Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 122392 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Unique Pain
« Reply #570 on: July 20, 2021, 02:34:51 pm »

((Fixed to experiment with onions and tomatoes instead))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #571 on: July 20, 2021, 03:06:26 pm »

((Hey Piecewise, we healed up after we got back, right?))

Bob goes to the training room and tries to charge his Needle with a spell that turns the target into a belt.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Occam's Razor
« Reply #572 on: July 20, 2021, 03:50:00 pm »

The Speaker goes to the kitchen and observes the results of the various experiments.  After that, he heads to the library.  Once there, he asks the books (spending 1 fate point):

Which of you, if any, contain information on how to create magic spells?

After that, he grabs one of the books that contains such information, finds a place to sit down, and begins reading it.

((I have a feeling you are going to get the same answer debby got when she tried this at the end of the first mission.))

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #573 on: July 20, 2021, 09:55:30 pm »

Grab an apple from the kitchen to eat and then search the library for a book on identifying magical auras/runes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 21, 2021, 07:01:20 am »

((be sure to pump laser spell into your needle too. Or darkness spell or flash bomb or ... well, anything really.))

I’m going to figure out what I can do first.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #575 on: July 21, 2021, 02:26:21 pm »

"Alright, let's test some stuff out, I guess. Anyone wanna try linking needles with me?"

Attempt to instill a spell into my Needle: Bind creature. Goal is to determine if Purebloods can instill spells, or if that is an artifact of the magical contamination that creates the other types.
Regardless of the outcome, grab two plates and two loaves of bread from the kitchen and try merging them. touch the end of the needle to a plate and the tip to a loaf, then touch the end to the other loaf and the tip to the other plate. is there a difference in the outcome?

link needles with a volunteer - preferably Bob - then go to a different room from him and tug three times. Once this is done, are the needles still linked? If they are, tap them three times again and see if that unlinks them.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Nope. Don't work.

[6,2]  The first produces a loaf of ceramic bread. The second causes the plate to disappear and fills the bread with little fragments ceramic, like you smashed the plate and jammed the bits in there.

Doesn't seem like anyone volunteered to help ya.

(('Cor, I thought about asking for a run down on our equipment but I didn't know we were missing out on so much.))

"Interesting."

Grey heads into the dorm and watches Genesis's experiments with plates and bread. After that he picks up four plates and heads into the training room, placing the stack by one of the walls.

He then picks up the top plate and Maintains the position of a dummy relative to the plate, and then throws the plate towards the dummy. Unless the magic completely fails to take hold, in which case there's no point in throwing it.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
[1]
Grey successfully magically glues the plate to his own hand.

"Well this is interesting, I'm gonna go sew some stuff together and see what happens."
Take Elizabeth over to the bed room and lay her down in the bed so she can get some sleep, then go get a piece of cake an a sausage and sew them together.
You carry Liz over to your bed and lay her down in it, tucking her in before you head off to sew food together...For laughs I guess.

[1]
The result is a slice of cake with a sausage rather rudely and crudely jammed through it like a comedic phallic meat arrow.

Go to the box and try to get another set of gloves and another cloak.  then try to summon another laser.  this time focus on willing it to go outward in a straight line.

[3]
The good news is it doesn't blow up in your hand. The bad news is it kind of just sputters and flickers like an angry flashlight instead of condensing into a laser. Also makes a sphere around you dimmer than the rest of the room.

Go to the food conduit, and attempt to get myself a bowl of water, then head to the testing room, make sure I have some space around me, and test how my magic works

1) attempt to grow my wings to a larger size, using the air around me. it'd be cool to have them be real wings instead of tiny non-functional ones.
2) attempt to turn my left hand into wood, using a training dummy as a material. see if it is still flexible and controlable. also note what happens to the dummy when I do this.
3) attempt to dismiss the effect on my left hand.
4) attempt to turn my left hand into water, using a bowl of water from the Food Conduit, and test my control of said hand.
5) assuming I haven't accidently caused myself any self-harm so far, attempt to turn my left hand into air, using the air around me, and then test my control of said hand afterwards. do NOT do this if any of the previous actions have harmed myself.

For the sake of time, I'm just going to tell you what would happen if you rolled well.
1) You take on the shape/material of something you're touching. So you could turn your little wings into air, but you'd need to be touching something in the shape of wings in order to shape that air into wings.
2)Your wood hand would be as flexible as your normal one. What happens to the dummy is that an equal amount of it as the volume of your hand is turned into flesh under where you're touching.
3) Hand returns to flesh, dummy returns to wood.
4) You can do so, and you can control it. Same as before, water is replaced by flesh.
5)You can turn it into air, and you can control it.

Join in experimentation. Head to the kitchen and sew a cutting board and a bag together. End of needle on cutting board, tip on bag, then find another cutting board and bag and do end on bag, tip on cutting board and compare results
Seems the kitchen’s a popular test area, makes sense as there’s a variety of different item types here

((I don’t think the kitchen has any cutting boards.  Or any other food preparation items for that matter.  It’s more of a magically automated dispensary/disposal for food, dishes, and eating utensils.))

The Speaker goes to the kitchen and observes the results of the various experiments.  After that, he heads to the library.  Once there, he asks the books (spending 1 fate point):

Which of you, if any, contain information on how to create magic spells?

After that, he grabs one of the books that contains such information, finds a place to sit down, and begins reading it.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

Edit:  changed question and following action.

[6]
All of the books shout, in unison, that they do not contain information about how to create magic spells.

((Hey Piecewise, we healed up after we got back, right?))

Bob goes to the training room and tries to charge his Needle with a spell that turns the target into a belt.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

Nope. You can't do that normally so you can't do it here.

