Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Advise me to not buy this game thread.  (Read 9577 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me to not buy this game thread.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2021, 11:16:58 am »

Perhaps the young lady who called it out was in a bad mood, or perhaps she was an enlightened individual who was attempting to debate the fine line between 'simulation' and 'game.' Whatever the case, after that odd bit of hostility, I obviously ducked from that group of wannabe Zero Punctuation-ists and went on about my dwarf business.

Hell with that. I'd have asked her if she was just posing as a gamer because of the inanity of that statement.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2021, 12:42:47 pm »

Honestly, that degree of gatekeeping would convince me she absolutely was a gamer, albeit a toxic lifestyle gamer.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2021, 01:00:23 pm »

Eh I'm still gonna buy it on steam, I donated once and refused to take up time with reward drawing, but owning it on steam is to advertise the game among my friend list. Also racking up hours in game is generally shameful but should my profile ever say 3k hours in DF I'll wear that as a badge of honor... Also cheesing the system to get 100% achievements might be a fun challenge in and of itself, who knows maybe the badges earned could spell something more funny than what I'm currently exposing in which case it's DF bling bling all the way.
let

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2021, 01:14:26 pm »

Yeah, after donating a few times through here, I have no qualms about getting it on Steam. Will probably continue to donate directly to Toady. Haven't done that in a while, it's probably high time.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2021, 01:55:56 pm »

Perhaps the young lady who called it out was in a bad mood, or perhaps she was an enlightened individual who was attempting to debate the fine line between 'simulation' and 'game.' Whatever the case, after that odd bit of hostility, I obviously ducked from that group of wannabe Zero Punctuation-ists and went on about my dwarf business.

Hell with that. I'd have asked her if she was just posing as a gamer because of the inanity of that statement.

Honestly, that degree of gatekeeping would convince me she absolutely was a gamer, albeit a toxic lifestyle gamer.

Hey now, calm down folks, I'd bet good money it was someone on our boards (no speculation on whom, though).  Sounds mostly like a missed opportunity for some lively in-person debate, albeit an awkward in-person encounter.  Not everyone is a Professional Negotiator.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2021, 04:00:24 pm »

That sounds fun, actually.

Dwarf Fortress is NOT a game! It's a....

Psychological exercise to determine how people will respond to traditionally docile animals like carp exhibiting severe hostile behavior.

Exploration of the risks one will undertake to recover a single worn out sock.

Representation of The Matrix, and all I see are bearded short people.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2021, 05:09:30 pm »

Hey now, calm down folks, I'd bet good money it was someone on our boards (no speculation on whom, though).  Sounds mostly like a missed opportunity for some lively in-person debate, albeit an awkward in-person encounter.  Not everyone is a Professional Negotiator.

It's to the point I won't even criticize walking simulators as non-games. It's just a stupid thing to say these days IMO.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:57:24 pm by nenjin »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2021, 05:37:39 pm »

but owning it on steam is to advertise the game among my friend list.
...wouldn't work here. I don't have such a list and don't intend to create one.

The peripheral 'social network' bells'n'whistles of the Steam version are as likely to persuade me not to buy into that avenue. Very definitely I'm not the ideal customer in that respect.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2021, 06:03:49 pm »

I got like 30 people from IRL on there, and I don't really use facebook, whatsapp, and that other bullshit. Steam is definitly the most failsafe way to reach me directly and without delay, hell even my cellphone gets neglected.  It's about pragmatism really. But with a 16 year old account I collected a bunch stuff to show off I sometimes go through for a laugh. 100 percenting Dwarf Fortress is also a comical notion that's why I'd bother. Been flashing these achievements in this order since a while now.

defiant>fatso>the fly guy>indistinguishable from magic>seriously?!>dealt with every sister>cheated death
let

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2021, 11:54:41 pm »

I'd choose itch.io or GOG over Steam anyday - If only there were more games on those two.

Back on topic -

Hyperlight Drifter and Rain World.

I've heard good things about both, but the first is apparently a near frame-perfect twitch-reflex game, and the second drew a lot of comparisons to Dark Souls in terms of difficulty - Or, at least, that's what the reviews read.

I've never been really good at reflex-based games, and for reference, the two of the Ori series, which on regular difficulty are rather casual forgiving as platformers went, are probably the most I could take to completion. I did not get very far with Mark of the Ninja, and hardly ever lasted more than a few stages of Risk of Rain, and did not get the second.

Yet...Well, they looked really interesting.

EDIT: "Casual" is not quite the right word for them, actually...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:48:37 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2021, 12:43:30 am »

You should buy it on Itch instead. DRM free!

Huh?!  Why shouldn’t I get something that uses DRM?  I thought the Device Rendering Manager was a great addition to Linux…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2021, 12:49:07 am »

You should buy it on Itch instead. DRM free!

Huh?!  Why shouldn’t I get something that uses DRM?  I thought the Device Rendering Manager was a great addition to Linux…

Reject DRM, return to /dev/fb0.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2021, 12:58:34 am »

…I wasn’t actually expecting that joke to get such good replies…

This community is impressive.

On a side note, after reading the replies, I think I’ll:

A.  Get it on Itch.Io.

B.  Wait until there’s a version of DFHack available for it.  And DT too.

C.  Wait a few minor versions so I don’t get swarmed by giant mosquitoes or horses or something.

D.  ??

E.  PROFIT!!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2021, 04:49:00 am »

So…

I’ve heard there’s this game called “Dwarf Fortress” that’s supposed to be coming out on Steam.  I was think about getting it to play on my Linux machine…

A bit late, buuut.... you cant rotate workshops  ???

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2021, 07:56:53 am »

Hyperlight Drifter and Rain World.

Don't get Hyperlight Drifter because it's in the bundle (Humble Heal: Covid-19 bundle) I cracked and bought a handful of comments back, and you can either go get that plus 30-ish other things for the same price HLD normally goes for if you pounce before it expires (5h left), or I can just give you my key since I already had HLD.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6