Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1900 Revision Phase.  (Read 6193 times)

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. Pre-Game Design Phase.
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2021, 01:16:46 am »

We should do a ship revision so that we are better placed for naval warfare

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2021, 07:46:07 am »

Quote from: Votebox
Combat Dress: (1) TricMagic

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2021, 04:26:59 pm »

How do we feel about a new uniform?  Those Duchy Idiots already made one, now they're making us look bad.
I like it. I wonder if we should add anything for flavor... Maybe we should go for a cloth wrapping on the entire helmet. It'll add slight padding and prevent the helmets from shining in the sun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2021, 06:06:49 pm »

Combat Dress: (3) TricMagic, eS, Sensei

Done.  I've also taken the liberty of adding you to the vote box.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2021, 08:22:54 pm »

Combat Dress: (4) TricMagic, eS, Sensei, Madman

Just paint the helmet green/same color as the uniform, and maybe have a green(ish) uniform rather than grey? Grey isn't really the best color unless we get into urban combat. Green drab, olive green, multicolor green, brown, any of these are slightly better. Besides, grey is the Prussians' thing.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation.
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2021, 11:02:41 pm »

Confederation Combat Dress 1900:
Rather than betray tradition and uproot deeply-held sentiments about how brightly-colored a Battle Dress should be, the Confederation Combat Dress is designed for infantry in combat, not battle.

The durable wool shirt and trousers will keep soldiers warm in the cold and wet, and the drab grey coloration makes stains less visible (as well as the wearer).  Sleeves can be rolled up in the warmer months, and a trenchcoat keeps the men warm in the winter.  Simple brown leather boots are bound with flat, wide cloth to both support the ankles and prevent bootlaces from coming loose in inopportune times.  The uniform comes with a leather belt and a leather harness over the shirt, which includes pouches for ammunition and other supplies.  The helmet (a stellar new concept among infantry) is thin steel in a simple half-sphere shape.  The front and back of the helmet tapers outwards both to avoid jabbing the neck and to provide a stubby sun visor, and the helmet comes with a cloth cover to blunt the sharpness and keep it from being shiny.  The helmet certainly won't be stopping any bullets, but should be sufficient against shrapnel caused by enemy artillery.

Patches and rank are sewn into the collars and shoulders of the uniforms.

Dice Gods Say: You get a 9. Whoopie.

The new pattern of Combat Dress preforms as expected, the troops well like the harness and new helmet though men are warned from attempting to stop bullets with it. There isn't much to say about it other than that it works as intended.

It is now the Design Phase once the battle report is written. Hand tight my dudes.

Confederation Armory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great War Arms Race: Kalcha Confederation. 1900 Revision Phase.
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2021, 11:22:11 pm »

So what are we smellin' next turn? I know we definitely want to get our oil back (I was surprised that resources are placed so that the first turn of combat causes some to be gained/lost!). I'm thinking we might want to get on something that will benefit us in the hill region. As far as I can tell it hasn't devolved into total trench warfare yet, so maybe we can keep up with the mobility theme by making some lightly armored cars or motorcycles (baby steps before doing tanks, it's only 1901). Or maybe it's too early for anything motorized, in which case, eh, heavy machine gun (or maybe replace our artillery). I have a bad feeling about our luck in that region if the enemy has made a decent HMG.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2021, 11:55:44 pm »

So what are we smellin' next turn? I know we definitely want to get our oil back (I was surprised that resources are placed so that the first turn of combat causes some to be gained/lost!). I'm thinking we might want to get on something that will benefit us in the hill region. As far as I can tell it hasn't devolved into total trench warfare yet, so maybe we can keep up with the mobility theme by making some lightly armored cars or motorcycles (baby steps before doing tanks, it's only 1901). Or maybe it's too early for anything motorized, in which case, eh, heavy machine gun (or maybe replace our artillery). I have a bad feeling about our luck in that region if the enemy has made a decent HMG.

Some Heavy Artillery would be cool, I think - maybe a 120mm howitzer?  Or more infantry equipment, like a shotgun or grenades or sidearms.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2021, 02:10:15 pm »

Looks like a dead stalemate. The Vorn have proper heavy machine guns (or at least well-cooled medium MGs) but it hasn't had a terrible impact on us, so I think we're fine in that department. Looks like the obvious wishlist right now is:
  • SMGs
  • Heavy Artillery
  • Light Artillery
  • Tanks or armored cars that can cross trenches

Still think it might be too early to begin motorizing. We probably want something that can benefit us as widely as possible. Since heavy artillery isn't useful in the crazy volcano island (unless maybe we go naval), light artillery or SMGs are the logical choice. Light artillery could take the form of a mountain gun with a high maximum angle (we need the vertical drop for trenches) or a man-portable field mortar.

