Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread  (Read 31175 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelike Mafia Discussion Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2021, 09:30:41 pm »

I totally missed this one...

Honestly, I think you should work towards a system without randomness.  In other words, if someone uses an ability, it always works unless another player uses an ability or otherwise acts.

Maybe characters could assemble potions/scrolls/wands based upon items, and those items can be seeded among the players.
Maybe some alchemists and herbalists?

Randomness is already a large part of the game with item generation.  While I see your point regarding the class abilities, bless/curse, et al, there are few arbitrary rolls; mostly just Potion of Raw Chaos and Scroll of Danger, and those are risk vs reward items.  Otherwise everything is some sort of player agency.  (Class abilities, bless/curse, randomizes, etc.)  Is there anything in particular you think is problematic?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2021, 02:36:52 am »

One idea for Cloak of Shadows: have the cloak protects against all kinds of tracks, watches etc and make something like:

Amulet of Favor: it takes on extra vote to lynch you OR you have two votes. You may switch between defensive and offensive modes as a day action.

That way it gives the player a tactical choice.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 13, 2021, 11:51:44 pm »

Okay, so let's go over the proposed changes one more time, in finalized form:

NEW MECHANIC:

Potions:  You may use one potion each night in addition to any other action.  Potions all target yourself.

NEW ITEMS:

Common:

Potion of Cure Poison [Common]: Removes the Poisoned condition from you.
Scroll of Interposing [Common]:  Any action that targets your target targets you instead.
Scroll of Joined Fate [Common]:  Any action that targets your target targets you as well, and vice versa.

Uncommon:

Potion of Protection [Uncommon]:  Protect from one kill action on you tonight.
Potion of Awareness [Uncommon]:  See all players that targeted you tonight.
Potion of Invisibility [Uncommon]:  You cannot be tracked or watched tonight.
Potion of Strength [Uncommon]: Any kill action you take tonight bypasses protection.
Potion of Insurance [Uncommon]:  Name a player.  They gain a random rare when you die.  [This is a permanent effect, not this night only.]
Potion of Volume [Uncommon]:  What action(s) you use this night (other than this one) are publically announced.
Potion of Phasing [Uncommon]:  You leave the game until the end of the next day.  You may take no other actions, and all other actions on you fail.
Wand of Interposing [Uncommon]:  Any action that targets your target targets you instead.
Wand of Joined Fate [Uncommon]:  Any action that targets your target targets you as well, and vice versa.
Scroll of Dreams [Uncommon]:  Get the night results of a random other player.  You do not know whose results you received.
Scroll of Thievery [Uncommon]:  Block the target.  If you do, take the item they were using before it is used.
Scroll of Stealth [Uncommon]:  You hide behind the target tonight.  Any kill actions that target you fail, but if your target is the target of a kill action, you die as well.

Rare:

Potion of Regeneration [Rare]: If you are killed tonight, you come back to life at the end of the night.  (You do not role flip, but your death is noted.)
Potion of Invincibility [Rare]:  You cannot be killed tonight.  You may take no other action tonight, and none of your passive items function.
Potion of Rage [Rare]: In addition to your other action, you kill your target.  You may only take one other action tonight regardless of other effects, and you cannot vote the next day due to exhaustion, but this kill is unblockable and bypasses one protection.
Memento Ring [Rare]:  You may make one game-relevant post after you die.  Vanishes on death instead of dropping.
Scroll of Mercy (Day) [Rare]:  The target may not be lynched today.
Scroll of Revealing Light [Rare]:  Target's action is announced publically.
Wand of Stealth [Rare]:  You hide behind the target tonight.  Any kill actions that target you fail, but if your target is the target of a kill action, you die as well.

Artifact:

Infinite Potion Belt [Artifact]:  You may use two potions every night.  At the end of every day, you receive a random uncommon potion.

CHANGES TO EXISTING ITEMS:

Uncommon:

Amulet of Preservation:   All your other items cannot be destroyed by outside sources.  At the end of any phase that your items are protected, this item is destroyed.

Rare:

Scroll of Item Knowledge:  Choose three players.  At the end of the night, you receive a count of all the items each of those players has.
Bag of Holding:  Your items cannot be stolen, and your potions, scrolls, wands, and staves are protected from destruction.  When you gain this item, recieve a random common item.

Artifact:

Cloak of Shadows:  You are immune to all investigative actions except inspections.

NEW CLASS:

Scavenger:

When questing for an item, the Scavenger receives two items at the following odds:  80/16/4/0% chance of an item of each tier.

I'm skipping the double scrolls for now.

Cloak of shadows was changed to be blanket immunity to all investigative actions (track, watch, inventory checks, etc) except alignment inspections.  The "extra vote to lynch you" effect is currently not available.

Amulet of Preservation now is one use, and the Bag of Holding comes with a free common as well as protecting potions as well.  This differentiates them enough, I think.

For the Scavenger, that's a 36% chance of getting at least one item of uncommon or better, which is still better than the current default rate.  Their chance of getting at least one rare is 7.84%, which is a bit worse than default, but not greatly.  The obvious downside is they can't find artifacts, in exchange for a lot more choice and a tendency toward uncommons.

I think we could use a couple more potions, but I'm tapped for ideas right now, and I want to get signups for Roguelike 7 up very soon.  I'll probably put it up Saturday evening, barring any major objections.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 19, 2021, 07:10:52 pm »

Has anyone ever successfully transmuted something in the previous games?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2021, 12:10:20 am »

That took some serious digging, but yes, at least once:

Using your toolkit, you extract the magical essense from the scroll, causing the runes to melt away from it.  Injecting them into your wand, it heats and glows slightly.  The magic stored in it has changed!

Wand of Slowing:  Target's action is delayed until the next night.

D4 of Game 3.   It's hard to find records because it's a day action which I process as soon as I see them and don't document them specifically.  I keep records of the actions in night phases, but since day actions don't really impact each other I don't track them as hard.

There may be more but I had to dig through old PMs to find this one.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2021, 02:23:14 am »

I just wondered about the action economy aspect, as you have to sacrifice two potential item actions for one potentially more useful one.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 20, 2021, 09:06:16 am »

Both transmuters that game (new in R3) were a bit cool on the effect, but they also agreed that it was a pain to cross reference item rarity to determine if they could actually transmute.  Classes aren't supposed to be giant effects, anyway; Transmuter is one that gives a new choice instead of a static bonus.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]