Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 122737 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2021, 04:46:59 am »

Put on my robe and gloves. Go through the portal after someone else has gone through it. Observe surroundings, scan for hostiles.

Spoiler: Youare (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2021, 09:54:26 am »

“Oh?  Is that what it is?”

Finish eating (if necessary and there is enough time -otherwise, scrape the remaining food off into the cauldron-), dispose of the dishes and silverware in the kitchen, make sure we have our needle with us, and go to the teleportation room.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(in the future, rather than posting multiple actions please either edit the existing one or strike through whatever set of actions you don't want. It just makes it easier for me.)
Speaker finishes his meal in a rush, tosses the plate and silverware into the disposal bin and runs out to the teleportation room, Needle in hand.

Quickly finish the food, then talk to myself and try to talk to my organs and see what happens on the way to the teleportation room.
[4]
Debby greets her organs and they, through various gurglings and twinges of odd pain and sensation, respond back. Mostly they tell her to be careful and try not to do anything that causes them to have to work harder. Her liver seems almost sullen while the stomach responds that it's too busy to chit chat right now.

She wanders into the teleportation room, poking at her belly.

If you're still accepting characters, here's one.

Spoiler: Bob the Homunculus (click to show/hide)
Bob falls out of the Cauldron and looks around. He's still wiping off goo when someone dressed in a robe and carrying a big metal spike wanders in and explains things to him quickly.

[Your element is....Belts]

Put on my robe and gloves. Go through the portal after someone else has gone through it. Observe surroundings, scan for hostiles.

Come on, you lot, we got work to do. Plaque says it's go time!

Shove Amyclas through the portal. No time for inventory now, she can go as is. Whether that action succeeds or not, go through the portal myself and examine the surroundings, with special attention to locating villagers and noting any obvious signs of magical beasts.

Spoiler: Character: Creation (click to show/hide)
Head to portal
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

Creation drags Amy out of the deposit room and, as everyone gathers in front of the Portal gate, shoves her through. The instant she passes the threshold of the gate it is as though a seal has been broken  and the gentle sucking wind escalates into a hurricane. Everyone near the portal is yanked off their feet and pulled into it, spiraling in like water down a drain.  The teleportation isn't instant, though it isn't long either. They seem to fall down a spiraling rainbow shaft for maybe two or three seconds, just long enough to comprehend what's happening and get a momentary look at the kaleidoscopic maelstrom before emerging out the other side. Despite  being sucked into the portal in quite an undignified way they all emerge on their feet, as though they had simply walked through a doorway.

Freezing darkness. Night. Blizzard.  They blink, trying to get their bearings. They have emerged surrounding the teleportation conduit, its crystal orb throwing out pale blue light that illuminates the area directly around them. The area nearest the Teleportation Conduit is scorched to ash and indented, as though the thing were speared into the earth from a great height. Melted snow and scorched grass in a ring around it, then fresh and glittering snow. Heavy snowflakes flash down in the light, driven diagonally by the wind.  The earth shakes slightly, a rumble and crash somewhere distant.

Though their faces are freezing, their bodies are warm beneath their robes. And not in a way where it is obviously just the robe protecting them from the cold, it is almost as though their bodies are still back in that warm cave while their heads are stuck out here. They pull up their hoods and immediately the warmth covers their heads as well.  Despite bare feet, thin gloves, silken robes, and ice forming on their Needles they feel perfectly fine.

They look around closer now and notice distant lights. The lights flicker in the blizzard, amber glow strobing through the dense snowfall. The amorphous glowing form of a city or town.  Its a few miles from them and somewhat lower in elevation. There is no moon or stars to illuminate it any further, so all they can see is the golden smear of lights and the indistinct black masses which hint at the existence of a half buried structure.  The distant rumble and crash happens again and the ground vibrates beneath their feet.

Just as they begin to discuss what to do, two roaring comets arc out of the town and into the night. White flares on a long parabolic trajectory. They rise rapidly but then halt at the apex of their flight and slow, their light flaring even brighter. The town leaps into view, its lights now  nearly invisible under the harsh illumination of the flare.  Black boxy structures under a thick blanket of snow, like basalt boulders covered in dense white moss. Beyond the village is a wide snow covered field, and beyond that a forest of conifer trees, evergreens and firs.  With a rumble and crash something steps into the illumination of the flare, cast in almost monochromatic color by the intense white light.

It has the rough shape of a man, but with the head of a canine. Its covered in a dense coat of fur, thickest around its chest and shoulders, thinning as it extends to the limbs. Its arms  and hands are too long and its fingers end in cuving scythe-like claws. Its canines are huge, like the fangs of a sabertooth, and its eyes glow a purple  under the light of the flare.  It is 100 meters tall, maybe larger, and is slowly advancing towards the town, pushing through the forest as though it was tall grass. 

