Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 122159 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Fish Stories.
« Reply #945 on: September 18, 2021, 03:37:00 am »

"Oh FUCK! Hey guys my needle fell overboard!"
Run over and hack at the claw with my rifleaxe.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #946 on: September 18, 2021, 12:44:23 pm »

Team Boat

Youare attempts to swim to the Hammer, specifically the torso or the right leg, the stoutly armoured thing. He then shouts his location down his needle, and attempts to pull the function "transmit" from the Hammer's nervous system. Or hey, just some crucial function like "Respire" or "Move" or similar.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: September 18, 2021, 01:11:21 pm »

<snip>

"Our powers are mutations. They vary depending on the cauldron. I think I know your lot though. Can reproduce anything you eat, and you can eat anything."

He looks around.

"You think you can get out to that lighthouse out there in the bay? We want to get it pointed out towards the sea instead of rotating. But we don't have anyone out there at the moment. You can requisition a boat and some crew. Just say I gave you permission."

<snip>

Yes, of course I think I can do that! Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he firmly shakes the mans hand.  “Where can I find a boat and crew?  And, by the way, I am called Hugh.  What is your name, if I may ask?

After the man answers Hugh’s questions, Hugh goes to wherever the man directed him and requisitions a boat and crew.

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Edit:

((Is the information in this post known to Hugh?))
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 01:33:56 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: September 18, 2021, 08:14:24 pm »

Stab with my needle again, then use the magic to create a giant shark monster (preferably of the flying variety), then tell that shark monster to attack the hammer.
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: September 18, 2021, 09:41:55 pm »

Stab with my needle again, then use the magic to create a giant shark monster (preferably of the flying variety), then tell that shark monster to attack the hammer.

((Can you talk to the shark monster?  I thought you were an anagramist, not an all-tounge.))

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #950 on: September 19, 2021, 03:13:27 am »

Time to do something stupid brilliant
Flame will test out how long magic is stored in these things by focusing the magic from the magitek monster he stabbed earlier into a magitek motorbike, then ramping that motorbike off the conning tower into the hole in The Hammer's chest.
if for one of many reasons the motorbike fails to materialize, he'll try to climb up the beast the old-fashioned way.

Spoiler: Flame (click to show/hide)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: September 19, 2021, 04:23:03 am »

((Can you talk to the shark monster?  I thought you were an anagramist, not an all-tounge.))

((I’ve had no problems communicating with the assassin I summoned using the same method, or the squid from earlier. The Roc wasn’t talkative, but that’s probably because the spell didn’t work right.))
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: September 19, 2021, 11:00:39 am »

((I’ve had no problems communicating with the assassin I summoned using the same method, or the squid from earlier. The Roc wasn’t talkative, but that’s probably because the spell didn’t work right.))
((Ah.  Carry on them.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #953 on: September 20, 2021, 01:56:05 pm »

I didn't want to lose my grip on that. Now I'm not sure I'd travel with the needle. Plan B then.

I turn myself completely into air and (even if my magic fails for some reason) keep myself airborne above the Hammer, out of harm's way, looking for where my needle went and at what is happening around me.

[5]
You flip yourself around with a few flaps and propel yourself higher, chasing your needle into the sky and catching hold of it as it crests its long parabolic arc.  Needle in hand you extend your wings and begin to glide downward slowly, circling over the chaos below.
[1][+1 Fate]
You're looking down on the fight for a good 10 seconds before you are rudely reminded why being very high up carrying a large metal rod in a lightning storm is a bad idea.  The bolt of lightning strikes your needle is seemingly channeled through it and out into the air below, redirecting the brunt of its force. You only end up mildly singed as a result [-1 HP]

Greed shouts:“We need to get out of here!”and blasts the arm of the thing with lasers.
[5]
You again capture the flash of lightning, but this time focus it into a single beam and sweep it down across the Hammer's arm, right at the elbow. The arm separates with a burst of steam, the forearm falling limp into the water but the claw still firmly clamped to the ship.

Well, this is the last place we want to be. Tumbling in water, surrounded by sharks and missing an arm. The hammer can regenerate from its wounds, so maybe its magic can help with that last one.

Grey takes the magic in his needle and uses it to heal his wounds and grow his arm back, and with his new arm he tugs thrice on the needle thread connecting him to Debby.