Grab an apple from the kitchen to eat and then search the library for a book on identifying magical auras/runes
[6]
The closest you find in the library is a book talking about the "Unique forms of Magic".

It basically says, in several hundred pages of very flowery text, that those who can see magic will perceive it differently depending on two major things: Its source and its function. All the magic from a particular person will generally have an underlying theme or appearance often called a material, while the form it takes will depend on what the spell actually  does. The material of the spell tends to reflect the nature of the caster, while the form reflects the nature of the spell.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Seclusion
« Reply #576 on: July 21, 2021, 03:14:20 pm »

Testing Shenanigans 2: The shenaniganing
0)push the magic out of the plate stuck to Grey's hand. Store it in my needle. Attempt to not discharge that spell during the rest of testing.

1)Speak into the eye of the needle. see if it amplifies my voice like a megaphone. If it does, take it into the testing area and shout through my needle at one of the dummies, like those desert people in Dune with their weird-ass wrist pyramids or whatever they were.

2)Attempt to access hammer space using my gloves (try a variety of methods, like imaginary opening a door, or turning a key, or just acting like i am putting something in a pocket). If successful, store my Avant Garde Ceramic Loaf TM in hammer space. If successful, ask someone else to attempt to access hammer space and see if they can get the loaf out themselves, or if their hammerspace is separate.

3)If all that is unsuccessful, attempt to pass the Ceramic loaf through the eye of my needle.

4)Using the point of my needle, write the word 'break' in the air, pointed at a target dummy.

5)Throw my needle at a target dummy like a javelin. attempt to call it back to me by flexing my glove and again by saying 'return.'

6)Using the needle like a club, whack the end of the needle against the head of a target dummy. tap the tip of the needle against the target's body (or another target) to discharge the magic.
How is the grip on the needle's shaft? I know we have knurling on the eye for grip.

7)Similar to the above, tap the back of the needle on a target, then throw the needle point first at another target. Does the sewing effect still occur?

Since Grey is offering to link needles, I'll go along with his experiment there and see if we can communicate throug hthe needle, like an old school wall phone, or like a magic mirror or zoom call.

Discard the loaf that has broken ceramic using the normal kitchen disposal method. This probably doesn't need said, and is not a part of testing.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:58:09 pm by Ozarck »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Ceramic Bread
« Reply #577 on: July 21, 2021, 03:18:33 pm »

Shit.

The speaker goes and finds Genesis.

Turns out the Magi gave us this big library full of books and not a single one of them has anything telling how to create a magic spell!  Might as well give up on magic then, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:20:46 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 21, 2021, 04:24:43 pm »

when I made my water hand into air, did the material changes transfer or did they chain? so was the bowl of water turned flesh then turned air whilst air turned into water? or was the bowl of water turned flesh then returned to water, and the air was turned into flesh? also, dismissing the effect didn't require touching the material-turned-flesh? or did it?

Satisfied with my tests, and relieved that I didn't accidently hurt myself,

I dismiss all current effects of my magic, and then get the best knife for the purpose that I can find, and a several wooden dummies, and begin to attempt to slowly carve them into a pair of full-size wings. I suspect this will take quite some time to complete, and will go slow rather than have to restart partway through if I can help it.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 21, 2021, 04:33:59 pm »

Join in experimentation. Head to the kitchen and sew an onion and a tomato together. End of needle on onion, tip on tomato, then find another onion and tomato and do end on tomato, tip on tomato and compare results
Seems the kitchen’s a popular test area, makes sense as there’s a variety of different item types here
forgot this, it was edited when someone told me of the lack of tools to to magic food making

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 21, 2021, 08:23:06 pm »

Join in experimentation. Head to the kitchen and sew an onion and a tomato together. End of needle on onion, tip on tomato, then find another onion and tomato and do end on tomato, tip on tomato and compare results
forgot this, it was edited when someone told me of the lack of tools to to magic food making

((See this post.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 21, 2021, 08:35:25 pm »

((See this post.))
((thanks, I still want to know whether sewing the end on an onion and the tip on a tomato vs end on tomato tip on onion produced different results))

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 21, 2021, 09:14:56 pm »

((See this post.))
((thanks, I still want to know whether sewing the end on an onion and the tip on a tomato vs end on tomato tip on onion produced different results))
((The problem I see is that there’s no way to request a certain food from the food conduit.  The best you can do is keep throwing stuff you didn’t want  in the disposal and trying again until you get what you want.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 21, 2021, 09:24:54 pm »

Place plates on the conduits until I get 2 of 2 different food items, put the end of the needle on food type A and the tip of food type B, then put the end of the needle on the other copy of food type B and the tip on the copy of food type A
((Type of food isn’t as important as whether they are copies and thus can have the experiment done))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 21, 2021, 09:47:38 pm »

If Genesis can't dislodge the plate from Grey's hand, Grey concentrates on getting the plate to let go.

Once Genesis finishes his routine, Grey links his needle with Genesis's, and tries yanking on the thread linking the needles first once, then twice, and then three times.

After that he tries speaking through the needle's hole now that they are linked.

Since Lambent Flame is coming over to help, Grey links needles with him as well and determines if it is possible to tell who the needle-threads are linked to without being able to see those who are holding the needles.

That done, he picks up another plate and tries the same thing he did earlier, Maintaining the position of a dummy relative to the plate and throwing it.

If there's any time left, Grey tries imbuing his needle with a Maintain object's velocity spell Actually, lets try pushing this. Grey attempts to imbue his needle with Maintain magic, nothing else, just Maintain.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:32:20 am by Fire and Glory »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 116