Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 122415 times)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Fish Stories.
« Reply #975 on: September 24, 2021, 11:02:01 am »

”could a functionary please pull the function “regenerate” out of the hammer. You can stick it back on yourself afterwards if you want.”
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 24, 2021, 12:19:06 pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho! A door… a door…”, Hugh laughs as he regards the tower.

Hugh Examines the tower, looking closely for any cracks or seams that might indicate a door.  If he finds any, he pokes around near them to see if anything opens.  Failing that, he shrugs his shoulders and gives up, and then proceeds to humor himself by holding the eye of his needle up to his eye and looking at the tower through it as if he were a detective and the needle were a magnifying glass.

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hugh (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle Links (click to show/hide)
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 24, 2021, 04:43:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
greed keeps blasting at the leviathan.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 24, 2021, 05:36:44 pm »

”could a functionary please pull the function “regenerate” out of the hammer. You can stick it back on yourself afterwards if you want.”
((So they can stick it back in the hammer immediately after they pull it out?  Like, before you have a chance to do anything?))

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 24, 2021, 08:32:35 pm »

((So they can stick it back in the hammer immediately after they pull it out?  Like, before you have a chance to do anything?))
((No, obviously not that. I mean the functionary can steal the regeneration trait for themselves.))

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:51 pm »

(My needle fell overboard earlier, so I can't hear what's being said and I can't remember if I have the force so I can get it back.)
(Oh right, derp.)

Grey starts feeling very disorientated after he realizes that the last time he saw Debby she didn't have her needle, but the only way he had teleported onto the deck of the ship was by pulling on the thread connected to her needle, which was not in fact in her possession or on board the ship when he did so.

Pulling himself away from this chronological abnormality, Grey turns his attention back to current events.

"I'm going to try making some space during our next attack, just hold on."

So, the picture of what's happening inside the hammer is that waves of needle attacks are creating a massive amounts of space which is being eroded by the regeneration. For now we're able to create more space than is being erased, which is important to the spell we're going to be doing.

The action:Grey thrusts his needle into the flesh between him and the Rod of Bounty, and during the detonations/flesh absorption coming from his needle and the others, Grey casts a second spell and starts Maintaining the increasing amount of space inside the hammer. It's okay to cast the spell if Grey's needle doesn't do anything, so long as there's at least one needle detonating. He tries to keep hold of the spell lifting the hammer as well.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Needle links (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:18:46 pm by Fire and Glory »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: ...a leaden crown upon the head of glory...
« Reply #981 on: September 25, 2021, 04:49:01 am »

Team Boat

Youare uses his needle link with Grey to escape the water, as before, and relinks immediately. Upon noticing that he's in a small, fleshy chamber, he removes the function "Heal" from the Hammer's flesh, spending a fate point.

He then just jams his needle somewhere near the rod, if it's visible. Or otherwise anywhere, really.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #982 on: September 27, 2021, 02:59:09 pm »

Speak with the woman:
"Yes, that's what he said. We suspected that from the start, since our mission briefing suggested some kind of leviathan was terrorizing the locals, I guess one of the team managed to confirm that."

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: notes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Current link web (click to show/hide)
"Tear it free then. If you break it while its in the thing, all the magic still within it will go straight into the creature. And that's enough juice to power tens of acres of life for decades. You'll end up with a living disaster."

((Asking again…

Is the information in this post known to Hugh?))

Theoretically no, but since it was a reward to the group, I'll assume all newbies just know this innately from now on. Unless you want to roleplay otherwise.
Also, If I miss questions like this, PM'ing me might be a quicker option. I often do these posts at lunch or when I have time, so I might miss stuff.

Ho! Ho! Ho! A door… a door…”, Hugh laughs as he regards the tower.

Hugh Examines the tower, looking closely for any cracks or seams that might indicate a door.  If he finds any, he pokes around near them to see if anything opens.  Failing that, he shrugs his shoulders and gives up, and then proceeds to humor himself by holding the eye of his needle up to his eye and looking at the tower through it as if he were a detective and the needle were a magnifying glass.

