Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 122459 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 03:20:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 03:53:21 am »

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 03:54:14 am »

Youare finishes reading, wonders briefly if he was over-hasty in naming himself, and peers into the box.

Watch the box being opened, take an appropriate number of whatever's in there
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 08:53:48 am »

Your verb is "Maintain"
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
You are both in.

Go over to the metal box and motion for the girl to come over.  Ask the box if we might open it to see it’s contents.  Explain that we are both in need of clothing and hope that the box contains something suitable for us to wear.  With the box’s permission, of course.  Be polite.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)
[2]
The speaker asks the metal box if it is ok to open it. The box, in a grinding metal voice, sort of hurrumphs and quite stubbornly refuses to speak to him. He wonders if it might be in a bad mood. Or maybe tsundere? He mentally envisions a blushing box explaining how it doesn't care if he opens it.

Waddle over to the box and take what I find there. Meanwhile, reflect on other things i know but don't know how I know, since apparently I know how to read and about the weird machine and the wizards.
Once I have the things fro mteh box, familiarize myself with the cavern, noting any plaques, unique locations, NPCs, and useable objects/creatures as I go.

Spoiler: Character: Creation (click to show/hide)
Creation isn't quite so interested in getting the consent of the box and instead simply throws the lid open and looks inside. There are three objects inside:

1. A purple robe with a large red eye embroidered on the back.
2.A pair of white gloves with a similar eye on the palm.
3.What appears to be a 4 foot long sewing needle made of black iron. Its sides are blunt but its tip is deadly sharp, and the “eye” has knurling around it so that it can be used as a handle.

There is somehow always enough of these objects in the box for everyone to have one of each. Those who already have them find the box mysteriously empty.   

[2]
Creation considers his existance and knowledge for a long moment...then shrugs. Eh, it will work itself out.

Creation wanders out of the first room and stars looking around. This place is indeed a cavern, mostly natural but with a few additions here and there. Like larger doorways cut into the stone, metal gratting stretched over the bare stone floor to make it level, lighting in the form of hanging lanterns, etc. However, one thing he can't find is an exit: They seem very distinctly trapped here.

To the left of the Cauldron room is what appears to be the living quarters. There are beds and, on one side, a metal counter and some tables. A plaque above the counter marks it as the "Food Conduit". On one end there's a box that seems to produce plates and silverware, and like the other box it seems to know when you aready have some. Along the top of the counter are several inlaid gold circles; not magic circles just big gold rings large enough to encircle the plate. When a plate is placed inside the circle, food seems to sprout straight from its surface. Different cirlces produce different food. At the end is another box which gladly swallows up the leftovers, including plate and silverware.

To the Right of the cauldron room is a library, its shelves carved straight into the stone. Its relatively small, maybe all of 200 or so books, and seems mostly focused on history, society, and large collections of non-fiction information. A Plaque describes it as a "Reference library".

Behind the Cauldron room, down a passage that snakes past the living area and around back, is a gym of sorts. Perhaps a practice arena is more fitting? It has training dummies, a sparring ring, an obstacle course...mabye? A strange collection of metal cubes and bars that looks like an obstacle course at least.  The Plaque here calls the place a "Training Hall" and explains that the dummies will refresh themselves every few minutes if needed.

Finally, there are two rooms directly in front of the Cauldron room, one straight ahead and one branching off to the left of that. The one straight ahead contains an archway made of metal thats set directly into the cavern wall. The room is described as the "Teleportation Gate" by its plaque and has a fair amount of instructions.

This is the Teleportation Gate. It is the one way out of this cavern and it will activate when you are needed. The blank plaque next to it will display your instructions when the time is right. When you pass through the gate you will find a teleportation conduit where you appear. It displays an image of a roughly 3 meter tall spike with a globe shaped crystal on the top. All who walk through this gate will appear at that conduit. The conduit can be moved, but its destruction is final and will, in all likelihood, result in your failure. Be aware that setting it up in areas of high ambient magic may also result in teleportation failures.