If he can’t get his arm back or it's useless in some way then he does his best to teleport to Debby while holding onto his needle, either wrapping his hand around the thread and needle both or grasping the needle with most of his fingers and tugging on the thread with a few others.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
[6]
You press the side of your charged needle against the bleeding stump of your other arm and will the magic within to regenerate your arm. There is a flash of blue-green light and something akin to the feeling of sensation returning to a numb limb, but all at once. You immediately shift the needle to the regenerated hand and yank Debby's thread.  You shoot up through the water and the bottom of the ship, up to the deck next to her.  It is only after you catch your breath and move the needle back to your dominant hand that you notice the weight on your left arm. You look and see that instead of a human arm, the magic has regenerated your left arm as a smaller replica of the Hammer's right arm: A giant crab claw. 

"Oh FUCK! Hey guys my needle fell overboard!"
Run over and hack at the claw with my rifleaxe.
You charge towards the claw. You get about halfway there before Greed slices the whole arm off.  Your warrior shout dries up and you are left standing on the deck, weapon in hand, feeling increasingly foolish about all your recent actions.

Team Boat

Youare attempts to swim to the Hammer, specifically the torso or the right leg, the stoutly armoured thing. He then shouts his location down his needle, and attempts to pull the function "transmit" from the Hammer's nervous system. Or hey, just some crucial function like "Respire" or "Move" or similar.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
[1][+1 Fate]
As you attempt to get closer the hammer suddenly shifts its weight, apparently as a result of its other arm being severed. It twists around and its armored belly slams directly into you. [-1 HP] The impact hurts, but not too bad, the real problem is the wave it brings with it. After you bounce off the carapace the rush of water carries you like an unwilling surfer away from the Hammer.

[1][+1 fate]
You take your needle in both hands, raise it above your head...and promptly fall off the Hammer. "Oh right...need hands to hold on." You think as you splash down into the water.  Your needle doesn't have a full magical load but it has some, so as you sink into the ocean you decide to give a spell a shot. [5] You point your needle toward the surface and command the magic within to form a giant flying shark.  The blue glow pours out of the needle and into the water, congealing it into a shark.  The shark isn't quite as giant as you wanted, though its still 15 feet long, and an odd emerald green color. Of course its coloration is nowhere near as strange as its giant fin like wings that have replaced its pectoral fins.  You can't really speak underwater, so you instead point at the shark and then at the Hammer, adding a few meaningful stabs.  The shark turns and shoots off, circling around out of sight.

Time to do something stupid brilliant
Flame will test out how long magic is stored in these things by focusing the magic from the magitek monster he stabbed earlier into a magitek motorbike, then ramping that motorbike off the conning tower into the hole in The Hammer's chest.
if for one of many reasons the motorbike fails to materialize, he'll try to climb up the beast the old-fashioned way.

Spoiler: Flame (click to show/hide)
I'm gonna say no for one specific reason: Ya don't have anything listed as being in your needle so I'm not sure what it is you're talking about. But otherwise the charge will stay in the needle forever, until used. And different magic will intermingle if stabbing other things.

[3]
You leap for the beast's belly from the deck of the ship but miss and instead fall down onto its knee as it emerges from the surf. [6] You jam your needle into the kneecap and proceed to fall off and into the sea as the flesh you're standing on vanishes. The needle glows green-blue.

[6][5]
The Hammer, completely disarmed but rapidly regenerating, staggers back  under a volley of rounds into its face.  Its floated up to its knees now and will soon be out of the water entirely.

<snip>

"Our powers are mutations. They vary depending on the cauldron. I think I know your lot though. Can reproduce anything you eat, and you can eat anything."

He looks around.

"You think you can get out to that lighthouse out there in the bay? We want to get it pointed out towards the sea instead of rotating. But we don't have anyone out there at the moment. You can requisition a boat and some crew. Just say I gave you permission."

<snip>

Yes, of course I think I can do that! Ho! Ho! Ho!”, Hugh laughs as he firmly shakes the mans hand.  “Where can I find a boat and crew?  And, by the way, I am called Hugh.  What is your name, if I may ask?

After the man answers Hugh’s questions, Hugh goes to wherever the man directed him and requisitions a boat and crew.

Edit:

((Is the information in this post known to Hugh?))
"They call me Ericson." He says, scanning the docks. "That boat over there. Red one."

You nod and head over to the boat. Its an older rowing boat, with a rudder and 3 rows of oars. The crew, 8 men, are in the midst of piling in and making ready to go...somewhere. You plant your foot on the front of the ship and declare the new mission Ericson has entrusted the ship with.  The men look at you for a few moments and then nod and continue getting ready. One man, who was standing near the front, motions for you to get in.

"The lighthouse is old. Remnant of ancient times" He says, pulling in a rope from the water. "Magic based I think. No ordinary door. And no ordinary lantern." 