[6]
You search around for a door, poking fingers into cracks and otherwise prodding the tower. You find nothing. You consider searching again with your needle....but then think of a faster method. You lean in, open your mouth as far as you can- which is considerable- and take a bite. You chomp through the stone like rock candy. After a few minutes of chomping you have made a hole just large enough for you to wriggle through and into the lightless interior  of the tower.

focus, panic won't help here. stay on target. You're a bit battered but it's not time to bail just yet.
I reorient myself and get off the shark so it can't drag me along into something that could kill me.

I then need to make a snap judgement call. It's crowded here, with two friendlies and a shark that I'd really prefer to not piss off. If I can keep expanding this hole in the Hammer safely then I'm going to do so, but if it's so crowded that there's a real danger of friendly fire then forget that. in that case I'll be getting out and getting clear of hazards, flying back towards the ship and looking for anyone that might have fallen overboard and need assistance making it back aboard.

[6] You sit up, look around at the rapidly filling wound, and decide it is best to get the hell out of here.  You run towards the wound's entrance and leap out with a flap of your wings. The gust from your wings hurls you out and then down onto the deck of the ship. You're not hurt, but you do spend a while skidding across the wet deck until you hit a rack of depth charges.

(My needle fell overboard earlier, so I can't hear what's being said and I can't remember if I have the force so I can get it back.)

"God I'm not accomplishing anything doing this."
Debby then gets an idea that is ether really brilliant or really stupid.

Tell the hammer's body to give up and die so we don't have to keep chopping away at it, also try to remember if I can use the force or something to get my needle back, and if I can do so.
[5]
You shout at the Hammer's body to just freaking die already.  This does not kill the hammer outright, but it does seem to either stop or at least slow its regeneration for the moment.

[3]
You...don't think you have the ability to call the needle back? But maybe it the needle can hear you it will come back if you ask?

Pull Grey’s thread (relink asap). If I'm able to be aware of the rod, then I’ll use a fate point to turn the HAMMER FLESH around the rod into a LEASH. The goal being to create a leash that’s already fixed on the rod. Then I’ll fasten that rod to the shark, and tell it yank as hard as it can. If that doesn’t work, or the spell fails, then I’ll just ask the shark to try to eat the rod.

This is all assuming it wouldn’t be metagaming to know about the rod yet. If I don’t know about the rod, then I’ll teleport to Grey and just start stabbing.

(Edit) Tell everyone what my plan is and wait until nobody is the the way.

Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

[5]
You pull the thread to Grey and ghost up into the very tight confines of the Hammer's chest. You immediately grab the nearest flesh and reform it. In a line, between you and the rod, the flesh keratinizes into tough "leash" around the rod. You throw the end of this leash into the mouth of the advancing shark and command it to pull.
[2]
The shark, "leash" in its mouth, squirms and yanks frantically but the rod never budges.

greed keeps blasting at the leviathan.
[5] Greed blasts away at the regenerating arms of the Hammer, preventing them from returning and blowing away more flesh.

Team Boat

Youare uses his needle link with Grey to escape the water, as before, and relinks immediately. Upon noticing that he's in a small, fleshy chamber, he removes the function "Heal" from the Hammer's flesh, spending a fate point.

He then just jams his needle somewhere near the rod, if it's visible. Or otherwise anywhere, really.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
[5][4]
After you ghost into the already cramped chest cavity of the Hammer you use one hand to rip "HEAL" out of the flesh around you and with the other stab your needle directly into the beast's spine next to the Rod. The resulting vanishing of flesh disappears an entire vertebra and  the flesh crashes down to fill the space, partially dislodging the rod. Its now half torn free and the branching upper portion, chunks of meat between its branches, is jutting forward towards you.

(Oh right, derp.)

Grey starts feeling very disorientated after he realizes that the last time he saw Debby she didn't have her needle, but the only way he had teleported onto the deck of the ship was by pulling on the thread connected to her needle, which was not in fact in her possession or on board the ship when he did so.

Pulling himself away from this chronological abnormality, Grey turns his attention back to current events.