The rooom off to the side of the teleport room is relatively small and contains a huge glass vessel inlaid into the ground like a fishbowl shaped inground pool. The plaque here marks it as the "Deposit room", where any object which was asked to be retreived from the mission should be deposited. Anything dangerous can be placed there as well.

Youare finishes reading, wonders briefly if he was over-hasty in naming himself, and peers into the box.

Watch the box being opened, take an appropriate number of whatever's in there
Youare takes exactly as much as the box is willing to let him have. Ie one robe, one pair of gloves, and one big ass needle.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 09:58:49 am »

Youare leaves the Cauldron chamber and looks around the common space. He makes a beeline for the library, and tries to find a book on general history before reading at least the introduction.

Spoiler: Youare (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 10:40:00 am »

Discharge my three items from the box into my inventory. Not using magic mind you, do it the normal way.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 10:55:40 am »

After making sure that everyone else gets their three items, The Speaker grabs his and heads to claim a quarters.  Hopefully there will be a bath or a shower someplace where he can wash off the slime. If he doesn’t immediately find one, than ask the hallway where one might be found.

Edit:  forgot charsheet.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:20:37 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 11:00:21 am »

Don the robe and gloves. Then push Amyclas into the deposit pool. Observe the results. Then, if I somehow ended up in the pool or otherwise drenched, go dry off in the living facility. Then go and find a paper book and convert it into poo and a rake. Then go wash the poo off me and throw the rake into the deposit pool.

[spoiler=Character: Creation]
Name: Creation
Description: Tall, stocky, covered in dark hair. Emerald green eyes.
Nature: Punster Anagramist
HP: 10
Inventory: Robe, gloves, walking needle.
Fate Points: 0

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 11:04:06 am »

Go explore the training room in more detail. Inspect the dummies in particular.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 11:33:59 am »

Don the robe and gloves. Then push Amyclas into the deposit pool. Observe the results. Then, if I somehow ended up in the pool or otherwise drenched, go dry off in the living facility. Then go and find a paper book and convert it into poo and a rake. Then go wash the poo off me and throw the rake into the deposit pool.

Oh! No!

I’ll just assume that The Speaker doesn’t see any of this because he’s already headed to the rooms, but he’s not going to be pleased when he finds out Creation has been bullying Amyclas.

Also, I have a bad feeling about that book.  It might be the nail that we end up failing our mission for want of…

Edit:  post ended up borked because Ozarck forgot a tag.  Took a while to fix things… >:(
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:41:22 am by A_Curious_Cat »

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2021, 12:02:42 pm »

Grey dons his share of the robes and gloves and collects a needle and then after exploring the cavern fully, makes way to the living quarters where he utilizes the so-called "Food Conduit" to produce a meal, and then eat it, using cutlery of course.

One shouldn't put off the first meal of their life, you see.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2021, 12:55:24 pm »

Youare leaves the Cauldron chamber and looks around the common space. He makes a beeline for the library, and tries to find a book on general history before reading at least the introduction.

Spoiler: Youare (click to show/hide)
[5]
Youare heads straight to the library and find a book entitled "A brief history of the modern world."  He rapidly flips through it and discoveres a few things.

1. Magic exists. Thats fairly clear already. He knew that instinctively, though He's not quite sure what it entails.
2. The number of people who can use magic is small. The vast majority cannot use it at all, while a small percentage can use it to some degree and a small percentage of those can use it completely. These people are known as Mundanes, Mages, And Magi respectively.
3. Magi have controlled the world for all known history. Though they are so vastly above humanity that the Mages tend to do most of the actual ruling. A great deal of alll the power and wealth in the world is concentrated in the hands of Mages while Mundanes often live serf-like existances.
4. There is technically one government that controls the world, but in truth there are actually hundreds of countries and nationstates under the control of particular

Discharge my three items from the box into my inventory. Not using magic mind you, do it the normal way.
You grab your gear using your hands instead of your great cosmic powers. Yuck.

