Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 122881 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.
« Reply #1680 on: October 07, 2022, 12:10:06 am »

"What if we go out with a guide to scout the borders, promising to hurry back with news whether I'm telling the truth, someone gets separated, provokes the other clan, and gets all of us chased back here, prompting a war? Also, is there a problem with us believing what we say, Hugh?"

Ho?!”, Hugh ponders Aaron’s words as he turns towards Genesis…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: October 07, 2022, 03:59:17 am »

"That could work to, ether way we need to get there and piss the other group off enough to get them over here."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: October 07, 2022, 07:47:37 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  A false flag operation!  But how would we ensure that the other ants became angry at the ants here and not at us?  It’s not like we have magic cloaks that would somehow allow us to take on the appearance of the ants!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: October 08, 2022, 01:09:21 am »

"Yes, that could work. And it doesn't matter if the other ants get angry at us. They'll forget about us as soon as they see this ant group. They're hardwired to be hostile to each other. It's their Magi's way of keeping them in balance, or something. Either way, let's get moving"

Genesis follows along with Debby to enact the "false scouting mission" plan to stir up trouble between ant colonies.
Genesis keeps a wary eye out for other insects, especially wasps. Especially those wierd-ass wasps that lay eggs in other insects. Stab those on sight.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: links (click to show/hide)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: October 08, 2022, 05:09:14 pm »

Ho, then!  Let’s get to work!”, Hugh exclaims as he follows Genesis, his large wok at the ready.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: October 08, 2022, 05:54:47 pm »

"I'll stay here and both provide a needle anchor, and a means of rapid communication with the ants for you guys. If we are seen working with this band of ants when we provoke the others, they will be mad at these ants, not just us, so that isn't a concern. Genesis, remember to get a guide to help you find your way, and to lend legitimacy to our operation."

((Also, have you been reading about parasitoid wasps lately or something?))
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: October 09, 2022, 09:18:24 pm »

"Yes, I believe Debby is arranging us an ant guide. Good idea to stay as an anchor. Try not to get in too much trouble alone here. Just call if you need help."

((I haven't been reading about them recently. I was just going over in my mind the kind of circumstances we have in the game, trying to refresh my memory, and since we are dealing with insects, and potential enemies of insects, well, horrible little monsters are a pretty natural enemy, so ....))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: October 10, 2022, 02:11:40 am »

catch back up with the others and re-orient myself

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1688 on: November 01, 2022, 08:58:42 pm »

catch back up with the others and re-orient myself

Ho, then!  Let’s get to work!”, Hugh exclaims as he follows Genesis, his large wok at the ready.

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

"Yes, that could work. And it doesn't matter if the other ants get angry at us. They'll forget about us as soon as they see this ant group. They're hardwired to be hostile to each other. It's their Magi's way of keeping them in balance, or something. Either way, let's get moving"

Genesis follows along with Debby to enact the "false scouting mission" plan to stir up trouble between ant colonies.
Genesis keeps a wary eye out for other insects, especially wasps. Especially those wierd-ass wasps that lay eggs in other insects. Stab those on sight.

"A fake scouting mission seems like it'd be the one that they'd find the most believable, so lets go for it."
Ask the military ant if we can take some ants and scout out the enemy territory.
Welcome back piecewise! You might want to alert some of the other players that this is running again. I'll edit this post once I have an action.

Edit:

Aaron offers to stay with the military commander to provide immediate communication, while the others go to see if his information is true.

As the group talks, word of their plan spreads. Hundreds of paranoid, hyperactive, xenophobic warhawk ants of all sizes begin to gather. Outwardly the goal of "Scouting" remains constant but its clear within their  actions and innuendo that they know the true intent of this and they are all for it. If they do not find aggression, they will MAKE aggression. Goading, taunting, flase flag attacks, and outright preemtive attacks are planned fleeting wiggles of antennae and scent gland emissions, at least according to your translator.

When asked for volunteers there is no shortage and carapace armored bodies press in around the group in wild silence, their cries for attention held only in smell and sign.  Looking out at the masses there seem to be a few kinds.
1. Very small ants, roughly the size of a dog. They're very quick and long legged for their size, almost spiderlike with tiny pincers. Born scouts and investigators.
2.  Middle sized ants, still as large as a carriage. They are archypical, no different from any ant you might see crawling about on the sidewalk or in the underbrush. Only their size and crystalline appearance set them apart. They are generalized, not really great at anything but not really lacking in anything.
3. Soldiers. Much larger, two or three times the length of the workers and twice the height with pincers large enough  to encircle and bisect several men.  Their carapace is heavy and angular, designed to shed blows and wrench free of pincers.
4. Diggers. These oddities show their crystalline makeup much more then the others. They look more like crystals arranged in the rough shape of an ant than ants carved out of a crystal. Their forms vary between one another, but generally have one large crystal as their abdomen and a single, mouthless crystalline head with several, often an odd number, of gem eyes.  The crystalline make up of the nest seems to shiver and move around them and bits of crystal float and orbit near them. They lack antennae and instead seem to communicate with strange low frequency noises.
5. Bombardier.  Resemble soldiers but instead of giant pincers they have an enormous Abdomen visibly filled with a purple fluid. They have a double pair of pincers, the smaller inner pair is constantly arcing with electricity.

You have your choice between any of these, but  it seems like limiting your overall forces would be prudent. Anything beyond maybe 10 ants would likely become difficult to command effectively, especially with every command having to be filtered through debbie.   

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: November 02, 2022, 05:36:02 am »

"Damn these guys really want this thing to happen, and from the sound of it they're gonna start the what no matter what we do, so I guess we take the medium sized ants, continue with the plan, and see what happens."
Bring the mix of ants Ozarck suggested with us into enemy territory, but before we set out for enemy territory talk to that military ant and establish a few simple drawling that Aaron and use to communicate to them what we've got going on be sure to include Aaron in this process so he knows what the images are.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 04:18:27 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: November 02, 2022, 07:50:33 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  Why only the medium sized ones?  Why not take a mixture of different types?  Is 10 medium-sized ants all we really need?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: November 03, 2022, 03:47:46 am »

"You know you're probably right a mix of ants is probably the way to go, you got any opinions on what kinds we should take?"

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: November 03, 2022, 09:39:23 am »

"Oh, this is going to be a thing, isn't it? Let's organize teh whole group into units, and take just het one unit with us. Maybe suggest the other units .... scout some side paths? Or guard various areas along the border?"

Arrange the whole mess of ants into groups containing a bombadier, a digger, three soldiers, three regular, and two scouts each, or roughly thereabouts. I recommend we take this mix with us as well. Maybe add a second digger. Additionally, suggest that the enemy ants thing the Artisan's work is stupid and bad and should by no means ever be allowed to happen, especially within our ants' borders. Be sure to comment about the weirdness of the other ants' architectural choices. "Hexagons or Octagons? The choice is obvious, isn't it?"

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: November 03, 2022, 01:48:44 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  I agree with taking the extra digger, but I think eleven ants is a tad too much for Debbie to handle.  Perhaps we should take only two of the soldier ants.  Or, perhaps, only two of the regular ants…

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: November 03, 2022, 08:33:09 pm »

"I don't mind. I can't imagine the details are going to be particularly important to what we are trying to do. Don't tell the ants I said that."
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 116