Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding a Bear  (Read 3708 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finding a Bear
« on: January 16, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

So one of my favorite adventurers met an ill end at the hands of a grizzly bear.  I've created a new adventurer to hunt him down.  I've discovered the location and found the legend of his death but how do I find the bear.  Will he come out through random wilderness encounters?  Has anyone killed a named animal that didn't exist in a specific site(like a cave)?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a Bear
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 01:08:00 am »

I dont think they show up again, ever, or I'd have found alot of named skeletal elk and polar bears by now.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Karlito:
<STRONG>So one of my favorite adventurers met an ill end at the hands of a grizzly bear.  I've created a new adventurer to hunt him down.  I've discovered the location and found the legend of his death but how do I find the bear.  Will he come out through random wilderness encounters?  Has anyone killed a named animal that didn't exist in a specific site(like a cave)?</STRONG>

I would love for a Tracking skill that lets you find things across the local map or if you're good enough, the regional map. Probably really hard to code in though, at least realistically.

Rogan?

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I dont think they show up again, ever, or I'd have found alot of named skeletal elk and polar bears by now.</STRONG>

They do show up, I had a giant jaguar, Glistenunited, show up a long way from the place it killed my adventurer. It told me that he had killed the adventurer. There was something weird about the way it talked, but I don't remember exactly what it was, some words were missing I think. But it was of course the most peculiar thing that it could communicate with me.

The ending of this encounter was kind of anticlimatic.
This was the second hit:
You hack at The giant jaguar in the upper body with your Iron battle axe!
It is cloven asunder!
The giant jaguar is propelled away by the force of the blow!
Éthessemor, giant jaguar has been struck down.

[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: LASD ]

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

Was it something like, say.

Randomname:... (Killed someoneunluckyhuman)

Right?

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>Was it something like, say.

Randomname:... (Killed someoneunluckyhuman)

Right?</STRONG>

Yes, that seems familiar and I think it was exactly like that. So, it must have acted it out or something. Or maybe it was magic!

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by LASD:
<STRONG>

Yes, that seems familiar and I think it was exactly like that. So, it must have acted it out or something. Or maybe it was magic!</STRONG>

i think it may be your adventurers "knowledge" of legends

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

You won't meet named wilderness creatures again in the wilderness until later on when that's more practical -- for now, it moves them into caves.  Anywhere in the world.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

So the practical approach was to make me search every cave in the world?  :D

Well I best get cracking.

This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 12:17:00 am »

So that means you could get a named carp to be sent to a cave and then be air-drowned as soon as you enter the area?

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 01:40:00 am »

I can just imagine that:

The carp stands before you
Carp killed you!
Carp killed you again!
Carp killed you again!
Carp killed you again!
Carp killed twenty some odd drunks!
Prepare to die!
Carp has drowned.

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.