After making sure that everyone else gets their three items, The Speaker grabs his and heads to claim a quarters.  Hopefully there will be a bath or a shower someplace where he can wash off the slime. If he doesn’t immediately find one, than ask the hallway where one might be found.

Edit:  forgot charsheet.
You grab your gear and head to the living area. You claim a bed before searching out somewhere to wash off the slime. There is indeed a bathroom and washing area in the living space, on the opposite side of the "kitchen". The shower, along with towels and even sleeping clothing are handled in similar ways to the golden rings and the chest in the cauldron room.

Grey dons his share of the robes and gloves and collects a needle and then after exploring the cavern fully, makes way to the living quarters where he utilizes the so-called "Food Conduit" to produce a meal, and then eat it, using cutlery of course.

One shouldn't put off the first meal of their life, you see.

Once fully dressed, Gray heads to the living area and experiments with the Food Conduit, placing his plate over the various rings and seeing what comes up. Each ring seems to produce a specific...sort of food but not the same kind each time. He deduces that there is a fruit circle, a vegetable circle, a meat circle, a grain/bread circle, and a sweets circle.  Holding the plate over the "Meat" circle three times grants a set of sausage links, a hunk of fried chicken, and a medium rare steak. He mixes and matches his choices a bit before sitting at a nearby table and giving them a try. They're all quite good, still warm or cold depending on the food, and all still fresh. After a moment he heads back and, putting his hand over the last circle which didn't produce anything  before, is granted a large glass of water. Huh. He tries again and gets a smaller glass of cranberry juice.

Go explore the training room in more detail. Inspect the dummies in particular.
The dummies are humanoid,  about 6 feet tall, made of wood and metal, lacking any real distinguishing features. They have no face, just a large smooth head, no hands just hand shaped blocks, no sex just vague androgynous form. They can be ordered to move, to stand, to fight, to do whatever is desired...but they cannot leave this room. They collapse into ash after a minute or two if altered in any way and reform as they were originally a moment or two later.

[5]
After getting dressed Creation immediately grabs Amyclas by the neck and drags her into the deposit room. He hurls her into the deposit chamber and watches the result.

She falls and appears to break the surface of a perfectly clear and calm fluid that was sitting, unseen, in the giant vessel. She drifts rapidly to the bottom of it, hangs there for a moment, and then is suddenly ejected.  Its almost like the scene is running in reverse, the fluid spitting her back out and onto the cavern floor.

[2] Finding a paper book in the library is easy enough, but when Creation attempts to transmute it he find himself strangely unable to do so.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:01:56 pm by piecewise »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2021, 01:39:35 pm »

Take a shower and freshen up.  Afterwords, get dressed and then head to the kitchen.  If Grey is still there, ask him how if he knows how everything works.  If he does, ask him to explain, follow his instructions, and thank him politely.  If he doesn’t (or if he isn’t there), then ask the kitchen itself.  If that doesn’t work, than experiment.  Regardless, obtain and eat a meal.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2021, 02:09:56 pm »

Await instructions from the orange voice in the walls. Make Amyclys get her items from the box, then steal the items from her.

"So, I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is,  am still dry and there is no poop on my hands. The bad news is this place hates fun."

Oh! No!

I’ll just assume that The Speaker doesn’t see any of this because he’s already headed to the rooms, but he’s not going to be pleased when he finds out Creation has been bullying Amyclas.

Also, I have a bad feeling about that book.  It might be the nail that we end up failing our mission for want of…
Feel free to make an IC fuss about it, lol. I don't mind, even if my character dies for it.

Edit:  post ended up borked because Ozarck forgot a tag.  Took a while to fix things… >:(
oops.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2021, 09:16:09 pm »

When finished enjoying the cranberry juice and whatever's left of the meal, Grey disposes of the leftover dishes. Then, chronology abiding, Grey gives a short summary of the ring's functions to the speaker.

Grey then heads to the training room and stabs one of the dummies a few times to observe the results.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 09:18:28 pm by Fire and Glory »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 116