Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon Question.  (Read 3205 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Weapon Question.
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

What do you think would be more effective in combat?, an Iron Two-Handed Sword, or a superior Bismuth Bronze Scimitar that menaces with spikes of superior groundhog leather, exceptional cougar leather, and superior wolf bone?
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Question.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:03:00 pm »

If you have both, throw the first and charge in with the second. If you have to choose one, then gauge your strength. If the zweihander slows you down, go with the scimitar, because the damage is all nice, but the speed is crucial. The twohander will do more damage. (66 base for copper scimitar, ~100 with superior versus 140 for the twohander)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

Is speed a factor in combat now, or am I using an old version?  Use the two-hander. :3
You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

The overall speed is always a factor, as it determines how quick you act. If you carry too much weight, the speed goes down. Depending on your strength, the two-hander may or may not bog you down. My recent dark elf character couldn't fight with a twohander without slowing down, so he had to settle for using it as a projectile weapon and then hack away with a longsword. He was mobbed and squashed even then, however. (darn goblins)

The bottom line is - just like in real life, in DF, he that strikes the first blow, if it is hard enough, may not need another. The problem is, landing the blow may be difficult if you get beheaded while you swing.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Sean, it's not copper, it's bronze, thus base damage is 75, not 66.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 05:08:00 pm »

Hm? Oh, right. Well, a two-hander is still more powerful, even in that case, but yeah, all things considered I'd probably go for the scimitar. I'd prefer for a masterwork aluminum two-hander though, because I like two-handed swords.  :)

grendel

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:51:00 pm »

I believe weapon quality also helps you attack accurately, so the scimitar will be best despite the lower damage. Anyway two handed swords are so cliche. Go for the scimitar.   :)

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: grendel ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

I don't know, two of my pet peeves involve scimitars.  Namely, when people pronounce the C, and when people see a falchion and call it a Scimitar.  Stupid Runescape...
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »

Falchion and scimitar, falchion and scimitar...  Falchion is more or less just a curved broad blade, right? A scimitar is a broad, curved, pointy thing that's sharp on the other side than you'd expect, or at least that's what I remember...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 04:14:00 pm »

A falchion is very wide-bladed, like a machete.

A scimitar is thinner, and longer, like this:

Shoes...