The town erupts with new light and a distant chattering hum as gun emplacements open fire. The swift darting flashes of tracer rounds lance through the darkness and into the Wolf Giant, It doesn't slow its already ponderous advance, but does raise its head and howl as it continues. Its howl is like the rushing scream of the storm, something too massive to have any discernible source or location, a sound which echoes to and from everywhere.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2021, 10:25:30 am »

((When I first saw the words melted snow and scorched grass I thought we'd have to take down a dragon. That's not the case, thank goodness, though what we're facing instead doesn't seem too much better.))

"I find myself wishing our masters saw fit to provision us a little better. I believe these needles of ours may have the ability to inhibit magic, though I could easily be wrong. And I don't know how well they'll fair against that monstrosity if I am right."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2021, 10:38:06 am »

"What are you complaining about? We have everything we need at our disposal. I could wish we had been dropped a tad closer to the village or the big puppy though. I am not walking that far.

Grab some snow, pack it into ball form, then convert the snow ball into a sled and a lab to pull the sled. In fact make several snow balls and convert them into sleds and labs. However many I can do in one action.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:04:11 am by Ozarck »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2021, 12:53:09 pm »

Help Creation make sleds and labs

I’m going to use SLUDGE from where the snow is mixed with the dirt to make SLEDs, and then take some SNOW and make some SOWs to pull said sleds

Also, if there’s time, go get a GRASS BLADE and make some SABERS and a LAD

Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:08:42 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2021, 01:10:57 pm »

"What are you complaining about? We have everything we need at our disposal. I could wish we had been dropped a tad closer to the village or the big puppy though. I am not walking that far.

Grab some snow, pack it into ball form, then convert the snow ball into a sled and a lab to pull the sled. In fact make several snow balls and convert them into sleds and labs. However many I can do in one action.

Watch as Creation and Luta fail to make sleds as there is neither an “e” nor a “d” in “snow balls”, then ask our needle if Grey is right.  If someone starts moving towards the town, then go with them.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

Edit:  I think I got ninja’d.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:52:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2021, 03:13:34 pm »

(PW, I'm assuming I got the robes, gloves, and needle before being pulled through the gate. Let me know if that isn't the case.)

Bob takes a moment to look around before looking unimpressed. "Needs more belts. Maybe I can make one giant one from the big dog. Or many smaller ones." Bob couldn't help feeling almost naked without a belt, and so he set to rectify the problem.

Make a snow belt by packing snow into the shape of a belt. Actually, make as many snow belts as I can before we head towards the town. Or on the way to the town. Control them to follow us with my magic.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2021, 07:18:43 pm »

"Let's go for the town. Try not to engage that thing until we have a plan."

Youare finds a nearby bush or tree, or failing that a plant. He scrapes the snow away from the roots, reaches into them, and pulls out the function Anchor.

He then joins any party heading towards the town.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2021, 08:18:22 pm »

”I hope you are right. If you come up with anything, catch up with us.”

Grey sets off for the town.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 08:24:53 pm by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2021, 01:24:47 am »

Creation stares at his hands for a moment, brows furrowed, and mutters to himself:

"This isn't melted snow. I can't make a sled with this. Is melted even a material? snow is a material. But it is an object? The snow blankets the ground? but can I hold that in my hands? Wait, I know."

Grab some grass and rub it forcefully between my gloved hands. then walk a short distance from the portal beacon and use the grass stains to make a train.

"Hey Beltbeard! If this works, and doesn't come with it's own rails, lets use your belts as tracks!

If it doesn't work, one of you verbomancers or functionaries can probably make use of the results, anyway. I get credit either way though."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2021, 02:02:19 am »

"I kind of wish we were given some kind of ranged weapon."
Start walking towards the town.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2021, 04:34:14 am »

”I wonder how much gunpowder they have in that town?”

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2021, 04:52:10 am »

"Your needle can be thrown, like a javelin. I'm not sure it will do more than annoy the creature we've been sent to kill, unless you manage to hit the right spot, so I'd hold onto it for now. Knocking the beast down and then stabbing a vital organ seems more advisable."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2021, 05:31:57 am »

Quote from: NJW2000
Quote from: King Zultan
"Your needle can be thrown, like a javelin. I'm not sure it will do more than annoy the creature we've been sent to kill, unless you manage to hit the right spot, so I'd hold onto it for now. Knocking the beast down and then stabbing a vital organ seems more advisable."
"He's an all tongue. I bet he could just ask his needle to go poke it in the eye and it would."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2021, 06:10:08 am »

Quote from: NJW2000
Quote from: King Zultan
"He's an all tongue. I bet he could just ask his needle to go poke it in the eye and it would."
"I don't know if that's how it works, I'm kind of reluctant to try since I would be unarmed afterwards."
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 116