"I'm going to try making some space during our next attack, just hold on."

So, the picture of what's happening inside the hammer is that waves of needle attacks are creating a massive amounts of space which is being eroded by the regeneration. For now we're able to create more space than is being erased, which is important to the spell we're going to be doing.

The action:Grey thrusts his needle into the flesh between him and the Rod of Bounty, and during the detonations/flesh absorption coming from his needle and the others, Grey casts a second spell and starts Maintaining the increasing amount of space inside the hammer. It's okay to cast the spell if Grey's needle doesn't do anything, so long as there's at least one needle detonating. He tries to keep hold of the spell lifting the hammer as well.

Grey, already having fallen victim to the results of an overcharged needle should really know better than going in for another stab when his needle is glowing like it is. But he does, none the less.
[4]
As he stabs the needle in the blinding blue-green light flashes outwards and a single enormous shark made of ethereal magical energy erupts from the needle and out through the flesh. Its giant maw bores a hole through the tissue, swallows up the rod whole, and bursts out of the back of the hammer  like a cannon ball. The Hammer seems to go immediately limp, as though already dead and simply being animated by the presence of the rod.  The magical shark arcs down  and into the water, vanishing as it goes, until only the rod is left. The rod almost immediately disappears beneath the waves, sinking rapidly towards the seafloor.

The men on the ship see the Hammer go limp and immediately begin to cheer. The hammer itself is still floating slowly higher into the air.  The storm almost immediately starts to dissipate, the wind slowing the moment the Hammer died.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 27, 2021, 03:45:29 pm »

I get up and watch the spectacle of the Rod being ripped out of the Hammer for a moment, but upon seeing it go into the water, I need to act.
Darn it darn it darn it darn it darn it darn it!
I rapidly fly over to where the rod landed and dive down to collect it.
Darn it all, I'm loving these wings! I hate having to do this!
As I hit the water, I'm prepared for the loss of my air-wings and the return of my natural ones, and am rapidly converting myself into water to streamline my movement and adapt myself to my environment. I want to get down there and collect that rod before some other sea creature can start turning itself into another Hammer.

EDIT: If I notice others retrieving the rod while I'm still airborne, then I want to abort my actions and simply observe from above, since I would like to keep my wings.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 07:27:22 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 27, 2021, 04:04:51 pm »

Ask shark friend to go get the rod.
Spoiler: Luta (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 27, 2021, 04:10:45 pm »

To my linked fellows:
"Any of you guys someplace stable? I have everything we need here. Also, how goes the battle?"

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 27, 2021, 05:05:20 pm »

It’s dark in here!  Ho! Ho! Ho!  Let’s see… can we just walk up the stairs?  No… it might be dangerous!  What we need is some light! But all we have is darkness, which is the opposite of light!  Wait… the opposite?  I wonder…”, Hugh muses.

Hugh then proceeds to try and eat most of the darkness in the tower, leaving just enough to avoid being blinded by the light that’s leftover.  If this works, he finds the stairs to the top and carefully walks up them.  If not, he carefully gropes around in the darkness until he finds them and then carefully ascends on his hands and knees while being careful not to slip or fall off.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:06:53 pm by A_Curious_Cat »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 28, 2021, 04:42:34 am »

"Huzza we killed it! Does this mean we can go home now?"
Yell over the side of the ship for my needle to return to me then get far from the side so it can't potentially harm me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 28, 2021, 08:44:57 am »

To my linked fellows:
"Any of you guys someplace stable? I have everything we need here. Also, how goes the battle?"
"We killed the hammer, most of us are inside the thing so not exactly stable. Can't talk long, the rod fell into the water and we need to get it back."

Is there any magic left in the needle?

Grey tries to make his way down to the ship without getting in the water.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:21:13 pm by Fire and Glory »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 28, 2021, 11:18:46 am »

On top of lifting the hammer Grey Maintains the magic shark's current position. The magic shark that stole the rod to be specific, not any of the other ones.
Quote from: magic shark action this last turn
The magical shark arcs down  and into the water, vanishing as it goes, until only the rod is left.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 116