replaced the one they were procrastinating to death.

You can't prove this story is autobiographical.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 06:40:56 pm »

I can ask what bundle it was, though, right? Whichun wuzzit?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 07:10:09 pm »

Dead Humble bundle that I was safe from was the Lego one (I've probably been safe for weeks). Live one that definitely did not - ha, how could it, the very idea is absurd! - ensnare me with its honeysuckle whispers and looming expiration clock was the Heal: Covid-19 bundle.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 08:37:10 pm »

So…

I’ve heard there’s this game called “Dwarf Fortress” that’s supposed to be coming out on Steam.  I was think about getting it to play on my Linux machine…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 02:12:44 am »

You should buy it on Itch instead. DRM free!
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2021, 02:50:39 am »

You should download it for free and donate an equivalent amount directly to Toady One.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2021, 04:25:32 am »

So…

I’ve heard there’s this game called “Dwarf Fortress” that’s supposed to be coming out on Steam.  I was think about getting it to play on my Linux machine…

I know this is a joke, but it reminded me of the time in school when I went to a meeting on campus. It was a group of students who wanted to start a website dedicated to game journalism, and so I signed up for this inaugural meeting. So imagine a collection of young college age nerds who thought they knew enough about games to write articles. Yeah, looking back I don't know what compelled me to go . .

Anyways, the first round of icebreakers was a pretty innocuous question, "What is your favorite game?" I had been deeply enthralled by Dwarf Fortress for many years at that point, so it was an obvious choice when my turn came around.

My declaration was met with a loud and smarmy callout from the front row: "Dwarf Fortress is NOT a game!"

I wish I had more to tell about this story, but all I can remember is experiencing utter confusion. Why would anyone care so much as to publicly call out someone's choice of favorite game, in an icebreaker where the whole point is the introduction of individual perspectives in a lighthearted manner?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps the young lady who called it out was in a bad mood, or perhaps she was an enlightened individual who was attempting to debate the fine line between 'simulation' and 'game.' Whatever the case, after that odd bit of hostility, I obviously ducked from that group of wannabe Zero Punctuation-ists and went on about my dwarf business.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 04:29:04 am by Salmeuk »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2021, 07:44:34 am »

On an actually serious note, Dwarf Fortress does have this thing where its first few releases after a major update often have big glitches. Not always game-breaking, but they are pretty big and immersion-breaking. 40.01 had save corruption bugs so bad it broke compatibility with future versions, 42.01 had the cats die of inebriation due to licking alcohol (though that one's just funny), 47.04(?) made the dwarves a bit too stressed (especially due to random corpses)...

I'd say delay buying it for a few more versions. I'm sure there's gonna be bugs introduced by the graphics overhaul, or bugs that resurface because of said overhaul. I mean, Toady fully admits to the game being an alpha, but just bear that in mind if you want to really get immersed into DF (again). At least download the Classic version first, since that's free and is otherwise the exact same game as the premium one, sans the tileset.

Plus, it takes some time for DFHack to get updated for the new version. Keep that in mind if you care about that. You could wait for a bit for the nightly builds, but now you're basically becoming a bug tester for two projects at once, and it'll be harder to keep track of if a bug you encounter comes from DFHack or DF itself. I'd suggest the Itch versions in that case, just so that you can keep a fresh unmodded copy on hand.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 07:59:00 am by methylatedspirit »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 08:42:08 am »

I'd suggest the Itch versions in that case, just so that you can keep a fresh unmodded copy on hand.

Our amphibious benefactor retains more revenue if it's bought on itch.io as well, compared to the rather enormous cut steam takes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6