If we get the +1 from a good national banner next turn, then it might be time to pursue a tank.

If we want to push it on the revision, we could try to squeeze in a considerable redesign of the Ganaa: make a second version which gets us our portability and high angle all in one. Then we could use our design for an SMG, and get both in one turn. The revision for the Ganaa would be highly risky though.

Quote from: SMG Name Me
IDK it shoots some 10x30mm round nose bois from a 40-round stick mag and fires short recoil from an open bolt.

Quote from: Uul Ganaa 75mm L/12 (Mountain Cannon)
This revision of the Ganaa uses the same shells, breech and a similar barrel, but reworks the mount and furniture entirely. The entire cannon can be disassembled and carried by a team of 5-10 men, preferably but not necessarily with the help of a couple pack mules. The mount is new, and has a crank for precise elevation up to 80 degrees. The rest of the mount can be disassembled into pieces each no heavier than 20kg. The breech can be disassembled from the barrel (hopefully it already can), and the recoil piston can be separated from the barrel as well. The barrel itself is only 900mm in length (or as short as our testing finds to be suitable). Its new capacity for high-angle shots allows it to be used from safe positions inside trenches and close to the enemy, or in mountainous terrain. Assembly should hopefully be doable inside of 15 minutes, and most parts are standardized to bolt together with a wrench and 20mm head bolts for this purpose. Oh yeah, it would also be nice to stop the breech from exploding, but if we can't do that we'll just tell the men to abandon them after 100 firings or something. If the barrel needs to be thicker, this should be accomplished with a separate sleeve which can be removed from the barrel for transport. Hopefully we can just use better quality metal.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2021, 07:52:45 pm »

Godstrike 120mm Howitzer Model 1901

A 120mm artillery piece designed to out-range Duchy Moron fieldguns and harass Duchy Idiots who hide in trenches like Fucking Cowards.

The howitzer rolls about on two wheels with a hitch allowing it to be rapidly towed from place to place by horse.  It features a gun shield, hydro-pneumatic recoil system and an interrupted screw breech.  The Godstrike primarily fires HE shells, which are packaged in complete powder+shell brass casings. A compass embedded in the frame allows the gunners to determine azimuth of the gun, and a handcrank matched to a notched ranging strip allows the gunners to determine angle.  The barrel is quite long for artillery, sitting at 1.8 meters.  Fire rate is expected to be (with a decently skilled crew) 1 round every 6 seconds. Elevation can exceed 45 degrees, but the angle notches do not go that far.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:16:59 am by evictedSaint »

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2021, 09:55:08 pm »

Quote from: Bolt Gun
Noticing a distinct lack of efficient armour-piercing, explosive side-arms in the Armoury, the engineers have decided to take a Great Leap Forward, and construct a top of the line Bolt Gun. It was a heavy rifle that would launch tungsten-tipped bullets that were propelled by extremely advanced fuel that would propel it a bit like a fire-work except with a lot more power and speed, into the enemy, whereupon it would explode shortly after impacting. Due to being a unique design, focus was made on making a working prototype that would be made more common. No expenses were spared

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2021, 02:10:27 am »

Quote from: Bote Box
(1) Godstrike 120mm Howitzer Model 1901: eS

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:14:15 am by evictedSaint »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2021, 02:17:05 am »

(2) Godstrike 120mm Howitzer Model 1901: eS, Sensei

This is probably gonna be a complete failure but I'm too tired to write another version so YEET

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2021, 11:52:24 am »

It looks like we're ready to go ahead with the Godstrike, since nobody else is voting. Meanwhile, I've created a regimental banner. It combines badly-traced historical art to strike fear in the hearts of our enemies and those with artistic integrity, as well as transparency, to strike fear into the hear of Maxim who likes to just use MS Paint.

DRAGON GOES BLEP
The 100th Artillery Regiment is actually the first dedicated artillery regiment formed by the Kalcha Confederation, although there have been cannons assigned to infantry regiments before. The generals in charge of forming the regiment decided that starting the numbering at 100 would make the size of Kalcha's army appear far larger.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:59:22 am by Sensei »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2021, 12:47:14 pm »

(2) Godstrike 120mm Howitzer Model 1901: eS, Sensei, TricMagic

This is probably gonna be a complete failure but I'm too tired to write another version so YEET
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9