The crew finishes preparations and together you shove off.  Though only powered by muscle and sweat the boat shoots across the bay, weaving expertly through the larger vessels and out across the rough seas until they get within 10 or 15 feet of the rough black rock island where the lighthouse is perched.

"No beach." The boat's captain shouts over the storm. "Gonna have to swim in and climb up the rocks."

Think about the Magi we serve and the Branch of the Atelier. Do I know the name of either of these?
Speak with the woman:

"Greetings. I am called Genesis. My group has been sent to retrieve a lost Rod of Bounty, and to determine how the Rod was misplaced from it's proper place. We were requested by a town about 350 miles south, who have been experiencing both great fishing harvests, and an increase in leviathan conflict over the last eight months or so. My associates are in the process of retrieving the Rod, while I am investigating the cause. My search has led me to a village on the shore, which suffered a collapse about five years ago, falling into the ocean. I understand that after the collapse, some homunculi of a different order than ours - supposedly sent from the Branch office in Ynisk - visited the village to retrieve the Rods that village had been using. It seems that at least one Rod escaped the collectors' attention, sunken as it was beneath the waves, possibly buried under tons of rubble. The town ruins show signs of the wild growth of sea life, which seems to have stalled out over time, likely due to the migration of the Rod out into deeper waters.

In order to fulfill my Master's will and ot honor the Covenants, I request access to any records concerning Rods of bounty for that village. specifically, I'd like to see records showing how many and what kind of Rods were assigned to that village and surrounding area, records cataloguing the retrieval of Rods from that region, and any records regarding any Rods that remain unaccounted for. Additionally, if possible, any information on the specific abilities of Rods and methods of disabling or counteracting their influence would be quite helpful

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
[6]
You consider your existence and origins and suddenly begin speaking, as though piloted by someone else.

"Iteration 31195, Calderon Code: Phlogiston.  Investigation Corp, Patron: Sebiline the All-Seeing."

The woman looks at you for a moment and then her eyes go dull

"Iteration 2392, Calderon Code: Mercury. Capture Corp, Patron: Esalbet of Secrets."

"Sharpe" She adds after returning to normal.

You start your speech and she interrupts you half way through.

"Listen, I can tell you're pretty new. I'm not an official or anything here. I'm here because I was part of the group that did the cleanup at that village."

You must have made a face of some kind because she sits back in her chair and crosses her arms, shrugging.

"That's how the Grand Atelier works. Always one step ahead. I was having lunch in my room just a second ago, you know. Wasn't even wearing these robes....Anyways, yeah, there were 16 rods in that town. We got 15 of them and never found the last. Figured it was smashed since there was no sign of it. No magical resonance, no obvious effects. Not worth the time to dig up the entire sea floor looking for splinters. Might have been brand new, not activated, maybe still in its original case. Must have been buried and uncovered some time afterwards, got loose."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:01:03 pm by piecewise »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: September 20, 2021, 04:09:15 pm »

Greed blasts the monster for good measure, and gets the ship going away from the monster
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: September 20, 2021, 04:54:21 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  A bath you say… I could use one.  I haven’t had one since I climbed out of that cauldron!  Thank you, good Sir!”, and with that Hugh climbs overboard, then swims to the island and climbs up the rocks.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #956 on: September 20, 2021, 05:36:31 pm »

To Grey, Debby, and Luta
"I've learned how the Rod of Bounty got loose. A seaside town collapsed about five years ago and one of their Rods got buried in the sea. How's it going on your end?"

Speak with the woman:
"Yes, thank you. I've been alive for only two missions so far. Can you tell me anything helpful about deactivating one of these Rods?"

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: September 20, 2021, 05:58:27 pm »

Grey's considering how much he wants to climb the hammer while wounded when he gets the call from Genesis.

"Uh, yeah, that makes sense. Some of us are a little worse for wear but I think we've got the hammer where we want it. Lambent Flame said that the rod of bounty is inside the creature so we should be able to retrieve it soon."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 20, 2021, 06:02:53 pm »

((I don't know if Tess is made of air right now or not. It was in her action, but nothing about it was mentioned in the turn. I'm going to assume for now that it didn't happen, especially since it doesn't seem like it would have been helpful anyway))

Descend and turn, attempting to fly into the hole in the Hammer's chest made by the others, and stab it there with my needle, driving the hole deeper and hopefully getting rid of something vital.

((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 20, 2021, 10:44:28 pm »

To Everyone Genesis is linked to:
"By the way, don't forget that your gloves allow you to repel magic. You can shove magic out of people or things. That might come in han - useful, if the Rod is inside a creature. But the gloves get used up in the process."
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 116