Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Profile updating broken  (Read 546 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Profile updating broken
« on: May 16, 2021, 08:10:11 am »

So after years of not touching the thing, I decided to update my profile information a bit. Any attempt to do so returns a blank page with no error message part-way through the save process and the changes don't go through. I've confirmed this on the latest builds of Pale Moon and Edge, for: avatar, personal text, location, website, and website URL, both individually and in combination.

Anyone else been having this issue?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Profile updating broken
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 09:50:37 am »

Just successfully made changes in Waterfox. Give me a minute, and I'll try the same in Palemoon.

Edit: Success here as well.

Are you making a lot of changes and not using the "change profile" button?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:53:01 am by Iduno »

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 10:03:10 am »

I think there's some issue with using imgur as your avatar host and updating your profile, as memory serves? Had a similar issue myself trying to change or set an avatar using imgur, but maybe it interrupts the other bits of the profile if it's historically set.

If you're willing to try a different image host, that might free up the other elements of your profile.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 10:45:03 am »

Are you making a lot of changes and not using the "change profile" button?
It fails even when only clearing out a single field, clicking the "change profile" button, and stepping away from the keyboard.

I think there's some issue with using imgur as your avatar host and updating your profile, as memory serves? Had a similar issue myself trying to change or set an avatar using imgur, but maybe it interrupts the other bits of the profile if it's historically set.

If you're willing to try a different image host, that might free up the other elements of your profile.
I've tried doing no changes except switching to an image hosted on three alternative sites. I've also tried changing nothing except switching over to the "No avatar" toggle. Issue persists.

I've additionally tried to make changes in Chrome, TOR, and legacy IE. Same result in each.

That's what's very odd to me, I've never heard of this issue with SMF and can't find any documentation of similar complaints with other forums run using it. e: Ooh, just got a 504 timeout message instead of a blank page this time.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 10:47:45 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable